Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Certainly the pandemic has a lot to do with it, but take that out of the equation and I’m not convinced the percentages change that much. Why would Tesla be so much lower? We know working at Tesla is an all-in prospect with often an imbalance of work to family ratio. I say it’s culture and having a real life important mission.

I’m not familiar with Cisco culture and mission, but certainly there’s a thing to be said about being your own boss, making your own hours, doing something you like to do like drive and socialize that would put Uber low on the list.
I used to work for Cisco back in 2010 as a pre-sales engineer. While it was nice to be able to travel and visit clients in other states and countries, the burn out factor among the engineers was crazy. Some weeks, i was putting in 80 hours between travel and site visits. The $$ was great, however if you really broke it down, the time away from home and family was definitely not worth it.

A perhaps interesting datapoint for Tesla battery day.

Tesla Powerwalls are in extreme short supply, and even California installers who are installing 120 + units per quarter have no supply, its been this way near 2 months now.

This is in my mind likely related to the battery day announcement. I wouldn't be surprised to a see a new PW3 with new million mile cell chemistry available by then.
That's probably more to do with MegaPack ramping up and energy storage market heating up

Tesla Powerwalls are in extreme short supply, and even California installers who are installing 120 + units per quarter have no supply, its been this way near 2 months now.

This is in my mind likely related to the battery day announcement. I wouldn't be surprised to a see a new PW3 with new million mile cell chemistry available by then.

While they likely could announce a new PW product or update on Battery Day, I could see the reason it's been in short supply being because Megapack is getting all of the cells right now. Better economics for Tesla on every unit sold over a PW.

Last edited:

Is it lack of supply or greater demand due to COVID? Generac has also reported very high demand for their whole house generators (and presumably their battery backups).

I used to work for Cisco back in 2010 as a pre-sales engineer. While it was nice to be able to travel and visit clients in other states and countries, the burn out factor among the engineers was crazy. Some weeks, i was putting in 80 hours between travel and site visits. The $$ was great, however if you really broke it down, the time away from home and family was definitely not worth it.
I traveled weekly (mon-thursday or so) for maybe 7 years. It's very rough on your health and personal life. I've been lucky to be staffed locally for 5 years now and in the post-covid world I doubt I'll ever need to travel like that again. Some think this all goes back to normal after the vaccine, it won't. (for good and ill)

Is it lack of supply or greater demand due to COVID? Generac has also reported very high demand for their whole house generators (and presumably their battery backups).

I traveled weekly (mon-thursday or so) for maybe 7 years. It's very rough on your health and personal life. I've been lucky to be staffed locally for 5 years now and in the post-covid world I doubt I'll ever need to travel like that again. Some think this all goes back to normal after the vaccine, it won't. (for good and ill)
Demand for solar is crazy high because of Tesla's reduced price which is an opportunity for them to sell power walls. People will be surprised this Q on solar installation.

Amen....i have been independent since 2018 and have been remote since then. I only have to travel during cutovers but i am definitely happier and more content now to waste my time with my TMC family! :)

Demand for solar is crazy high because of Tesla's reduced price which is an opportunity for them to sell power walls. People will be surprised this Q on solar installation.

Reason I love the non-car division of Tesla. Analysts and general public only looking for that jab but gets surprised with a kick in the balls. The whole time TMC stocking up on protective cups... Analogy ran away from me.

I just learned this recently. It is gun powder. Dry because it will ignite and explode any moment.

I always daytrade like this

tenor.gif

Reason I love the non-car division of Tesla. Analysts and general public only looking for that jab but gets surprised with a kick in the balls. The whole time TMC stocking up on protective cups... Analogy ran away from me.
So, a cup and handle forming?

My cup runneth over. Need a bigger cup.

If the Lucid Air truly gets an EPA range of over 500 miles, that would negate much of the supercharger network advantage that I thought Tesla would enjoy for many years. For most people, they rarely travel over 400 miles in a day, much less 500. I've always said that the best way to eliminate the ONLY deficiency that EVs have to ICEs (refuel time when traveling) was to increase range to a number that would mean no refueling was be necessary for almost any trip. 517 miles isn't quite it, but it's not very far off. It does drastically reduce the requirement to charge at all while travelling. I know most of the trips I'm willing to make by ground could easily be done one way on 500 miles.

And even when charging does become necessary, it potentially significantly reduces the time you spend charging since you may only need a little more juice to make it to your destination. For example, if you are traveling 550 miles, you would only need to stop some time during the 2nd half of your trip to add around 100 miles. If you're only getting 400 miles of range, that would need to increase to 200 miles (which would also take longer proportionately since charging slows as capacity is filled). This is what I have always tried to tell the "200 miles of range is all you need" people like Fred Lambert - it may be all you NEED, but it's mighty inconvenient when traveling.

With those things said, I will not hold my breath on that range being a reality. We've all heard the mighty range promises - none have ever been fulfilled (except Tesla). Also, I've always believed that Tesla has not shown their hand when it comes to range because, well, why would they if they are already well ahead of everyone else?

Last thing I will opine on this is just to say that I was telling a friend Sunday that Tesla needs to start racing their cars in some capacity. The one thing anyone that races will tell you is that racers are EXTREMELY competitive. They will use all the ingenuity they find to get an advantage. No one will find more advances in battery technology than engineers working on electric race cars. Ironically, today, Lucid announces 517 miles of range - giving credit to the battery technology they developed where?......at the race track providing batteries for Formula E.

Don't take the Lucid Air as a serious competitor for Model S. They won't announce production plans until Sep 2nd, but are they going to 'poof' af factory out of the air? Powerpoint?

Roadrunner will be announced by Tesla on Sep 22nd. I'll be watching for a 500-mile rge Model S by 2020Q4, likely long before the tiny trickle of Lucid's hit the Air. :p

And I do expect Telsa to beat 'Elon time' on this prediction from 5 years ago:

Expect A 500-Mile Electric Car By 2025, Says Tesla's Elon Musk | GreenCarReports.com (Nov 11, 2015)

Cheers!

Not only that. Why does anyone think that a $150000 car will have any impact on Tesla or TSLA. This is laughable.

If the Lucid Air truly gets an EPA range of over 500 miles, that would negate much of the supercharger network advantage that I thought Tesla would enjoy for many years. For most people, they rarely travel over 400 miles in a day, much less 500. I've always said that the best way to eliminate the ONLY deficiency that EVs have to ICEs (refuel time when traveling) was to increase range to a number that would mean no refueling was be necessary for almost any trip. 517 miles isn't quite it, but it's not very far off. It does drastically reduce the requirement to charge at all while travelling. I know most of the trips I'm willing to make by ground could easily be done one way on 500 miles.

And even when charging does become necessary, it potentially significantly reduces the time you spend charging since you may only need a little more juice to make it to your destination. For example, if you are traveling 550 miles, you would only need to stop some time during the 2nd half of your trip to add around 100 miles. If you're only getting 400 miles of range, that would need to increase to 200 miles (which would also take longer proportionately since charging slows as capacity is filled). This is what I have always tried to tell the "200 miles of range is all you need" people like Fred Lambert - it may be all you NEED, but it's mighty inconvenient when traveling.

With those things said, I will not hold my breath on that range being a reality. We've all heard the mighty range promises - none have ever been fulfilled (except Tesla). Also, I've always believed that Tesla has not shown their hand when it comes to range because, well, why would they if they are already well ahead of everyone else?

Last thing I will opine on this is just to say that I was telling a friend Sunday that Tesla needs to start racing their cars in some capacity. The one thing anyone that races will tell you is that racers are EXTREMELY competitive. They will use all the ingenuity they find to get an advantage. No one will find more advances in battery technology than engineers working on electric race cars. Ironically, today, Lucid announces 517 miles of range - giving credit to the battery technology they developed where?......at the race track providing batteries for Formula E.

The Lucid Air will be about 150k so only a very small group of consumers will be able to enjoy the range(if it actually get's that range). So it doesn't negate anything. It'll be many, many years before they get that car down to a price point at that range where it'll actually make any difference, if ever

Doesn't matter anyways because Tesla will be the first one to 500 miles range, both with the Model S and the new Roadster. I see the Roadster easily being in production before this thing as actually ships.