Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Popped onto Bloomberg and CNBC hoping for some business news....all I'm getting is political rants about taxes.

These guys clearly sell their airtime to hedge funds for a lot of their revenue. It's just dawning in me that lobbyists probably buy just as much time and trot their Congress puppets out there to spout their agenda.

Why anyone would turn on a TV as their primary source of information is beyond me.

Even though it likely helps me as an investor for the S&P500 to include Tesla, I don't really care from a financial POV. I care because:

1) The stock will be more stable, may get better credit, is harder to attack
2) It creates buzz and positive news about EVs, which should drive EV adoption further
3) It means some truly horrible, selfish, stupid, environmentally-destructive people lose an absolute ton of money.

So today is a good day.

Yeah. Nope. I’m totally here for the money.

On August 12 Tesla announced a stock split - an event that would actually happen a month from then, and was only expected to have a minor effect on the SP since it didn't fundamentally change the company. Sound familiar? TSLA shocked everyone by going straight up from that day until the stock split. Momentum traders kept piling on every day, and shorts kept getting squeezed.

Edit: There is one difference here. A minor detail - funds must buy $50B of TSLA while this is all happening.

Funnier words were never said: This event (stock split) makes no appreciable difference to the SP.

I will go to my grave laughing about that one.

I am thinking more of swapping shares with deep ITM calls a year out. Will be happy to swap 200 shares with 3 calls. = 50% leverage, hardly any time cost.
Deleverage on the way up, leverage on the way down, is what I was taught. Seems to be working well enough.

Well, I did learn a costly lesson with respect to buy and hold (I’m the fool here for selling my shares on 18 March), but currently I’m uncomfortably leveraged, and I don’t want to risk being margin called in case of some unforeseen event.

The other saying is that the market can be irrational longer than I can stay solvent after all and I don’t want to be bitten by another gem of wisdom. So, I will deleverage in the weeks to come. I know I’m giving up future profits, but I’ve no desire to find out what the maximum number of gastric ulcers one can develop worrying over a stock price.

A word of caution

Despite I am as excited as everybody here about the overdue inclusion and the pre-market action I recommend resisting the feeling of greed. If you believe in the long-term success of Tesla regardless if we see a squeeze or not you win in any case if you hold your stocks and avoid the temptation to time the market.

Markets are irrational and over the years I learned tsla is extra irrational.

Over time until Dec 21st maybe after too we will see great buying power but to believe you can sell high and buy low is not a good strategy.

Lean back, grab the popcorn and enjoy the show

My shares are not for sale

Yet I'm not the only one linking the 2...
Hello, new to this site and thread but I do post on another site that is more about trading than about Tesla. I'm a recent Tesla investor/day trader and, like all of you, look forward to the coming days.
A recent event however did succeed in getting me pee'd off with Musk... The timing of the recent snub from the S&P committee and Tesla's sudden 5B stock sale were too coincidental for me to believe they were not tied. My assessment then was that Musk had made a deal with the Committee whereas he would use the money to cool off the market for a week, to allow fund managers to buy the required shares at sub 400. Low and behold, last week Tesla shares stayed below 400 and are surging this week.
Coincidence? I doubt it. It would have been no worse if Musk had simply handed the fund managers a commission as compensation for overheating the market and buying at well over 400.
Nevertheless, what is done is done. The consequence, if this turns out to be true, is that I expect the S&P Committee to announce Tesla's inclusion sometime in October.
Well, disagreed with by 42 members and found funny by 6....
This may not be the reason for that, but I was on the money. ;)