Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I get the reaction.

But there's an argument to be made that if a reviewer can think autopilot is engaged when it's not, that's a user interface issue that ought to be corrected. Perhaps whether the small steering wheel icon is gray or light blue is not sufficiently in-your-face? It's pretty important to know whether you are supposed to be in control or the AI is, and that indicator is not as obvious as it could be for such critical information. (It has happened to me before that I double-pulled the right stalk and yet didn't manage to do it correctly and engaged cruise control but not autopilot. So it's plausible to me that this wasn't malicious -- I can't tell from the Twitter pics whether cruise was engaged.)

Thus, even if CR ought to issue an update/correction, I think there's something for Tesla to learn here too. Even so, I would take that to be an opportunity for ongoing improvement as opposed to "fixing a problem."
Or you could just glance a bit to the right to see if there are blue lines marking the sides of your lane or one single blue line down the middle of your lane.

Reactions: UncaNed and UCF3
Previous "free supercharging" has anything to do with an Investor's Roundtable IMHO. Let's move on...

upload_2020-9-5_21-39-33.png

Take this index and shove it
I ain't investing here no more
My stock done left out and took all the reasons
I was investing in S and P for
You better not try to stand in my way
'Cause I'm walkin' out the door
Take this index and shove it
I ain't investing here no more

I drove my Tesla 100 mph briefly this afternoon to forget about SandP! :p

Last edited:
I’m a newly minted (mostly on paper!) multi-teslanaire, so I thought I should throw some of my new money at BPTRX to get some skin in the SpaceX game while also adding to my TSLA holdings. When I stepped in with my newfound heavy hitter swagger to review my $50k purchase I was rudely informed by Schwab that the minimum investment is $999,999! :eek: Am I missing something? It appears I’m punching with nerf gloves and not those of a Tyson-level investor!

Swagger adjustment under way. :confused:

You might want to try Baron Partners Retail Fund (BPTRX). Lots of TSLA and some SpaceX. +70.4% YTD.

I’m a newly minted (mostly on paper!) multi-teslanaire, so I thought I should throw some of my new money at BPTRX to get some skin in the SpaceX game while also adding to my TSLA holdings. When I stepped in with my newfound heavy hitter swagger to review my $50k purchase I was rudely informed by Schwab that the minimum investment is $999,999! :eek: Am I missing something? It appears I’m punching with nerf gloves and not those of a Tyson-level investor!

I suspect you tried the wrong fund (maybe BPTIX?). The minimum should be fairly minimal. There's a reason they call it "Retail".

Pretty high expense ratio.

View attachment 584975

The expense ratio is 2.22% compared to 1.16% for the average mid-cap growth fund. If it’s returns are +1.06% better than the average mid-cap growth fund, then they’ve earned their pay. If they’re +70.4% YTD then as long as the average mid-cap is not +68.8% or better, then they’ve covered the higher expense ratio. So, how’s the average mid-cap doing these days?

The expense ratio is 2.22% compared to 1.16% for the average mid-cap growth fund. If it’s returns are +1.06% better than the average mid-cap growth fund, then they’ve earned their pay. If they’re +70.4% YTD then as long as the average mid-cap is not +68.8% or better, then they’ve covered the higher expense ratio. So, how’s the average mid-cap doing these days?

I agree that people put too much emphasis on the fee, when what is important is the return the fund provides. And aren't the performance figures reported for funds net of fees? So you should be able to compare the returns of different funds directly.

Zero hedge is tweeting a story about a tesla with self driving on that just ran over 3 people in a busy market in china

My calls are so f"#($ed.

Here's the article Zerohedge linked.

Online video raises doubts over Tesla’s functions, quality - Global Times

"The statement did not explicitly state whether the involved vehicle is a Tesla car. However, a video circulating on China's twitter-like Sino Weibo showed the car, a black Tesla, surrounded by broken glass and deformed tricycles.

Some media outlets also claimed that the car had "gone out of control."

The accident has provoked discussions among Chinese netizens. Some netizens suggested that the driver had made a mistake, but others doubt the effectiveness of Tesla's autobrake and intelligent driving functions"

Still trying to find this story about this Tesla with self driving on killing people in China.

Here's the article Zerohedge linked.

Online video raises doubts over Tesla’s functions, quality - Global Times

"The statement did not explicitly state whether the involved vehicle is a Tesla car. However, a video circulating on China's twitter-like Sino Weibo showed the car, a black Tesla, surrounded by broken glass and deformed tricycles.

Some media outlets also claimed that the car had "gone out of control."

The accident has provoked discussions among Chinese netizens. Some netizens suggested that the driver had made a mistake, but others doubt the effectiveness of Tesla's autobrake and intelligent driving functions"

Still trying to find this story about this Tesla with self driving on killing people in China.
Yeah I just read that in the comments honestly whole thing seems like bs

BPTIX is institutional class with 1M minimum investment. However, you can invest with less if it is a retirement account. In my case it is in a 401K. I invested 10k in this one before realizing it is the institutional class

BPTRX is retail class with 2500 minimum investment. I am investing in this one now, also in 401K. Returns on both are identical, so no difference for us investors. No need to adjust swagger

yes, expense ratio is higher than other funds- but returns have been great, so we’ll worth it

People really need to get a grip on what autopilot and autobrake etc. at the moment actually does. YOU control the car. and if you make a mistake and press the accelerator, THE CAR WILL NOT BRAKE and overrule you.

Took a look at wikipedias entry on at the money (ATM) offerings and found these excerpts to be interesting:
At-the-market offering - Wikipedia
ATMs can be positioned in advance of an upcoming liquidity event or major milestone to take advantage of increased liquidity and a rising stock price.[3]

they are not as useful for a company in dire need of financing or for a company without an actively traded ticker symbol or imminent news releases.

Nothing new, but reaffirms my interest on an offering I've never seen before and why Tesla chose it. It makes sense that it's related to an upcoming sp500 inclusion or battery day. A drop in the bucket at up to $5 billion if it's to ease liquidity for inclusion, but the reasoning for the offering to, "bolster the balance sheet," raises an eyebrow.

The last secondary offering was in Feb of this year for $2 billion with the same reasoning of bolstering the balance sheet.
Elon Musk Now Several Billion Dollars Richer After Tesla Sells More Stock

This new offering is more than double the previous "bolstering" offering. My theory is that it relates more to the unusual meeting with VW and the fundamental manufacturing change Elon spoke of:
"We're really changing the design of the car in order to make it more manufacturable. The fundamental architecture of Model Y will be different in Berlin. It may look the same, but the internals will be quite different and fundamentally more efficient architecturally than what we've done to date."
Maybe a deal with VW to jointly expand superchargers/megapacks and revamp existing lines to take advantage of the manufacturing breakthroughs to be implemented in berlin. If the gigafactories are temporarily shutdown soon this could be the case. Another capital hungry event could be some positive change in the energy side involving solar roof and powerwalls?

In any case I eagerly await to find out what the money will eventually be used for.