Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$97,000,000.
So $37,000/acre for that POS? In Texas?
I must be wrong in thinking how terrible a purchase that was. And I can't be alone. Please explain it to us.
FWIW, it's a great location. Next to Austin airport and a nice 5 lane, low traffic toll road runs right through it. It's Austin anyway, the most expensive city in TX.

$97,000,000.
So $37,000/acre for that POS? In Texas?
I must be wrong in thinking how terrible a purchase that was. And I can't be alone. Please explain it to us.
Elon said they placed a lot of weight behind where their critical employees would be willing to live. I spent a year working in Austin weekly and I can definitely understand why people from CA would prefer Austin to say Tulsa (no offense to Tulsa). I'm an east coast transplant to the Midwest myself. KC is a very livable city, but I would be pissed if I had to live in Dallas and would quit before moving to Houston. The plot is also pretty close to the core city/airport. On top of that, Goodenough and his lab are right there at UT.

Give it 10 years and this plot of land will be worth far far more than it is today. Probably a great investment as Austin is going to keep growing.

What they gonna do .. drive themselves into the landfill site ?!?

Elon's answer: why dump garbage into the earth...
back-to-future-ii-mr-fusion-home-energy-reactor-replica-xl.jpg

FWIW, it's a great location. Next to Austin airport and a nice 5 lane, low traffic toll road runs right through it. It's Austin anyway, the most expensive city in TX.
And any environmental would have already been “discovered” by MM... they started construction day 1. Side note: I hope Elon buys nland and opens it back up. It’s been closed for 2 years!

LOL...so they are going to make an autonomous car that makes the distance from the airport almost a non-issue, and they buy right on top of Austin?
Everyone has a blindspot... Elon's appears to be real estate.
California? when all the other car companies pulled out for obvious reasons
Nevada? poor choice in every way except tax incentives
And now Austin for $37,000/acre...like they couldn't have gotten land for $3000/acre 30 miles from Austin, and with FSD that is like next door.
I'll say it.... Elon needs to hire Trevor to pick his sites.

Elon's answer: why dump garbage into the earth...View attachment 574492
Uh uh, no way. We should NOT build AI robots that are powered by organic carbon materials. You think the Terminators were bad? Imagine if they were trying to EAT you.
Tesla would never have happened if it had not been for California.

LOL...so they are going to make an autonomous car that makes the distance from the airport almost a non-issue, and they buy right on top of Austin?
And now Austin for $37,000/acre...like they couldn't have gotten land for $3000/acre 30 miles from Austin, and with FSD that is like next door.
This factory will cost billions, cost per sf of the land is probably way down on the priority list

There is no $3000/acre land anywhere near Austin/San Antonio/Houston. You have to go way west. And any “vacant” land would run into environmental.

I'm a retired software guy. I have great confidence that Tesla is far ahead of everybody else based on a single thing: they have pretty much thrown out all their software and rewritten it from scratch. Twice. Having the courage to do that is rare. But with what is essentially a research problem it is the only way to succeed. You have to build a real system, then throw it out when you finally understand enough to know how you got it all wrong. That takes money and time, both of which are almost never available in sufficient supply.

The only reason this is possible is because Elon is a software guy (among his many other talents).

Now this is no guarantee that Tesla will solve the problem. But I'm reasonably sure that nobody else will get there before them.

Would you say that it was the plan all along? Tesla software team has been on this problem since 2017. They did not want to wait until V3 hardware was shipping in volumes to start their work. They still needed to do a lot of work on image recognition, path prediction and planning. They used V2 to build a lot of those models and once V3 arrived they started expanding their software capabilities by writing a software base that fully takes advantage of V3's capabilities

Power as a reason... hmm let me think? What could Elon do for power if he didn't have power lines right there? let me think?????
And as to start building...BS...he drug his feet acquiring the land for Cybertrck. If time was an issue he knows how to expedite. (If he hasn't got a crew already nailing down the next factory SITES then I misunderstand the man.) And it is evident how much of a sow's ear the land was/is. He has to drain the swamp and refill before he can do any real building. And he bought a property split by a highway. And in a higher tax municipality than he DAMN well should have.
Nope, noone has real given a valid reason for even purchasing the land at that price, nevermind how much more it will cost every year once the tax reductions are removed.
I am beginning to think Elon has such bad Real Estate sense that when he gets to Mars the colonization will have huge setbacks due to him losing his shirt from buying land from the Martians.

That is still pretty limiting in terms of what you can do and can really impact performance.

I'd bet good money that this is just like their semi contracts. No money down, and the customer can cancel at any time.

“Nikola specializes in heavy-duty, zero-emission Class 8 trucks. The refuse market is one of the most stable markets in the industry and provides long-term shareholder value,” Milton said in a statement.

oh yeah totally, that's my specialty too! lol
Those are some expensive CAD drawings of garbage trucks they just bought...actually, they just released the CAD rendition:

upload_2020-8-10_7-7-32.png

Agreed, Trevor's track record of establishing a factory where he has hot talent on tap is well established :rolleyes:

I don't know real estate, but consider this: $100M for the land is a drop in the bucket if you are building a large factory and will hire a talented engineering team. If you assume that salary+benefits costs per employee are $100k (which seems low to me, that won't even get started on hiring engineers -- unless your Trevor and you uncle's nephew is happy to take an engineering title for cheap) that is only 1000 employees. In reality it would be fewer.

In short, if the information is real and Tesla paid $100M for the land -- who cares? It will be dwarfed by employee costs in the first year, and those will be recurring costs.

[edit: slipped a decimal place, but even an order of magnitude doesn't substantially change things]

If Tesla had selected the exact same Albuquerque site as the original 2007 Model S “WhiteStar” factory they announced to great fanfare but then abandoned (the land is still vacant), I bet they could gave gotten it for $5 million or so.

There is no $3000/acre land anywhere near Austin/San Antonio/Houston. You have to go way west. And any “vacant” land would run into environmental.

West is the Hill Country where any large parcel is way over 10K per acre. You would have to go out past Junction to get land for $3K per acre, and the environmental, transportation and housing costs would be beyond reason.

Power as a reason... hmm let me think? What could Elon do for power if he didn't have power lines right there? let me think?????
And as to start building...BS...he drug his feet acquiring the land for Cybertrck. If time was an issue he knows how to expedite. (If he hasn't got a crew already nailing down the next factory SITES then I misunderstand the man.) And it is evident how much of a sow's ear the land was/is. He has to drain the swamp and refill before he can do any real building. And he bought a property split by a highway. And in a higher tax municipality than he DAMN well should have.
Nope, noone has real given a valid reason for even purchasing the land at that price, nevermind how much more it will cost every year once the tax reductions are removed.
I am beginning to think Elon has such bad Real Estate sense that when he gets to Mars the colonization will have huge setbacks due to him losing his shirt from buying land from the Martians.
Do you recall that Elon rode the train from Berlin to Brandenburg to get a feel for what the commute would be like for workers? Did you listen to recruiting advertisement disguised as an earnings call only interrupted for a plea for more (responsibly mined) nickle?

When you are talent constrained (Nikola motors isn't, you can hire photoshoppers to work remote for cheap) you have to provide work where they are willing to be. The fact that Trevor isn't concerned with this should be a red flag to investors. The fact that Musk is concerned with attracting good talent is a good sign for investors.