Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Conversely, if you were deep in options starting last October through July, you would be retired now. I didn’t get quite that deep, but I YOLO’d a pretty decent amount into calls all the way through the first run-up which ended with the Corvid Crash in March, and used the gains from those to buy shares starting in April to add to my position in a big way. It was the wealth creation event that I’ve waited my whole life for. Now I’m happy to say that I can now ride my shares until the day I retire, I’m officially done with TSLA options now. Well...except for this single solitary shiny 2023 LEAP I picked up today as a memento of my YOLO days. I guess I’ll always be a little degenerate.

I don't know how you knew in October that TSLA's run wouldn't be like TSLA's previous half-dozen or so runs and end disappointingly. Like all the talk here during the "Funding Secured" days when posters were saying that $420 was the new bottom, or the runup in 2018 as Model 3 production took off for real (finally), only to have 2019Q1 be a disappointment. Or the Solar CIty merger debacle.

Just look at the chart since 2014 and you'll see that any attempt at a run was squashed. Heck, even this last run had Elon tweeting the stock price was too high, and I recall some HODLers here selling out.

I'm super-glad you choose the right stock run in which to leverage, but the sad history here is that many others haven't been so lucky, and yes, I do think it was luck. That you're no longer doing options is proof enough that you're not secure in your ability to properly pick the next runup. Good call.

Robots to make sure all the cells are perfect. Munro there's your answer on why each cell's voltage variation is almost nonexistent.
That's inital variation. Munro measured cells from a vehicle with some number of miles and charge cycles on it. That relies on cell to cell variation and BMS performance.

Actually .. any engineer here can answer this question: there has been issues with the 12V battery, so why not use the million mile battery to create a long lasting 12V battery - and have it recharge off the main battery?
There are litium replacement batteries out there. However, Li-ion can have issues charging below zero C. You also need a different chemistry (like lithium iron phosphate) to match a lead acid voltage range. Then there is the issue of jump start/ another BMS to deal with.
The predicted approach of removing that battery entirely and revamping the 12V electrical system would align with the "best part is no part" philosophy. To this end, a super/ultracap as part of the DC-DC converter may be advantageous.

That’s a good idea. I have not done options trading before and quite frankly don’t know how. Only have been a buy and hold trader. Need to read up on it and maybe practice to see how I would do. Thanks.

There are a couple of threads here that focus on options trading - several of us follow along on those. I see that you got a few responses, which seems to have just led to a confusing disagreement between two members ;)

As someone who was in your situation a few years back, and having being ridiculously successful at these (more luck than skill frankly), my advice would be as follows:
  1. Start small and start easy - call options are probably the closest to buy and hold. Good way to dip your toes in the water
  2. Only trade options with money you don't mind losing. Options trading is equivalent to gambling most of the time. My rule is that any money that is tied into options, I consider it gone on the day I buy/invest it in the option.
  3. Give yourself some time - don't start with highly speculative and short expiration calls - you will likely lose that money. I did many times from 2014 to 2019 - but it was always money I was OK to lose. But when they do payout, like those from Dec 2019 onwards, the returns are unbeatable
  4. Dont use Margin while you are learning - you can get yourself in a lot of trouble quickly with margins
  5. Most brokerages will have basic seminars and educational literature on options. The best online training I have seen is the one that was recommended here by @adiggs - optionsalpha.com.

Feel free to ask questions on the other two threads -Applying options strategy 'the wheel' to TSLA and Options trading strategy/advice
These are more focused on options trading than the main investment thread.

If Elon surprise us with a Model 2 that starts at $25,000 at battery day that charges 30% faster (say taking full 250kwh that V3 or even higher V4 SC are capable for 50% of the charging time), I think the car business part would explode (in a nice way. :D)

At some point a smaller cheaper car will be released. When the time is right. But I don't understand what you mean by the "car business part" exploding in a nice way. Tesla already sells every car they can make and they are higher margin cars than if they were selling $25,000 Model 2's.

In other words, the car part of the business is already exploding in a nice way.

• Informative
Reactions: ThisStockGood
I disagree. We need people to go to prison. The public suffered because of the emission cheating and executives should do time for that.
Well, you’re right. It does seem like a slap on the back of the hand, all things considered. In an ideal world, prison time for all involved and fines/penalties for the company to go bankrupt would be awesome. But, that’s not what happened. I take the outcome as just that. The penalty/settlements were doled out per the case. The hopes is that the company will make some turnarounds, perhaps similar to what VW appears to be attempting (only time will tell the outcome there). (*Even in VW case, enough of the higher-up heads did not roll.) If Daimler does not ‘turnaround’, then surely they will end up suffering further regardless. The penalty, in truth, will never be ‘enough’, even if the company disintegrates. The hopes is the remaining company, going forward, uses its resources and capacity to ‘do the right thing’ (if not more). I’m choosing to be optimistic... but can/will adjust if proven wrong. For now, it is what it is.

Last edited:
There are litium replacement batteries out there. However, Li-ion can have issues charging below zero C. You also need a different chemistry (like lithium iron phosphate) to match a lead acid voltage range. Then there is the issue of jump start/ another BMS to deal with.
The predicted approach of removing that battery entirely and revamping the 12V electrical system would align with the "best part is no part" philosophy. To this end, a super/ultracap as part of the DC-DC converter may be advantageous.
Wasn't there a rumor a few months ago about Tesla demostrating a battery that works in -40 degrees?

• Helpful
Reactions: capster
I wanted to add one note about the million mile battery. The debate here seems to be about whether that’s a practical thing for a car to have.

I think the million mile battery is important, but for the upcoming semi truck and not necessarily the passenger cars. The Class 8 trucks do need a useful life of a million miles or more.
Also the Cybertruck - the million mile battery unladen might only be 333,000 miles towing, and that's a decent acceptable lifespan.

Actually .. any engineer here can answer this question: there has been issues with the 12V battery, so why not use the million mile battery to create a long lasting 12V battery - and have it recharge off the main battery?
For the situation of cold weather and being unable to plug in (and therefore unable to reasonably run battery heating constantly) - lead acid has historically worked better for that than Li-ion. There are some cars (Tesla Roadster 1.x, Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid in warmer markets) that have carved out part of the HV pack as a dedicated accessory battery, but it's rather telling that Tesla went for a separate lead acid 12 volt accessory battery in the Roadster 2.0/2.5, Model S, X, 3, and Y.

If Tesla's done something that can work at extreme temperatures, though, including charging (you don't want to be unable to charge your accessory battery, and Li-ion cells traditionally are dangerous to charge below freezing), then a Li-ion accessory pack becomes reasonable outside of race cars and warm climates.

I disagree. We need people to go to prison. The public suffered because of the emission cheating and executives should do time for that.
There's two things here.

First, jurisdictional issues - Germany will not extradite their citizens to the US. The US got one of VW's engineers while he was vacationing in the US, but pretty much everyone else involved with Dieselgate knows they can't set foot in the US or a country that will extradite to the US, and that's it.

Second, whether it'll actually do any good - throwing the executives in prison won't undo the damage, so then it's just a matter of whether it'll prevent recidivism (that wouldn't have otherwise been prevented) or act as a deterrent to other executives.

(My own preference as a first step is to seize assets, and use those assets to pay restitution. That actually does help to undo the damage.)

Last edited:
How? What goalposts, specifically, does that move?

You were comparing EVs to ICE cars on the topic of million mile batteries.

The existing battery already lasts 5 times longer than most people need in a new car. (and far longer than that of other EVs for that matter).

Nobody needs an EV either. Your point? This idea of need is based on your own subjective idea of what people need. Nobody really needs a Tesla, right? Why do people pay a premium for them?

The fact a new one would last 10 times longer instead of 5 is incredibly yawnworthy to that new car buyer.

Unless it's not. You're applying your own peculiar values to everyone. ;)

See again nobody rushing out to buy CATLs million mile battery despite it already having been available for a while now.

Marketing matters, even if it's just a list of features on a site from a manufacturer that doesn't advertise in the usual fashion. One thing EVs can always benefit from is reliability, longevity, range, and fast-charging. This is true even if the full potential isn't realized, just like most people don't keep any car for as long as they could (but some do).

As I say "battery now lasts 10 times longer than you will likely own the car" isn't worse than "will last 5 times longer than you will likely own the car"

But it's also not really a value add either.

To whom? Nearly all vehicles last longer than their owners drive them, and their second or third owners might drive them, but it's still important in marketing for the first buyer. It's important for competition, just as it's important to know that the Model 3 is the safest car ever tested by the NHTSA. It doesn't mean we *need* that, but it's an objectively good thing, good for investors, good when comparing against competition, good for stockholders, etc. Will everyone need that? No, but some will.

Which is why other than as a marketing slogan to get headlines, it's vastly, vastly, vastly, less significant a thing to announce than the 2 actually important battery related improvements that Elon himself has cited as the 2 things they actually need to improve

Cost and volume.

Yes, but that doesn't undermine its effective use for all of the reasons discussed; marketing (website), general knowledge by owners, inspiring confidence in new BEV buyers, etc. There's always a bigger fish to fry, but that doesn't undermine the value of the smaller fish, and much of this value is being assigned by you with your peculiar value system. I understand that you don't think it matters, but I think it matters for all of the reasons stated. Mainly, I'm wondering if battery longevity helps EVs retain their range over the course of 10 years plus. Does it? I don't know. If so, that's huge.

Again- nobody cares about a "million mile battery" that already exists

Because it costs a little more- and CATL can't make them especially faster than the normal ones.

So it doesn't address either actual battery problem that anyone cares about

The fact that the tech exists is itself of value. Why would a battery that has such a long life not help with retaining range over the usable life of a car? The only thing I would agree on here is that a million mile battery doesn't matter IF range reduction happens the same as it would otherwise.

"The data show that drivers, on average, made two driving trips per day, with an average total duration of 46 minutes (median 22 minutes) and total distance of 29.2 miles (median 10.0 miles)."

That's why I said either 30 or 10 miles depending if you use mean or median.

The median is only 10 miles because the majority of all trips is less than 10 miles... so the very few much longer trips increase the mean a lot, but the median only a little.

So MOST drivers- 10 miles or less. But the "average" of everyones driving ends up around 30 miles.

Do these people work? This doesn't sound remotely accurate though I understand some jobs allow people to stay close to home. Many people have a commute, otherwise why is the 405 here in SoCal the most congested freeway in the nation? Even if if we grant your figure, it makes zero sense considering the ranges that EV companies are after. Why do we need more range than 322 miles in a Model 3 LR AWD? Do you know something Tesla doesn't? Why do smaller EVs with poor ranges do so poorly in sales, such as the FIAT 500e or the smart electric drive? Why does range-anxiety exist? What about long trips, or making the car work harder (poor weather, towing, more mass in vehicle, faster driving)? How one drives makes a difference.

Again, I'm talking about pre-pandemic times. California alone has a huge density of EV early-adopters and commuters and the most congested freeway in the nation (the 405). Your figure doesn't ring true at all for the demographic of EV buyers, especially Tesla buyers.

One of the primary concerns of any EV owner is range. 322 miles seems like a lot until you take a long trip, or drive fast in a SoCal HOV lane for a long time, or want to drive longer without stopping, or use the heat or A/C a lot whilst driving up hills in a winter or hot summer. Basically, you can't have too much range, especially during a transition between ICE and EVs, especially when most people don't have L2 chargers, some people can't easily acquire them or aren't homeowners, where Supercharing too often isn't recommended, and where there's still some amount of time needed to charge (over gas fillups).

And, if Tesla has access to these statistics, why is Tesla continually raising the range on their vehicles, along with other EV manufacturers? Remember, it's not just about range and the mileage of your drive every day, it's about conditions, grades, weather, driving style, traffic conditions, etc.

But it means, statistically, your commute is MUCH longer than average for people in the US.

You're falling in to a false-weighting statistical fallacy here. Here's an example. Do you understand how unmarried people pay more for auto insurance in the U.S., except for Massachusetts which has properly outlawed marital-status discrimination? Now, why would unmarried pay higher rates, ignoring the absurdity of this criteria for a moment?

It's because among the group of unmarried people, there is a much higher population of the youngest, least experienced, highest-risk drivers (young people) and unmarried persons who might be widowed due to advanced age (some of whom also should not be driving). Some outliers like me simply don't believe in marriage, but our numbers are few (though growing). This statistic selects for or cherry picks an average age of drivers in their prime, and uses marital-status as if it directly relates to driving which it doesn't. It's unfairly weighted. And, with the divorce rates and family court nonsense as they are—unmarried people should pay less...but I digress.

Being a statistical outlier happens of course- I've been on BOTH ends of that myself... a previous residence my drive to work was about 3 miles. Now it's well over 30. Both 1 way.

I understand what you mean about anecdotes, but your stats are wrong because they're weighting *everyone* vs. the specific demo of potential EV owners or Tesla buyers/owners. The person who works at McDonald's has a short commute because obviously they'd choose any minimum job close by, but these people aren't driving Teslas (in most cases), though I believe the local Macca's manager does drive a Model 3. Some older people may work fast food for something to do even if they don't need the money, but I'm talking about the rule here and not the exception.

Basically, the best jobs are few and concentrated in metropolitan areas, in part to attract talent from higher population densities which have a higher incidence of talent. You're going to find more programmers in Los Angeles than Des Moines. Tesla itself is based in Silicon Valley with its main factory in Fremont. L.A. is a metro area, where the best jobs in many fields are concentrated in L.A. (not the suburbs). But, people live in those suburbs, and many of them commute to areas where their jobs are. Some people have the types of well-paid careers where they can work close to home, but many do not.

Among Tesla owners, you'd probably find a much higher incidence of commute (or average higher commute) than simply averaging some cross section of people generally who couldn't afford a Tesla. So, your 30 miles per day figure has no connection to EVs or Tesla purchases in particular, and thus no connection to desired range among premium EV buyers.

Further, this assumes the person who moves close to a job keeps it as long as they want. People change jobs, but they don't always change homes (and sometimes they can't if they're locked in to a lease or are homeowners with families). So, they commute. My entire career is full of people with crazy commutes, and some commute 2 hours one way. Some moved close to work, but once someone buys a home they're set up to have a commute if they change jobs. Working from home takes some of the pressure off and the pandemic forced this situation early, but you have to weight commutes among the EV/Tesla demographic (people who can afford luxury EVs)—not just a random sampling of people.

But you probably shouldn't try and make national (or worldwide) judgements based on personal anecdotes that run counter to aggregated facts and data.

Your figures aren't fact. They're falsely weighted using an average that isn't exclusive to EV or Tesla owners. Obviously, you can weight any statistic this way to support an incorrect position. See my example of 'married vs. unmarried drivers'.

Again- regardless of your personal circumstances, that's the vast minority of daily drives.

So again the only cherry picking appears to be yours, trying to imply your personal situation is typical when the facts nationally show otherwise.

We should conduct a poll here, asking people how long their commutes are since we have a great self-selected groups of Tesla enthusiasts. Some may work from home (pandemic or not). I work from home by design (pandemic not a factor). WFH is more of a reality these days, but in tech or other high paying jobs you're going to have a commute if you don't want to live in the city or pay exorbitant rents, especially if you already own a home. Some people can make a great living close to home, sure, but a lot of us have to commute. I think it makes more sense not to weight ALL people but those earning enough to actually buy a Tesla. Even better, poll commute data from existing owners.

Nobody cared- and no customers for it have been announced because JUST being able to say MILLION MILES has no practical value outside marketing. It's not cheaper, and it can't be made in massively larger #s than the normal kind- so it's mostly a nothingburger.

You contradicted yourself. Marketing has value because drawing people out of ICE and in to EVs is important now more than it will ever be in the future. Marketing answers buyer objections, so it's important even if it's a list of features on a website (Tesla style).

Nobody (for most values of nobody) drives a car for 1,000,000 miles.

If they last that long they might, or 4 different owners might. With EVs there's less to break down and one doesn't need to actually go the full million miles for this extra life to be a benefit for consumer confidence, which is vital in this transitionary phase from ICE.

The average new car owner doesn't even drive it for 100,000 miles. So why would they care if the battery dies on the 3rd owner or the 6th owner?

You're talking about ICE cars again, which have far more that can go wrong over the life of the car, and require much more diligent maintenance. With an EV, battery life is one of the longevity bottlenecks, along with range loss.

What's going to be important for Tesla, the company, is announcing batteries that:

1) Cost less

2) Can be produced far faster and/or in far larger numbers

And have more range, charge faster, and long life is just a bonus. Again, buyer confidence is key, both for cars and the stock. We're planning for the future here. EVs need to inspire as much buyer confidence as possible while there are still objections. That time will never be greater than the present, because with every passing year Tesla (and its future competition) will prove the viability of EVs.

I think Tesla's valuation and stock are ample evidence of this, to-date. :)

Last edited:
Tesla investors should be watching for M&A for S&P inclusion

"
The index committee aims to pick the companies that best represent their industries, while keeping the weighting of the sector in check against the others, which include information technology, health care, and financials, so the index's performance matches that of the overall market, one source said.

Mergers among companies in the index give committee members - the names of whom S&P does not make public - additional opportunities to readjust weightings based on the ever-changing dynamic of the market."

----

"
At any moment there are 25 to 50 companies that technically qualify to be in the index, but are not in, and a handful of those are companies the committee agrees are acceptable candidates when discussed in its monthly meetings, one source said.

With a big name like Tesla, it is tempting to look for a big exit from the index, the person said, adding that the committee tracks announced mergers, which are opportunities to make unscheduled additions.
"

Proposed or pending S&P500 M&A, sorted by largest.

53f1c38761d4052dcc8a679352c974fe.png