Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm a TSLA investor. Since Elon is active on Twitter I joined too.

But perhaps half the tweets from Elon I'm never notified about. Like this plaid one. I had to click my way around to find it. Just to see it was posted 16 hours ago.

Is there a better twitter client than the official one?

halp_orange.jpg

Elon Musk @elonmusk
One day soon, I will wear this outfit

EfGmp2jU0AA0z0e

I see two messages in this:

1) Elon is happy and playful because things are going very well.

2) Plaid powertrain is coming soon.

So I'm a TSLA investor. Since Elon is active on Twitter I joined too.

But perhaps half the tweets from Elon I'm never notified about. Like this plaid one. I had to click my way around to find it. Just to see it was posted 16 hours ago.

Is there a better twitter client than the official one?

View attachment 575038
I don't twit, but when I do, I use a browser and click "with replies" if I want an expanded exposure.
YMMV. HTH. GLTA. Etc

Volume is just anemic. I am trying to buy in very small blocks with limit orders, and orders that would normally get filled in seconds are not filling.

All bets are in. Perhaps a bit early but they’re in. Now it’s just an extended sale for the discount shoppers. Not clearance, just an excess of coupons...

The 500 is based on EPA. Most people won't get anywhere near that when on road trips. So, no, it doesn't negate the Supercharger advantage at all.

You might want to read this article. Car and driver tested the car right along side a Model S Long Range Plus with 402 EPA rated range. When the Model S went into limp mode at 357 miles, the Air still had 20% capacity left. No, that's not over 500, but it is in the neighborhood of 460 miles at highway speed. That is still enough for most people's drive in a single day.

Lucid Air EV Has a Projected 517 Miles of Range

I want Lucid and Rivian to suceed.

Tesla will never get 100% market share. Not happening. 25% is probably the absolute maximum realistic value.

GM et al are going to drag their feet on EVs until their demise.

It will be mostly new companies that become the big boys in the EV transition.

I used to want Rivian to succeed as well. That went out the window when they thought IP theft was the way to go. Now I hope that they crash and burn.

who the hell is the market for this. I can afford one, but I don't want one. Why would I? Most people spending > $100k are likely in their forties or fifties. A lot of them are men. I don't know about you, but at age 50 no way will my bladder let me go 500 miles without a stop. So why would this have ANY value?

To be fair, its a decent strategy to start with a high price car and work down, its the teslas model, but teslas model worked when there was no competing EV. Now there is. its 10x harder for them.

Why would anyone want a car that does zero to 60 in under 5 seconds?

517 miles under ideal conditions means 300 miles under the most adverse conditions.

That gives me full bladder distance plus peace of mind.

Lots of people love the 650 mile range on their Prius or 700 mile range on their diesel even though there are gas/petrol stations everywhere.

It will be mostly new companies that become the big boys in the EV transition.

I used to think this, but now I’m not so sure about the new companies.

Who’s going to buy their stuff unless it is priced at least close to Tesla? You can be anti-Tesla all you want, but if the comparable vehicle is 10k+ more, that won’t fly with consumers for very long.

But here is one thing not mentioned.... a sumbitch that can pay $150,000 for a car is going to fly wherever he is going if it is 500 miles away.

i paid roughly $150k for my P100D and i've flown maybe 6 times in my life. Also I drive the Model S to Canada (about 550 miles) and back every summer. Added an additional trip to South Carolina in it last year (also 500+ miles).

The return is significantly diminished for another 100 for the vast majority. When I read that my Cyber will give me 500+ miles I will expect 350 miles the way I drive. Big whup, Way before then I'll wanna eat. Interstate eateries will be putting in Superchargers by the RORO loads.

This line of argumentation is doomed to fail and isn't ever going to convince anyone they don't need more range. Humans have never, ever responded positively to being told "yeah but you don't actually *need* that thing you say you want".

Of course they failed to mention that the battery pack in the Lucid was about 30% larger than the 100khw in the Model S...bigger battery = more range??? Who would have thought?

Do you have a source for the 30% larger battery? According to Car and Driver, the battery is much smaller now.

"Lucid recently shared its slippery 0.21 drag coefficient, and earlier this year, at an event for reservation holders, Rawlinson showed off the vehicle's single unit that houses the transmission, inverter, and motor. Lucid hasn't shared its battery capacity yet, but it's lower than what the automaker had originally planned. "In fact, we started off with a 130-kilowatt-hour pack . . . we announced that back in 2016. It's not that size. We've gone down quite a lot. And that's what I'm thrilled about because I want to get the numbers with a smaller pack, not a bigger pack," Rawlinson told C/D."

You might want to read this article. Car and driver tested the car right along side a Model S Long Range Plus with 402 EPA rated range. When the Model S went into limp mode at 357 miles, the Air still had 20% capacity left. No, that's not over 500, but it is in the neighborhood of 460 miles at highway speed. That is still enough for most people's drive in a single day.

The fact that it has been prove/shown that a Raven S gets over 400 miles on a highway trip from SF to LA and they only managed 357 miles should tell you something about this comparison.

Did you not get anything from the many early prototypes of the Taycan where Porsche led on that the Taycan would get well over 300 miles and indicated it by the "available battery range" on the screen during test drives? Dude come on, it's very obvious Porsche was lying and was purposely inflating numbers through the software. And yet you're willing to take Lucid at their word? OK :rolleyes:

I'm not saying Lucid is a scam, but everyone right now is trying to show how they could have any potential tag line over Tesla. Don't be surprised when they walk down/back these specs or the price goes higher as it gets closer to production

i paid roughly $150k for my P100D and i've flown maybe 6 times in my life. Also I drive the Model S to Canada (about 550 miles) and back every summer. Added an additional trip to South Carolina in it last year (also 500+ miles).

This line of argumentation is doomed to fail and isn't ever going to convince anyone they don't need more range. Humans have never, ever responded positively to being told "yeah but you don't actually *need* that thing you say you want".

The biggest reason to increase range IMHO, is so that we can increase travel speed.

Reactions: kcveins
a sumbitch that can pay $150,000 for a car is going to fly wherever he is going if it is 500 miles away.

My XP100DL+ cost me €154k (and that was after €40k showroom discounts, etc.) and I avoid flying like the plague, so not necessarily true.

And here I am in south of France, with wife, three kids, two small dogs and everything but the kitchen sink. Try getting all that on a plane...

And here a gratuitous photo for you all, to brighten up the miserable SP action - 11 days left to go here, but boy, it's hot!

upload_2020-8-11_21-20-9.png

Last edited:
My XP100D cost me €154k (and that was after €40k showroom discounts, etc.) and I avoid flying like the plague, so not necessarily true.

And here I am in south of France, with wife, three kids, two small dogs and everything but the kitchen sink. Try getting all that on a plane...

And here a gratuitous photo for you all, to brighten up these miserable days - 11 days left to go, but boy, it's hot!
Did you misspell "cats"?

EDIT: Also be careful, wine can be almost as powerful as beer!

I'm intrigued by the idea that they can get 500 miles with a less than 130 kwh pack. It means the Air is at least as efficient as the S.

Tesla isn’t untouchable in all aspects. I don’t doubt that someone can engineer similar efficiency. Or a similar driver-assist/autonomous system. Or a similar OTA software setup. The problem is that it is highly unlikely someone can match Tesla with the total package AND sell it for anything close to Tesla.