Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did someone already mention that Tesla benefits on every single car sold in the EU due to the current bad $ devaluation in relation to the €?
Almost 8% of extra gains since last year.
Screenshot_20200916_092943.jpg

Last edited:
SW just doesn't work this way.
Tesla's trick is not the software, it is vertical integration. Not just the car but the whole corporate.
There is nothing Tesla can help VW with, they are incompatible.

Indeed, I there was do be a deal then I would expect it to be a skateboard package with the pack, HW3, MCU, etc., plus the API's for the ancillary systems.

Reactions: UkNorthampton
Did someone already mention that Tesla benefits on every single car sold in the EU due to the current bad $ devaluation in relation to the €?
Almost 8% of extra gains since last year.
View attachment 588737

Yeah, great for Tesla, but crap for the € value of our portfolios :(

How does it work with my bank/broker - US equities must be purchased in $$$, so if I transfer €€€ to my account ad buy, a current exchange takes place (which they charge me for, of course!), from then on, that money remains, in $$$, so even if I sell shares, trade some options, etc., there's no impact.

But, if I want to use some of mu winnings, then I have to convert back to €€€, and right now that carries a 10% penalty as the $ is so low - in fact it's down almost 13% compared to a couple of years back.

Of course it swings both ways, my initial bulk purchase of 413 $TSLA in February 2016 was with the rate around 0.91, which wasn't too bad.
upload_2020-9-16_13-4-36.png

4) I don't know why, but so many people seem vaguely against Tesla. I don't know if it's unfamiliarity, FUD, ignorance.

My experience has been the vast majority of people you don't hear from unless you ask them have a positive impression of Tesla cars, whether they have driven them or not. The notable exception to this are those who don't like anything environmentally correct or politically correct. On the other hand, the people you hear on TV and popular Internet sites almost always push a more negative image of Tesla than the facts deserve, even as they try to act unbiased. Surprisingly, many of them pretend to be pro-EV and pro-environment but that doesn't stop them from sugaring on Tesla in subtle and not so subtle ways.

My conclusion is that we tend to hear most loudly from those with an agenda to push. The number of industries, business and livelihoods that Tesla threatens is mind-boggling. Now it includes the insurance industry as well, not only by entering the insurance business themselves but also by threatening to drastically reduce the cost to insure a car. It's insane how much of our economy is built on cars and fossil fuels.

Last edited:
Fred also mentions that Tesla will introduce "more than one cell". I wonder if this is just vehicle v stationary storage, or if there will be more to it than that.
This is huge. Along with a higher energy density, this probably means fewer than 1/5 the number of cells are required for a given energy content. This obviously lowers manufacturing costs, but also can greatly increase production line speed, which is a very key factor in growing to 1-2 terawatt hours per year

How does it work with my bank/broker - US equities must be purchased in $$$, so if I transfer €€€ to my account ad buy, a current exchange takes place (which they charge me for, of course!), from then on, that money remains, in $$$, so even if I sell shares, trade some options, etc., there's no impact.

But, if I want to use some of mu winnings, then I have to convert back to €€€, and right now that carries a 10% penalty as the $ is so low - in fact it's down almost 13% compared to a couple of years back.

Of course it swings both ways, my initial bulk purchase of 413 $TSLA in February 2016 was with the rate around 0.91, which wasn't too bad.
View attachment 588747
Don't mind. As profits are higher on this means the SP also goes/is up. So actually you have no disadvantages in relation to your € in total.

[/ATTACH]

As someone also based in the Eurozone, the way I look at it, is that all my US stocks have shot up over the past 6 months while the USD has lost value to the EUR.

Over the same period, the FTSE or IBEX have suffered much worse than the Nasdaq. Europe is full of big old companies working on the wrong business model for 2020, and the politicians are old generals fighting wars from memory rather than living in the present.

QE has meant that the value of the US Dollar has gone down but many more US Dollars have been created, a high proportion of which have found their way into the value of Tesla, Apple, Square, Amazon etc! So owning US stocks (and tech stocks in particular) has been the perfect hedge over USD value!

One cannot have thy cake and eat it! As someone once said :)

View attachment 588747

My spreadsheet of buys and current values has $ £ and € - ends up being a lot of columns.

I tend to think in £ as that's what I consider my 'retirement' / 'freedom target' funds to be - so my profit is based on money paid out in £ (including currency conversions, dealing commissions etc) and current £ value.

$ is day to day changes. € is probably where I want to spend my money!

Of course, every exchange loses a little bit of commission. It's just a cost that I have to bear at the moment. If I ever get enough to quit work, then I'll be getting spending money in the most efficient way. Monthly loading of currency cards probably best.

£ cost averaging maybe better eg. £2000 / month spending going onto a € card - some months I'd get more, some less.

Fred also mentions that Tesla will introduce "more than one cell". I wonder if this is just vehicle v stationary storage, or if there will be more to it than that.
We already know of at least two:
  1. Project "Roadrunnner" cells from Kato Rd, Fremont
  2. Panasonic "Enhanced" 2170's from GF1/Sparks, NV
There's also the possibility that a 3rd party/partner's production could be discussed for storage products. We have the unconfirmed story from Carsonight/Twitter that all GF1 lines have now been converted to Automotive, and that T.E. products are being built with imported cells. It seems obvious that at some point T.E. would benefit vastly by switching from NMC to LFP chemistry. It helps with initial costs, bty lifetime, and strategic minerals supply/logistics.

Cheers!

SW just doesn't work this way.
Tesla's trick is not the software, it is vertical integration. Not just the car but the whole corporate.
There is nothing Tesla can help VW with, they are incompatible.

You can see the same problem when comparing Boeing and SpaceX in the Commercial Crew program.

Boeing is having software problems in part because it needs to herd it's umpty-million suppliers, while SpaceX controls it's entire process and handily beat Boeing to the ISS.

Vertical integration helps massively with the software side, it's probably the biggest reason Elon keeps his companies so vertically integrated.

Both the aerospace and automotive sectors are full of old suits who have no clue how important software is on modern manufactures. Many think it's just one more thing that can easily be farmed out to the highest bidder. Both Boeing and VW are reaping what they have sown for this line of thinking, and changing it will require an up/down change in management process/culture.... Easier said than done.

Hello, new to this site and thread but I do post on another site that is more about trading than about Tesla. I'm a recent Tesla investor/day trader and, like all of you, look forward to the coming days.
A recent event however did succeed in getting me pee'd off with Musk... The timing of the recent snub from the S&P committee and Tesla's sudden 5B stock sale were too coincidental for me to believe they were not tied. My assessment then was that Musk had made a deal with the Committee whereas he would use the money to cool off the market for a week, to allow fund managers to buy the required shares at sub 400. Low and behold, last week Tesla shares stayed below 400 and are surging this week.
Coincidence? I doubt it. It would have been no worse if Musk had simply handed the fund managers a commission as compensation for overheating the market and buying at well over 400.
Nevertheless, what is done is done. The consequence, if this turns out to be true, is that I expect the S&P Committee to announce Tesla's inclusion sometime in October.

Is Fred trying to ruin Battery Day or something? There are times when need people to dig and times when it's best left to the announcement!

I assume these are already going into a product as of this week, hence the leak.

Doesn't matter anyway.....I just woke up to hear GM is going to take over the EV market.

tenor-3.gif

Hello, new to this site and thread but I do post on another site that is more about trading than about Tesla. I'm a recent Tesla investor/day trader and, like all of you, look forward to the coming days.
A recent event however did succeed in getting me pee'd off with Musk... The timing of the recent snub from the S&P committee and Tesla's sudden 5B stock sale were too coincidental for me to believe they were not tied. My assessment then was that Musk had made a deal with the Committee whereas he would use the money to cool off the market for a week, to allow fund managers to buy the required shares at sub 400. Low and behold, last week Tesla shares stayed below 400 and are surging this week.
Coincidence? I doubt it. It would have been no worse if Musk had simply handed the fund managers a commission as compensation for overheating the market and buying at well over 400.
Nevertheless, what is done is done. The consequence, if this turns out to be true, is that I expect the S&P Committee to announce Tesla's inclusion sometime in October.
You have no clue about musk