Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long story short, without a fully functioning paint shop in Texas, accelerating Model Y probably makes little sense.
One reason it makes little sense is there is a much better alternative, export of Model 3 for Asia Pacific and Europe from China.

Thank you for your very informative reply. When Texas was announced as the location for the next U.S. Gigafactory, Musk was quoted as saying "The location will be where Tesla will build Model 3 and Model Y vehicles bound for the East Coast. The 2000-acre facility will also be home of the Tesla Semi and the upcoming Cybertruck."

I haven't seen further details as to which of the products would be manufactured first at Texas GF. I think the Q2 Update report said combined M3 and MY production capacity in Fremont was being raised from 400 to 500,000 vehicles. Since Tesla believes MY should ramp over time to sell higher volume than M3, it suggests that while accelerating MY at Texas is off the table, it may be the first vehicle Texas GF will produce. If this is true then a fully functional paint shop would be in the first group of completed buildings at Texas GF. Hopefully it will be the same "state of the art" paint shop Tesla says is being built for the Berlin GF!

Have you seen any information that suggests Cybertruck will be mass produced at Texas GF before MY? My guess is substantial production of MY/M3 ahead of CT. Texas would be the fourth location for MY production (Fremont, Shanghai, Berlin then Texas), and setting up lines there should be routine by the fourth time. I believe Cybertruck is slated for Q3 or Q4 limited production. But the pace of build at Texas would suggest they want parts of it to be operational sooner.

TSLA buying TikTok is the only catalyst we need for 600+.

on a serious note...anyone else think there could be some dots to connect between

China —> Elon —> Larry Ellison —> Tik Tok

Keep in mind Elon is not only a heavy user of twitter but also close friends with @Jack

Elon seems to understand as well as anyone the power of social media as he demonstrates

Wonder if these could all be pieces of some
Puzzle that will come together in time

I think this will unlock an invitation to battery day :p

upload_2020-9-15_14-36-43.png

I can understand giving advice to others to not use derivatives like stock options. That doesn't mean they aren't useful tools, and can often be used to be more conservative in one's investing. For instance, a covered call is an especially conservative investment - it means you get paid to sell your stock at a price that's higher than it is today.

That said, it's easy to make the wrong moves with options, and the price can be severe. While the trading pages of all brokerages won't let you sell stock you don't own (short selling is a different page), brokerages will be happy to let you sell options you don't own. I think everyone who's traded options for more than a year has made a mistake like that once. If you catch it right away, you don't lose much money.

When you buy stock, you have the choice to simply wait for the market to recognize how great the company you partially own is. Whether that's the next day, month, year, or decade. However, options are time-limited and you must pay to have more time for your decision to pan out. Many TSLA shareholders up to last year know the pain the stock price's essentially horizontal movement over half a decade incurred. If you put $10K into TSLA stock in 2014 and held, you're doing fine. If you put $10K into TSLA calls in 2014, there's a chance you lost everything, most, some, barely broke even, or even made some money if you got luck with how Mr. Market happened to move.

You don't have to go back to 2014, either. Most of us remember 2019Q1 and what that did to TSLA's price. If the options you were holding expired in Q2 or Q3 of 2019, you probably got hurt. And since selling options can require the use of margin, you may be playing with money you don't expect to be spending.

That all said, I've done pretty well with the limited option trading that I've done. Mostly selling Puts when the price was lower than I felt it should be. The idea was that I'd get some money up front and if TSLA stayed the same or recovered, I kept that up front money. But, if TSLA dropped, then I'd be buying TSLA at an even better price than when I sold the Put, and thanks to the up-front money, even better than the strike price at which I agreed to buy. And the funny thing is I've made far more money on the stock I was "forced" to buy from Puts than I have from all the keeping of the Put premium.
Conversely, if you were deep in options starting last October through July, you would be retired now. I didn’t get quite that deep, but I YOLO’d a pretty decent amount into calls all the way through the first run-up which ended with the Corvid Crash in March, and used the gains from those to buy shares starting in April to add to my position in a big way. It was the wealth creation event that I’ve waited my whole life for. Now I’m happy to say that I can now ride my shares until the day I retire, I’m officially done with TSLA options now. Well...except for this single solitary shiny 2023 LEAP I picked up today as a memento of my YOLO days. I guess I’ll always be a little degenerate.

Last edited:
Reactions: wipster
I wanted to add one note about the million mile battery. The debate here seems to be about whether that’s a practical thing for a car to have.

I think the million mile battery is important, but for the upcoming semi truck and not necessarily the passenger cars. The Class 8 trucks do need a useful life of a million miles or more.

Actually .. any engineer here can answer this question: there has been issues with the 12V battery, so why not use the million mile battery to create a long lasting 12V battery - and have it recharge off the main battery?

Thank you for your very informative reply. When Texas was announced as the location for the next U.S. Gigafactory, Musk was quoted as saying "The location will be where Tesla will build Model 3 and Model Y vehicles bound for the East Coast. The 2000-acre facility will also be home of the Tesla Semi and the upcoming Cybertruck."

I haven't seen further details as to which of the products would be manufactured first at Texas GF. I think the Q2 Update report said combined M3 and MY production capacity in Fremont was being raised from 400 to 500,000 vehicles. Since Tesla believes MY should ramp over time to sell higher volume than M3, it suggests that while accelerating MY at Texas is off the table, it may be the first vehicle Texas GF will produce. If this is true then a fully functional paint shop would be in the first group of completed buildings at Texas GF. Hopefully it will be the same "state of the art" paint shop Tesla says is being built for the Berlin GF!

Have you seen any information that suggests Cybertruck will be mass produced at Texas GF before MY? My guess is substantial production of MY/M3 ahead of CT. Texas would be the fourth location for MY production (Fremont, Shanghai, Berlin then Texas), and setting up lines there should be routine by the fourth time. I believe Cybertruck is slated for Q3 or Q4 limited production. But the pace of build at Texas would suggest they want parts of it to be operational sooner.

My strong hunch is that the Semi will be the first product manufactured at Austin.

Cybertruck may be a higher priority than Model Y/3, but Model Y/3 require less design and engineering. For example Model Y can be largely copied from Berlin.

There are 2 separate buildings, I'm on board with the theory that the fatter one is Model 3/Y and the skinny one is Cybertruck...If Tesla has the resources, I can't see why both streams can't be done in parallel, subject to Cybertruck being higher priority. On that basis I think Model Y gets to the finish line first... but I'm not confident, the Cybertruck build may be easier than we imagine...