Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it just the macros forcing the down-trend over the past hour?

Regardless, I smell a buy-in opportunity.

Me with TSLA shares right now.

giphy.gif

Um, why? Sources, info? Just curious.

The owner of the site has been known to compare their IP address log timestamps to the times and rough locations of vocal Tesla proponents in order to find and publish their real names and addresses.

And then they hide behind a 501c3 charity meant to give computers to disabled children while spewing some vile TSLAQ nonsense.

Pretty comprehensive breakdown here: Think Foundation & PlainSite: A Fake Charity Committing Securities Fraud | Victims of Aaron Greenspan Foundation

If Models S&X are going from 18650 to 5498s, then how much redesign of the body is needed to accommodate the additional height of the pack? If I'm looking at this old tear-down properly, then the cells are oriented vertically. That means the pack could easily be almost an inch thicker/taller. Headroom is already right in Model S, does this drive the new body style as well?

View attachment 589519

Reading this article

Tesla secret project Palladium: new Model S and Model X are coming

Another source told Electrek that it involves more than the powertrain, and one employee even referred to a new “Model S and Model X Palladium Body” — meaning that the new version of the vehicles will have a different body

Combined with Elon's comments about the Y in Germany having a new chassis, I imagine that the new Model S/X are serving as a proving ground for a new Cell to Chassis system. They could be casting the body/battery pack as a single unit and directly embedding the cells in it. Also note the 5498 size is not confirmed, Tesmanian originally reported a 40mm diameter.

Reading this article

Tesla secret project Palladium: new Model S and Model X are coming

Combined with Elon's comments about the Y in Germany having a new chassis, I imagine that the new Model S/X are serving as a proving ground for a new Cell to Chassis system. They could be casting the body/battery pack as a single unit and directly embedding the cells in it. Also note the 5498 size is not confirmed, Tesmanian originally reported a 40mm diameter.

Rob Mauer is guessing a ~45x~75 size

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.nvd.131279/gov.uscourts.nvd.131279.217.0_2.pdf

For those who want to read the actual court decision from the Tripp suit.

Some points, I learned from this:

- First of all the case is not closed. The judge has granted a number of summary judgements, most in favor of Tesla, 1 in favor of Tripp ($167 million damages claimed by Tesla due to harm of stock price is denied), which means the scope of the case has been reduced but there are still issues to resolve either via trial or settlement.

- While it is clear that Tripp has violated the law and acted in bad faith and malice towards Tesla (as the judge has ruled) by selling confidential information to the press (there is proof that Linette at least promised to pay for the information !), on the other hand Tesla has not been all 100% factual in their portraying of the case either:

1. Tripp threatening to go on a shooting rampage claim of Tesla has proven to be baseless
2. Claiming that Tripp caused $167 million damages because it caused the share price to drop 78 cents on a trading day is a stretch that the judge did not buy either. We all know the share price fluctuates dozens of dollar any day on no news whatsoever, so pinning 78 cent drop on a FUD article does not pass the sniff test.
3. The most interesting for me was the details behind Tesla's claim that Tripp has "sabotaged" their systems to obtain information. It turns out from the court filing, that what Tesla claimed about "sabotaging the OS of their computers to extract and send out information" was in fact no more than writing a few SQL statements to extract data from a database. Now, excuse me while I roll around the floor laughing for a few minutes ... Sorry Tesla, but writing SQL statements to query a DB is very different from sabotaging an OS! That is a PR-stretch (on par with some crazy media FUD) I was not expecting from Tesla. Yet, this point was actually granted by the judge to Tesla, so they certainly hired better lawyers than Tripp.

So in conclusion, the truth is (as usual) somewhere in-between what either party was claiming. Sure, Tripp was the bad apple here, but Tesla was not playing squeaky clean either.

Last edited:
Who says they'll be packed vertically?
Teslas patents... although that's still no definitiv proof ;-)

But on the actual question:

In the current S/X there still some unused/spare height of about 5mm.
Additionally, the old modules have electrical connections on both sides, while the newer designs have all interconnections placed on top.
Together with some modifications of the enclosure, they could possibly keep it within the original external dimensions of the pack.

But we'll all be a lot wiser next week....