Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edmunds' Tesla Model Y Performance - test results:
  • Braking: 60-0 mph 108 ft
  • Cornering: 200 ft skid pad 0.95g
  • Acceleration:
    • 0-60 mph 3.4 sec (w. 1 ft rollout)
    • 1/4 mi 11.8 sec @ 115.6 mph
Comment: reports that there is no 'roll-back' of power on repeated full-throttle acceleration runs which occurred w. earlier Tesla models (SRPM in rear of Model Y vs AC induction motors only in pre-Raven Models S/X)

But... did they figure out how to adjust the sound system volume?

https://twitter.com/edmunds/status/1272560728524771331?s=21

upload_2020-7-4_20-26-52.jpeg

Take a wild guess who is from Los Angeles.

I hope you folks know this well-publicized visit to Tulsa is just PR. It creates the appearance the decision is going down to the wire, shows Tulsa some respect and allows Elon to personally convey his thanks for their strong interest.

Terafactory Austin is a done deal. I assume the announcement will happen no later than Battery Day (or perhaps shortly after the tax abatement is approved by Travis County Commissioners Court).

I hope occurs right after the NADA regulatory capture is RESCINDED; and a free market economy is restored.

True, but a non-negligible amount of the short interest is due to convert holders.

If I remember correctly, @ReflexFunds did a calculation on this at some point, and suggested 6-7M of the short interest could be attributable to the convert holders.
Not only that, but the absolute size of the short position has doubled. With the SP on the May 31, 2019 reporting date, there was only $8.08B at risk by shorts.

With the latest report as of Jun 15, 2020 there was $15B at risk by shorts. And the SP closed about 22% higher on Friday than on Jun 15.

Let's see if there's net covering on the next report, but it will still not cover the period when the Q2 P&D report was available.

TL;dr Shortzes haven't left the building.

Cheers!

I hope you folks know this well-publicized visit to Tulsa is just PR. It creates the appearance the decision is going down to the wire, shows Tulsa some respect and allows Elon to personally convey his thanks for their strong interest.

Terafactory Austin is a done deal. I assume the announcement will happen no later than Battery Day (or perhaps shortly after the tax abatement is approved by Travis County Commissioners Court).

A PR stunt in which everyone, even Musk, apparently went without masks and seemed to pay no mind to social distancing.

A PR stunt in which everyone, even Musk, apparently went without masks and seemed to pay no mind to social distancing.

You are visiting *Oklahoma*, one of the most conservative states, for a business trip. Are you going to be a SJW to lecture the governor for not wearing a mask or talking about EV plant?

Also they are hosting the event in an windy outdoor, less likely to have transmission.

You are visiting *Oklahoma*, one of the most conservative states, for a business trip. Are you going to be a SJW to lecture the governor for not wearing a mask or talking about EV plant?

Also they are hosting the event in an windy outdoor, less likely to have transmission.

No, you put on a mask before meeting with these Okie oil-and-gas climate-denying nincompoops and you cordially give them some of your time and you say a few pleasant words and then you get back in your vehicle and have your driver hand you the maximum strength Purell and as you disinfect from fingertips to elbows, the driver makes a beeline for the Gulfstream, already taxi’ed into position and holding at the end of the runway, where you hop out of the car, toss the mask on the tarmac, climb up the steps of the Gulfstream, secure the door, lean into the cockpit, and tell the pilot, “punch it” then collapse in your chair, fasten the seatbelt, and as the two engines reach max thrust, you grab your phone, speed-dial the team working Austin and tell them to get that deal done even sooner.

I can vouch for retiring early if possible. The human body begins an inevitable decline that really begins to impact the quality of life for most in their mid-to-late sixties. And, if retiring early is not possible, at least set aside time to pursue activities and experiences that stir the soul, but require a higher level of energy than the majority of those who retire late have left in reserve. Do not enter your seventies with regret!!!

Advice!

F39A691C-5587-4751-9F0B-61DD00C5B050.jpeg

OT
Stay healthy. I stopped going into an office regularly a year ago. Still working from home, but my time is much more flexible. I’m in better health now (eating habits, significant weight loss, exercise) than I have been in 25 years. Im in my early 60s and I feel like I did in my 30s. Even the pandemic "helped" as I was outside much more this spring running, walking, biking.

My plan/hope is that TSLA returns will make for enjoyable times when I stop working for good in a year or two. When combined with our pensions and other (boring) investments we should be in a very good place.

Last edited:

upload_2020-7-5_0-12-50.png

They seem to be eating/drinking in that picture - difficult to do while wearing a mask. Is that his mask on his arm, looks like he removed it just for having a snack. Also, Musk is clearly > 6 feet away from others, so he is socially distancing. My 2 cents, Musk is taking precautions without going overboard.

Not only that, but the absolute size of the short position has doubled. With the SP on the May 31, 2019 reporting date, there was only $8.08B at risk by shorts.

With the latest report as of Jun 15, 2020 there was $15B at risk by shorts. And the SP closed about 22% higher on Friday than on Jun 15.

Let's see if there's net covering on the next report, but it will still not cover the period when the Q2 P&D report was available.

The dollar amount of the short interest is not the amount at risk, that's the amount it would cost them to cover if they covered now. Their loss would be calculated by subtracting the price at initiation of the position plus the borrow cost from the cover cost. The amount at risk is unknowable (essentially infinite). A short-seller is legally on the hook for any amount the share price might spike to as their broker notifies them of their margin call.

Cheers!
If the 6-7m short shares being used as a convert hedge is true then these don't need to be "covered" with cash collateral as the convertible notes are doing that Job. Meaning the $ figure will increase with the share price without any covering pressure. Only the remaining 8-9m would be subject to the standard covering conditions.