Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good question and in fact this buy is a play for the P&D that I was making at the end of Q2, 3 & 4 last year. So I borrow money from my company, buy X shares, then after the P&S sell X-Y shares to recoup the same amount and then give the money back. As the SP invariably rises at this time I was able to get myself around 15 free shares last year, then the SP went too high to make it practical. So back on it.

Of course there's a risk the SP drops and I might lose a handful of shares to recoup. Most probably though I'll just keep these shares anyway and pay the money back as I've 4x 16/10 c1800's, sorry, I meant 20x 16/10 c360's that will provide quite some funds.

As for the timing of selling the core shares. If we decide to buy then we'd be putting an offer probably next week, maybe some horse-trading on the price, then set a meeting with notaries (lawyers...) to sign an "intent to purchase" agreement, which would require a 10% deposit - say $100k sometime around October, probably, then the rest, let's say $900k would be three months later, so January.

Then the rest would be for renovation works, which wouldn't be up-front, I can imagine trickle-selling the shares over the course of a year for that - and I will sell covered calls against what I have left in the interim.

I have 2885 shares now, would love to get to 3000 before I have to sell any, just because, plus the multiples of 100's for call selling (I' still thinking I have 570 and am trying to get to 600...)

Hmmm...It seems the belief that TSLA could not be substantially below the current price in a few months is embedded in your reasoning. While it might be more likely to be $800 than $350, that doesn't explain your willingness to hold calls that will expire worthless if it's the latter. The future is always uncertain. My confidence in holding TSLA stems not from my confidence that the overall market will stay strong indefinitely (it won't), and not from the inability of TSLA to have trouble (either of their own making or unavoidable outside influences) because I know that is possible. My confidence stems from the fact that I won't need to sell any in the next 2-3 years and that Tesla can easily weather such challenges. But the market price will be volatile.

I'm just trying to be helpful here with another perspective here so don't take this wrong. I think your goal to get to a specific number of shares is counter-productive to beneficial investing behavior. The number of shares you might wish to own is irrelevant. Goals are over-rated, particularly when they attempt to quantify things that shouldn't be quantified. A general goal, such as becoming more patient with others, managing short-term risk more skillfully or learning to be a better cook) can be helpful. A goal that is just a number is counter-productive. There are enough challenges an investor must deal with (such as risk management, market volatility, etc.) that adding on another one that is completely irrelevant to the task at hand (managing risk while maximizing performance) should be avoided.

And maybe the architect we have looking at the house on Friday tells us it's $1m to renovate and my wife bails-out...?

A couple thousand dollars slipped quietly into his palm with a wink and a nod could save you a lot of time, money and regret. ;) /s

Seriously though, while it's very important to have a house that you like, big, deluxe houses are often over-rated. What matters are things like location, light exposure and window placement, layout and traffic flow, kitchen function and that all this works for your lifestyle. So many large, expensive houses fail at basic things that really matter. Most people are terrible house shoppers because they think they want things that aren't really important to their personal happiness.

Ladies and gentlemen...i think we have 'made' it finally :) It only took 2 months to make $$, but it doesn't list how much it has lost...typical FUD :)

A Tesla triple-leveraged fund is finally having a day in the sun, soaring 40%

upload_2020-9-2_13-58-41.png

upload_2020-9-2_13-59-37.png

I've noticed whenever there is a headline about an EV manufacturer it invariably begins "Tesla rival xxx.....". They can't help themselves. They have to bring Tesla into the story. It's particularly noticeable when reporting on the Chinese EV manufacturers. On the other hand when GM announces its results or any other news, the headline is never "Ford rival GM...."

In some ways it's irritating but looking at it the other way, maybe we should welcome it. Tesla has become the benchmark for electric vehicles, the gold standard. It's impossible to report any news about electric vehicles without a comparison to the leader of the pack.
It is interesting though that the term has evolved to "Tesla Rival" from "Tesla Killer." Perhaps the media has finally woken up to the fact that there is no one out there that can wipe Tesla off the map, but there are potential competitors, and interestingly enough, many of them are headed by people who previously worked at Tesla! The ICE OEM's can talk a good game, but none of them are close to matching Tesla in the near future. It takes folks who are trying to emulate Tesla in order to possibly compete with them.

Trades do not settle until T+2, so when you have a buy and a sale on the same day like today - you can log in tomorrow and match the buy and sale off each other(By ID or whatever the respective term is) and let the original cost basis hold for your holdings.

This can be done online as well - Fidelity and ToS both have this, so am guessing other trading platforms also allow it.
View attachment 583535

(Not arguing or disagreeing, @agastya, just wondering)

Really? The person who bought their shares won't give them back. And the person who sold them the 'replacement' shares won't take theirs back. I mean, it's not like you can phone up these arms length parties and say "whoops". How could the broker ignore this? Compensate for any change in SP? Why would they?