Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know we're all pretty bullish on here, as we obviously want to profit,
But I'm interested to know if anyone thinks there is a real chance that we could see any significant drop in the SP this year and I'm talking like sub-300 or worse?
Do you think it's even possible now with Tesla on it's current trajectory and proving making profits etc, or could it still be a possibility (assuming no actual disasters as such). I'm very new to investing so am humbly calling upon you collective vast experience!
Thanks in advance
Possibly. But for me it doesn't really matter. I have limit buy orders in for under 300. I renew them when they expire. If they hit, great, if they don't, great.

My 5 cents:
I've been an investor in Tesla for years and it worked out quite nicely. Always spoke to friends and family about the company but never recommended them to buy stock, just because I didn't want them to get pissed if the stock goes down in the short term.

After Battery Day, I am planning to prepare a presentation for my brother, father and mother and try to explain to them why they should invest...

I wouldn't give anyone investment advice who would be pissed at me if the investment goes down. Especially family.

I could not agree more with both of your statements. In my very specific case, since our last and Final Family Meeting, nine years ago, amongst those members who elected to have me not handle their investments I have 100% not discussed any investment ideas - none (on edit: 4 Yay / 12 Nay). Taken as a whole, those “Outsiders’” knowledge runs from some awareness that we own ‘some’ Tesla autos to being aware that we have a 'fair' amount of stock, although I’m not privy to how much Knowledge “Insider” Relative A shares with "Outsider" Relative B.

I made for the first time an exception to the Keep Mum policy on Tuesday, with the following brief statement that the entire Family received - final part is as below:

Battery Day conclusion:
The technology, production, and cost reduction advances are absolutely staggering. Ramifications for the future is that Tesla - JUST as only a car company - is set to be the dominant player of our age. Their role in the energy storage/power sector is likely to be larger than their auto portion.

At the presentation, however, they made it clear we are 1 year to 3 years out, depending on the specific situation.

Result: I am expecting Wall St to show its inexorable bias toward the short term, and we will see a very sharp price correction. Probably well under $400 tomorrow.

IF THIS IS THE CASE, and if you or anyone you know has been thinking of getting into or expanding a TSLA position, then consider very, very strongly using this to get in.

There probably never will be a more compelling investment story - not in our lifetimes.

I know this is the investing thread, but I do see lots of comments here criticizing Elon Musk for not thinking through how his comments will effect the share price.

I dont think Elon cares, he has his eye on the ball, which is making sure Tesla innovates quickly with regards to batteries and sustainable energy. If Tesla does that then you will never have to worry about the share price, long term it will always go up.

Elon was briefly obsessed about the share price during the Model 3 ramp because he knew he might have to raise a lot of capital and it had not increased very much for 3-4 years. Now that Tesla has a large bank balance, the short term share price is irrelevant. Battery day is more about inspiring potential employees and suppliers and communicating with shareholders what is going on. There is no way to sell or spin this any way for short term share increases

This has been said other times, but Elon doesn't really want too high a price: as far as I know and understand, stock options for Tesla workers are tied to the lower price in a time period.
A low SP can mean Tesla can offer more stocks to employees (I think), which is a big incentive.
I'd be happy to be corrected if wrong.

My 5 cents:
I've been an investor in Tesla for years and it worked out quite nicely. Always spoke to friends and family about the company but never recommended them to buy stock, just because I didn't want them to get pissed if the stock goes down in the short term.

After Battery Day, I am planning to prepare a presentation for my brother, father and mother and try to explain to them why they should invest. I don't care anymore about them getting pissed at me if the stock goes down in the short term. I am 100% convinced that Tesla will produce 3M cars in 2025 and be the largest carmaker in the world by 2030. Add autonomy, stationary storage, HVAC systems and other unannounced things and it's game over. I have always been optimistic about the future of Tesla, Battery Day removed any doubts that I had.
@PaulRocket, I've found it best to promote all things Tesla. Only if my friends or family specifically ask about investing in TSLA (only two have) will I offer my opinion. I'm proactive for Tesla and reactive for TSLA. I know I can weather any TSLA storm, however I can't say the same for anyone else other than Elon, and few have +5 to +10 year investment horizons.

Actual ability that has been demonstrated in the field trumps academia and qualifications. He is a self-proclaimed engineer with the correct mindset and ability. With what he's helping to achieve, it doesn't really matter if he has a meaningless bit of paper that says "engineer" on it.

On the flip side, the world is also full of certified dunces.

My 5 cents:

After Battery Day, I am planning to prepare a presentation for my brother, father and mother and try to explain to them why they should invest. I don't care anymore about them getting pissed at me if the stock goes down in the short term. I am 100% convinced that Tesla will produce 3M cars in 2025 and be the largest carmaker in the world by 2030. Add autonomy, stationary storage, HVAC systems and other unannounced things and it's game over. I have always been optimistic about the future of Tesla, Battery Day removed any doubts that I had.
What if you give each of them a few tsla shares as a gift instead? Some may take to it and have fun with it, and others may just sell it and spend it.

What is it about price drops that bring the trolls out? :)

It is interesting to see more bearish members countering the trolls, but it did make me realize that an option to extend ignore to quotes/replies would be helpful in terms of clutter.

While the stock price hasn't fallen far enough to convince me to sell the few percent non-$TSLA to go all in I did find some dry powder to add to the portfolio. (Gotta make a good case for it to the wife, especially as every penny that has gone into the investment account has stayed there -- but it helps to point out the sizeable gains we have already made. Buy the dip!)

Bloomberg cite analysts recommending people to sell Nikola because of Tesla's eye-popping battery innovations.

Then turn around and explain that Tesla slumps because Battery Day was a let down.

Which one is it Bloomie?

Bloomin.png

Ps This is one screen shot - not edited or put together by me.

One thing that I think needs more attention is the fact that yesterday we saw a road map with some real challenges yet to be solved. Odds that they hit exactly a 56% reduction in cost are somewhat small, and that is OK.
My thought is that they've underplayed this and 56% is a minimum. Underpromise, over-perform.

Nice attack on the 50 day MA in pre-market. I think shorties are trying to break that now because they know it's going to need a lot of help from MM to get it done in regular hours.

If we break 50 day MA we might see the lows from 2 weeks agao(yes 330). On the other hand like @Curt Renz pointed out it is very bullish if it bounces off that level.

So, according to some EVTV documentation, a Model S battery module is 3.5 inches (89mm) tall after it is removed from the case, but I can't find any info on the inside height of the case. But that means it is at least possible to fit an 80mm battery inside the existing space, although that doesn't leave much room for the connections and other stuff.
But the point is there will be no case, just vehicle structure, so you have to add the dimensions of the now non-existent case.