Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Operational leverage makes profits scale faster than production once the break-even rate is reached.

IE: if you must make 100K cars to break even, and 110K production gives you $100M in profit, then increasing production by just 10% to 121K gives you 100% more profits.

It's because once all the fixed costs are paid, the Gross Margin per car filters down directly to Gross Profit.

We passed that happy inflection point in 2020Q2, even with the Fremont factory idle for half the quarter. Q3 will produce monstrous profit. :D

Cheers!

Yes, operational leverage is the key metric to understand how Tesla and TSLA have reached escape velocity.

In the beginning of the debate, Trainer introduces why he thinks TSLA is a risky investment as compared to other autos. By the end it is clear all other auto stocks are risky. It's a bit painful to listen to Trainer use fancy words to describe how outdated his company's method of investing is, so i recommend you fast forward when ever he speaks and resume to listen to Maurer who is definitely worth your time.
He seemed to discount all of Tesla's plans for production, while assuming the legacy makers deserved the benefit of doubt.

Sold my Jan 2021 720 LEAPs yesterday and bought stock with it.

In retrospect, I should have sold 1/3 and exercised the rest. The time value is much smaller than the tax hit.
I see that the strike is deep ITM.
However, with several events before end of October (3 months before Jan 2021), and IV likely going up a bit further, you don't seem to value the leverage (move % as against stock) making the risk/reward worth it?

Would you hold if the strikes were ATM or a little OTM?

Reactions: UncaNed
Starting the bender early i see :)
I often don't drink for months. Right now I am up to beers in the backyard with a buddy every Friday afternoon. He's been a friend for 37 years. Now he is so old he doesn't like to drive his Harley after dark..because the old people can't see him. When he goes home the cooler gets put up for another week.
And rarely do the 2 of us get through more than a 12-pack.
EDIT: I am slightly envious of those that enjoy alcohol so much they can do it regularly. I see it as a health risk more than a panacea.

While we all (longs) look at the mirror and say you lucky devil. Imagine the angst that the engineers at Tesla Grohmann are going through. As I remember they made a stink to drop stock options from their contract. That has to suck but at least they get to work for Tesla and maybe they can rectify that on their next contract.

I think the deal struck in April 2017 included stock options for Grohmann workers: Tesla Grohmann Automation workers given job guarantee and more pay

In addition to stock options worth approximately 10,000 euros and a bonus of 1,000 euros first agreed upon in April of this year, workers will also receive a reported 150 euro increase in their monthly salary.

Based on falling demand in China:

upload_2020-8-27_12-0-13.png

I like TSLA's meteroic rise. It is definitely justified.

The weird thing is that ppl in a new social group is showing off their tsla gains left and right. While a person convinced many others to join him to daytrade tsla and aapl.

Meanwhile I am there pretending to be dumb. :cool:

At least I don't think this is a shoe shine boy moment yet. As the ones who acted are at least upper middle class to rich in status. This is probably the crossing the chasm moment.

that looks comically desperate. is this crazily abnormal?

is the delta hedging on these calls driving the buying?

I have no idea!

I check these numbers from time to time. And numbers like today I cannot remember seeing earlier. Perhaps others can.

I don't know of any historical lists either to compare them to.