Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I could quickly find that I imagine he could send me to Austin with a budget and I could find something much closer with transportation avenues available, AND a lower tax base, Which employees could FSD to with little issue.

I'm sure the cost of the land was not the deciding factor. There are tax breaks, amount of power available, water supply, zoning, housing, quality of life for employees (for recruiting and retention purposes), and other things to consider.

YOU have made a very good point..the frailty of the human mind..even of a pool of "good talent." I still can't come to terms with it mattering that the land be 30-50 miles outside of Austin for the initial purchase and tax benefits. FSD should make the short (by time) drive almost negligible.
But then perhaps he paid 10x as much for the land because he recognized the talent pool.
With my now understanding of the HUGE price he paid for the property I am led to believe this will become the site of the "Global Hub" of Tesla.

Just because FSD May get you there with little effort to you, it doesn’t magically cut time off your day. Especially if the work you need to do is on site or work a full shift on site. If the work you can do is remote, then no need to come in at all.

Also don’t forget, his pay is tied to Tesla’s market cap so he has every reason to want to see TSLA go up

I think it's clear from numerous comments that Elon does not run the company while thinking in terms of the share price and when he will meet the criteria for his next payday. And that appearance is supported by the fact that his pay package was wisely designed to NOT activate solely on share price levels. The underlying performance of the company is what really matters - the share price levels that should roughly correspond to the underlying performance were only added to make crystal clear that this record-breaking compensation package only gets activated AFTER shareholders have been more than amply rewarded for the performance provided.

Because Elon and company know that if the company performs as planned, the share price will take care of itself.

Power as a reason... hmm let me think? What could Elon do for power if he didn't have power lines right there? let me think?????
I assume you are intimating that Tesla could set up an independent solar/battery power station for the factory out in the middle of nowhere. But they can buy solar/wind right off the grid in Texas if they specify that. Giga Texas can be renewable right from the start with no upfront costs (other than connecting to the grid).

1400 can trigger a massive sell-off. We’ve been there before where it would just skip the 1300’s and go down to 1200 levels

I totally disagree with that. There is nothing special about any particular price level. If it behaved that way at a previous place in time, it was due to the particulars at that time, not anything magical about the $1300's.

While anything can happen, I've recently mentioned (a couple of weeks ago) that the high $1300's might be in the cards. It has looked to me like that would be a natural place to re-visit for some time.

Us today.
help-me-im-poor-quote-1.jpg

This parcel appears to have been zoned and had environmental permission for open pit mining. This probably had the positive consequence that permission for leveling the place in preparation for a factory was streamlined. I have been surprised that we have not seen a lengthy environmental submission on the factory, which is subject to public comment and the whole works. I have been taught to fear NEPA reviews, so I wonder why this isn't a thing here.

The parcel is also contiguous, except for the area West of the toll road.

Cost of the land is trivial in relation to delaying site construction and vehicle revenue .. they will recover the cost in short order once vehicles are coming off the line at up to 1000% improvement in manufacturing process o_O
To add what others have mentioned when determining the value of commercial real estate, having a site that is shovel ready can save years in regulatory hell. I lived in Texas right out of college and coming from New York, it was quite liberating to find out Texas had no zoning laws.
This certainly could speed up the process compared to the paperwork and approval nightmare here in New York but I'm certain there is still some of that as we saw during the town hall meeting. Being able to start right away could make the $100MM seem like chump change in time saved compared to the normal approval process.

YES, indeed, but (rhetorical question, but who knows, maybe I'll get some inspiration just venting out) what if you're stretched being already all in? What additional sources of cash can one get - by definition all main ones are tapped out.
Some people still work for a regular paycheck, man.
I don't anymore, but I did, and back then I would dedicate a large percent of that check to TSLA