Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just cancelled my GTC'ish orders - will be adding new ones post split. Just in case. Probably not necessary but just to be safe. My broker (Nordnet) only allows share prices 20% or so above current. And only 2 months duration. So I have to be vigilant and adjust upwards frequently.

To celebrate the 2k share price we've just had a premium piece of meat and a nice bottle of red. Both cost less than a post split share so not that much over the top. :p

Apart from that I am a longish long who don't understand much about the perils of being short.
I just wish the expression naked short hadn't entered my mind. The images flashing in my mind are not very decent. :eek:

And I just realized I had a 10-bagger back in the 1800's. Another reason to celebrate with a nice bottle. :cool:

I set GTC sell orders at ridiculous prices way back when in case of a squeeze. The lowest of those was at $2800 in my Roth IRA.

That uh, doesn't seem so ridiculous anymore. I guess I have to raise it (onky intended for sudden squeeze purposes).

• Informative
Reactions: Christine69420
Just cancelled my GTC'ish orders - will be adding new ones post split. Just in case. Probably not necessary but just to be safe. My broker (Nordnet) only allows share prices 20% or so above current. And only 2 months duration. So I have to be vigilant and adjust upwards frequently.

To celebrate the 2k share price we've just had a premium piece of meat and a nice bottle of red. Both cost less than a post split share so not that much over the top. :p

Apart from that I am a longish long who don't understand much about the perils of being short.
I just wish the expression naked short hadn't entered my mind. The images flashing in my mind are not very decent. :eek:

And I just realized I had a 10-bagger back in the 1800's. Another reason to celebrate with a nice bottle. :cool:
Is it Sell orders or Buy orders we're worried about?

Over in Shanghai Jason Yang released a new video. Buildings look more completed on the outside. And the number of Model 3's ready for shipping is growing.And is there another building or a parking lot being planned to the north of the most recent building? The low one close to the triangular one?

When I watch these GF construction videos, now on three continents simultaneously, I often think of how amazing it is that Tesla’s capex is not exploding. During the Model 3 development and production ramp capex was killing Tesla’s bottom line. Now they are building 3 gigafactories and expanding Fremont, yet capex spending is very much under control. To me this is one of the most important achievements of the management and engineering teams and it gives Tesla a huge (cost) lead over the traditional OEMs.

...and did you have the same U.S. Broker during that time? Not a very diverse sample set on which to base a conclusion.
Yep I'm basically one of Fidelity's "dead" clients been with them since the 80's. I was a Peter Lynch fan. Most of my investments are tech from the early 90's rode right through the bubble without noticing. Still hold CSCO, MSFT, Intel from back then. Finally dumped my HP stocks last year for some more TSLA. I sold a few things along the way but not too much. I was pretty much a hands off investor for 25 yrs with just the occasional check in and pruning. Honestly I was just lazy and also held a lot of mutual funds too. The system did work pretty well :)

Got a reference for your U.K. Sep 3rd for the issue of dividend stocks? And that is NOT what the OP wrote from his Broker: they said 'they don't know exactly when' the dividend shares will be issued. This is a HUGE red flag.

The timeline was to illustrate the TD Ameritrade vs Hargreaves Lansdown timelines though Sept 3rd (approx) would have been more accurate.

Any smart lawyer would not guarantee a date that is dependant on others, that would lead to liability.

From their web site, posted early enough to be actionable.
https://www.hl.co.uk/shares/shares-search-results/t/tesla-inc-usd0.001
Click 'subdivision'
Details (last updated 14 Aug 2020)

Tesla Inc has announced that it will carry out a 5 for 1 split of its shares, effective at the open of trading on NASDAQ on 31 August 2020. The split will be completed by giving you a bonus 4 shares in addition to each share you hold at close of business on 28 August, thereby increasing your holding by 5 times.

The price of Tesla Inc shares will adjust to take the split into account as soon as the market opens on 31 August. We expect the share price to be approximately 20% of what it was the day before. This means you’ll have more shares but at a lower price. We don’t expect the overall value of your holding to be affected. The company is conducting the split to reduce the share price to a more accessible level.

It’s expected that the new shares will be issued by 3 September, but this can’t be guaranteed. The new shares will be credited to your portfolio once we’ve been issued with them. Please note that from market open on 31 August, until the shares are credited to you, your holding will show a value of only 20% of its real worth. This will correct itself as soon as the new shares are added to your portfolio. If you sell your shares at any point during this period please bear in mind you are effectively only selling a fifth of your entitled holding and will still get the bonus shares credited shortly after.
Meanwhile TSLA will be trading at ~1/5th it's SP , and every UK stockholder would be denied access to 80% of their rightfully owned TSLA equity from Aug 31 to Sep 2nd.

What happens if a corporate event occurs during those 3 days, or S&P announces after-hrs on Aug 28th, but UK shareholders can only trade 20% of their equity for the next 3 days? Or more, depending on an unspecified what?

That is a risk the users of that brokerage take. Just like their trading period does not line up with the US market. Some UK markets are closed the 31st too, is that HL's responsibility?

Do you think that's a libel lawsuit, or a breech of trust lawsuit? It's going to take more than a snippy blog post to right that wrong. There is huge exposure to liability here.

A random poster accusing a brokerage of lying and other fiscal malfeasance has nothing to do with a breach of trust. Nor is calling said poster on it snippy. If you have actual data to show HL specifically will have the shares pre open August 31st, then post it.

The brokerage is not exposed to any liability, the brokerage disclosed the process and delays at least a week ahead of time. Further, if one takes into account their offshore stock disclaimers that I posted.

Every time I watch these GF construction videos, now on three continents simultaneously, I ponder on how amazing it is that Tesla’s capex is not exploding.
It's the magic of non-recourse local loans (GF3/Shanghai), and Eurozone carbon offsets from FIAT (GF4/Berlin).

Not sure how Giga Texas will be fund yet, but at this point Tesla actually needs places to put all its FCF, with Model 3 ramping to 500K+/yr that's ~$2.5B/yr in gross profit from Model 3 alone.

That's some 4D chess right up in there, wot? ;)

Cheers!

Thanks a million, literally, to this forum. I’m happy to say this week I’ve joined the Teslanaire club. Started buying the stock in early 2018 after reading Ashley Vance’s biography about Elon, recognized his vision was the right one for doing something constructive to address climate change (by trade, I’m a federal scientist that studies climate effects on endangered species), luckily discovered this discussion board in mid 2018, and went all-in over the next year as I learned everything about Tesla from reading your posts 20-30 minutes a day, everyday. I’ve learned more about investing from this hive mind in the last 2 years than the previous 18 going it alone. My portfolio and prospects for an early retirement and doing good for my family and friends have swollen beyond my wildest dreams and life going forward is irrevocably altered regardless of how the stock may fluctuate over the next decade or more that I continue to hold it. In particular, my thanks for wealth wisdom & technical insights over the last few years to: Neroden, FactChecking, StealthP3D, The Accountant, Reflex Funds, KarenRei & dozens of others that contribute nuggets of gold to this collective.

My family still doesn’t own or drive the cars but unbeknownst to the wife, she’ll find a M3 parked in the garage for her next xmas morning, which’ll be joined by my Cybertruck a few years later. We went solar on our new house several months ago and look forward to driving exclusively on sunpower in the years ahead. We didn’t start out as a wealthy family, and the thought never crossed my mind of owning Teslas a few years ago when I started buying the stock, but it’s just the next logical thing to do. Millions of other families will reach that same conclusion in the years ahead and the fossil fuel era will pass into history as that process reaches its culmination. I just hope that Elon’s brilliant plan and execution of the plan have come soon enough to avoid catastrophic climate consequences later this century—that part of the story is yet unknown and to be written. But at least now we have a fighting chance & we'll have some fun while in the fight! Thanks Elon, thanks TMC. Dan
Can we get something above the 'Love' rating? Congratulations Dan. You and your wife are going to love to go for a drive soon. Over two years since I bought mine and I still try to find excuses to go somewhere.

Why do you think volatility will be reduced? I'm not sure it will. In fact, it may even increase as a much bigger percentage of the float will be locked up in S&P 500 index funds, drastically reducing the number of shares available for daily trading. Lower liquidity tends to exaggerate stock movements (well, that's the theory).
I see your point. I thought that having a goodly percentage of shares locked up would create more stability because any fiddling with phantom shares would show up more (assumes phantom shares are a significant part of the volatility) so there would be less inclination to create them.

• Informative
Reactions: Right_Said_Fred
Let's take a poll on how much toilet boy has lost in the last 2 weeks:

upload_2020-8-22_10-27-21.png

Along the topic of naked shorting and being forced to deliver, I just wanted to add this picture from my broker: Ally Investments.

The first time I received this option to enroll in securities lending was this past Monday, 8/17. I have no idea if it's related, but the timing is interesting.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200822-104732_Ally Mobile.jpg
    Screenshot_20200822-104732_Ally Mobile.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 85
Got a reference for your U.K. Sep 3rd for the issue of dividend stocks? And that is NOT what the OP wrote from his Broker: they said 'they don't know exactly when' the dividend shares will be issued. This is a HUGE red flag.

Meanwhile TSLA will be trading at ~1/5th it's SP , and every UK stockholder would be denied access to 80% of their rightfully owned TSLA equity from Aug 31 to Sep 2nd.

What happens if a corporate event occurs during those 3 days, or S&P announces after-hrs on Aug 28th, but UK shareholders can only trade 20% of their equity for the next 3 days? Or more, depending on an unspecified what?

Do you think that's a libel lawsuit, or a breech of trust lawsuit? It's going to take more than a snippy blog post to right that wrong. There is huge exposure to liability here.
Any shares sold next week will include transfer of the other 4 shares and will be sold as if they were 1 share.

Brokers and banks always have lots of fine print in their agreements with their customers. Banks don't have to give you your money in a timely fashion if they don't feel like it. Brokers don't have to honor your attempted trades in a timely fashion either. When everything is calm and normal things generally happen in a reasonable way. But if things are chaotic, or your particular institution is having its own troubles, then they can certainly screw you with no legal consequences. To some degree anyway. Certainly delays of a day or several are within the bounds of the legal and possible.

This is true in the US. I assume it's at least as bad in other places, but I don't know.

its possible the original poster misinterpreted the brokers response. cust serv is usually terrible at brokerages, and DTCCs service desk is worse

brokerages will generally relay canned response like
"DTCC's estimated pay date is xxx", or something a little more crisp than that,
dtcc generally gives estimated allocation date,
then theyll credit the participant and update the pay date on the same day
but to mongo point, there can be a hop or two if the structure of the brokerage one is using isnt direct participant of US DTCC...so potential delay (even in this day in age!)

so in this case it doesn’t sound ominous to me. it’s just plain ol brokerage customer service ignorance

as opposed to the brokerage telling the customers that they don’t know the ex date of the split, or that the split shares will be allocated later then the actual pay date - that would be bad

again some brokers allocate corp action proceeds differently..so it depends
but i would imagine all of them give you some 'placeholder' on ex date so that your acct value is inline with market pricing

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger