Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla pushes to upgrade Destination Chargers with Gen 3 Wall Connectors, enables paid charging

I wonder if this change will meaningfully shift the incentive structure for businesses to install a lot of these things. It's one thing for Tesla to pay for the installation of these chargers but then require that the electricity be free of cost. If businesses can start to realize marginal revenue on the other hand, there's more incentive for them to install it than just attracting a few more well-to-do Tesla-owning customers. Especially forward-looking businesses who see where the electric vehicle market is going.

And it fits in your pantry quite nicely too!

we may laugh, but small cars like this sell plenty in Europe. People don’t want trucks in the cities here, even a Model 3 is a fairly large car relative to most I see.

Tesla needs that compact car, and then it’s game-over, seriously.

People forget that Tesla barely made it out alive trying to produce an affordable EV at scale. With Musk at the helm, with some of the world’s brightest engineers and the world’s clearest, most galvanizing corporate mission.

But all these upstarts, including the elder Rivian, are just going to swim into volume production. I wish them all the best, but the gauntlet Tesla ran with the Model 3 needed not just talent and determination but a little bit of luck too.

$1400 SP = the new $1500 SP...until further notice :)

Studio_Project.jpeg

Let's just say the misspelling was intentional. The missing E is because umm, they don't understand Electric cars.

Last edited:
back to the Lucid AIR for a moment...I appreciate a few of you thinking for me. Especially the guy that posted that the Lucid AIR's main competition will be luxury ICE vehicles (I don't know I would have figured that out).
But here is one thing not mentioned.... a sumbitch that can pay $150,000 for a car is going to fly wherever he is going if it is 500 miles away. The "500" mile tag just means you don't have to charge it till you get home when you drive it like a teenager for 300 miles/all day. That's just one example. The more miles a vehicle can go on one charge just bumps out the range anxiety a little more in relation to everyone's personal driving habits.
Going from 400 to 500 miles to one person might mean making it from Sunday night to Friday night without having to feel the need to charge; no more having to charge when you get home from work Wednesday or Thursday For someone else it might make the chore of charging to always be Sunday night instead of every five days to be sure.
A 400 mile battery means recharging when you stop for a meal. That's tolerable. Whether it is to get you another 300 miles down the road or just to make it that last 50 without your butthole tightening up. The return is significantly diminished for another 100 for the vast majority.
When I read that my Cyber will give me 500+ miles I will expect 350 miles the way I drive. Big whup, Way before then I'll wanna eat. Interstate eateries will be putting in Superchargers by the RORO loads.

If the Lucid Air truly gets an EPA range of over 500 miles, that would negate much of the supercharger network advantage that I thought Tesla would enjoy for many years. For most people, they rarely travel over 400 miles in a day, much less 500.
The 500 is based on EPA. Most people won't get anywhere near that when on road trips. So, no, it doesn't negate the Supercharger advantage at all.

People forget that Tesla barely made it out alive trying to produce an affordable EV at scale. With Musk at the helm, with some of the world’s brightest engineers and the world’s clearest, most galvanizing corporate mission.

But all these upstarts, including the elder Rivian, are just going to swim into volume production. I wish them all the best, but the gauntlet Tesla ran with the Model 3 needed not just talent and determination but a little bit of luck too.

They are going to outsource the hell out of their cars, taking the margin and profits.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Interesting that all my stocks with blowout earnings is down 10-15% from it's post earning AH rally while all other companies that have reported loss of infinity like carnival and AMC are up 15% since their earnings. The transitioning is real. Play tech stocks prior to earnings because it's not a dumpster fire, then take profit and cycle into dumpster fire stocks until next earnings season.
be careful a lot of those stocks that reported losses are now value traps

But here is one thing not mentioned.... a sumbitch that can pay $150,000 for a car is going to fly wherever he is going if it is 500 miles away.

If that same $150,000 vehicle buying "sumbitch" does roadtrip, then there damm well will be a destination charger at the hotel they are staying at, or the hotel or Lucid customer service better bend over backwards to point/shuttle them to the most convenient charger.

Can you really blame them though? How does anybody compete with Tesla in the EV space? Like for real... how does anybody compete with Tesla's offerings? I don't think anybody can realistically hope to come even close. Tesla continuously lowers prices, improves the specs, adds ADAS capabilities, improves its software, improves the performance through OTA updates, etc. at a blistering pace, and the competition is still having difficulties matching the 2012 Model S. And this it with a ton of incentives and various EV/ZEV/NEV credit systems that are supposed to make things easier for them.

As a result, Tesla has on the order of 80% market share in the US EV market, it now looks like Tesla has also captured a majority of the China EV market while Giga Shanghai is still only operating at a fraction of its full potential, and soon the same thing will happen to the remaining EV markets.

Who is going to interrupt this trend, and more importantly how? Tesla looks to be on track to do the same thing to the automotive industry as SpaceX has done to the commercial launch services industry: disrupt it so hard that all incumbents become completely obsolete and irrelevant.

Competitors have to try something, and directly competing with Tesla is not favorable to them. Rivian was smart to do a pick-up truck, but it is taking too long and now the Cybertruck will be here soon. Lucid also has to differentiate itself somehow, and they've chosen to do it by trying to appear more luxurious with a (for now) much higher range. If Lucid tries to compete with any of Tesla's models directly, their offering will be $10-20k more expensive and probably still not compare favorably (autopilot, software, safety, etc.). Not many people would choose Lucid over Tesla in that case. With this strategy at least some people who are looking for a more luxurious car might choose Lucid or the Taycan over the Model S/X.
I agree with the majority of your post, however; there will be a market for never-Tesla consumers ... just as i could not fathom how you could buy another smartphone after the iPhone came out... it eventually happened ... with android and a collection of smartphone hardware ODMs that were able to compete with Apple ... i suspect something similar will eventually materialize within the auto industry ... a SW company partnering with one or more HW companies... and just like AAPL getting lion share of profits in smartphones vs competitors TSLA will get the lions share of the profits in automotive.. so from investment POV i am not at all worried about competition

I agree with the majority of your post, however; there will be a market for never-Tesla consumers ... just as i could not fathom how you could buy another smartphone after the iPhone came out... it eventually happened ... with android and a collection of smartphone hardware ODMs that were able to compete with Apple ... i suspect something similar will eventually materialize within the auto industry ... a SW company partnering with one or more HW companies... and just like AAPL getting lion share of profits in smartphones vs competitors TSLA will get the lions share of the profits in automotive.. so from investment POV i am not at all worried about competition

Eventually some consumers rebel against the superior product because they don’t want to be sheep.

It’s just human nature, so there’s always a small fraction of the pie for the scavengers.

If that same $150,000 vehicle buying "sumbitch" does roadtrip, then there damm well will be a destination charger at the hotel they are staying at, or the hotel or Lucid customer service better bend over backwards to point/shuttle them to the most convenient charger.
I'm absolutely going to road trip with my Roadster 2 (and before that Tri motor CT). Flying is awful and I've done far more than most. If it's only 5 hours away I'll drive in a heart beat, and unfortunately I don't think I'll get to private jet money just from TSLA.