Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking a certain house buying Belgian might be slightly upset with his wifes timing when they wake up.

No, it's OK, I only need €200k this year for the initial purchase and I've funded that with selling Oct & Nov calls, that I had to sell anyway, plus 300 trading shares. Core shares untouched.

And to cover next year I only need around €70k to cover the mortgage and ongoing architect, permit and initial builder fees.

The main costs come in 2022, will be around €500k for the renovations, but that gives me plenty of time to see calls and generate cash, or if the opportunity presents itself, cash out.

And they key to my serenity - a mortgage, better to borrow than sell your shares!!

This is a much more apt comparison:

Pasted%20image%201605568788521.png
I think stock market comparisons with anything that happened in December 1999 are not going to be apt.

Am I crazy to be thinking of leveraging up some of my LEAPS? I never thought I would get the chance as it would spike immediately. Having a month changes things - hence only a 12% rise AH.

Thinking of Jun 22' 700s - currently $65.

I've been deliberating my options since early this morning too. Can't make up my mind.

1. keep buying shares (margin?), wait for squeeze, sell, wait for drop, buy more
  2. buy LEAPS (I liked the June'22 too, margin? ), wait.... profit...
  3. sell covered calls against trading shares, strike $1-200 above current SP - will be stressful to avoid being assigned, need to wait for IV to improve to make it worthwhile - current premiums not interesting
    1. Dec4'20 560c $0.58 / 660c $0.18
    2. Dec11'20 560c $0.74 / 660c $0.04
    3. Dec18'20 560c $2.05 / 660c $0.61
    4. Dec24'20 560c $2.43 / 600c $1.47
    5. WTF!
  4. combination of above
Currently I'm leaning towards 2 and later 3.... o_O

I'm sure I'm not the only one here going through this.... hurts my head :)

Wow. That sounds like a lot of selling. Sell, sell, sell!

You must be one of those people who don't believe they have gained anything unless they sell! Myself, I see that the company I have fractional ownership in is intertwining itself into the economy and the system we live in. It's becoming a pillar of the world. But it's still the early days. Plenty of time for the tentacles to slide and slither into every major nook and cranny.
I thought it was implied that those options were only going to happen if prices when crazy. > 600 ;) I won’t be getting out of bed for anything less. I actually bought more this AM.

In that range I’ll probably sell my shorter term calls. Shares won’t move much at all until closer to 800.

Last edited:
I've been deliberating my options since early this morning too. Can't make up my mind.

1. keep buying shares (margin?), wait for squeeze, sell, wait for drop, buy more
  2. buy LEAPS (I liked the June'22 too, margin? ), wait.... profit...
  3. sell covered calls against trading shares, strike $1-200 above current SP - will be stressful to avoid being assigned, need to wait for IV to improve to make it worthwhile - current premiums not interesting
    1. Dec4'20 560c $0.58 / 660c $0.18
    2. Dec11'20 560c $0.74 / 660c $0.04
    3. Dec18'20 560c $2.05 / 660c $0.61
    4. Dec24'20 560c $2.43 / 600c $1.47
    5. WTF!
  4. combination of above
Currently I'm leaning towards 2 and later 3.... o_O

I'm sure I'm not the only one here going through this.... hurts my head :)

I am thinking more of swapping shares with deep ITM calls a year out. Will be happy to swap 200 shares with 3 calls. = 50% leverage, hardly any time cost.

Even though it likely helps me as an investor for the S&P500 to include Tesla, I don't really care from a financial POV. I care because:

1) The stock will be more stable, may get better credit, is harder to attack
2) It creates buzz and positive news about EVs, which should drive EV adoption further
3) It means some truly horrible, selfish, stupid, environmentally-destructive people lose an absolute ton of money.

So today is a good day.

A word of caution

Despite I am as excited as everybody here about the overdue inclusion and the pre-market action I recommend resisting the feeling of greed. If you believe in the long-term success of Tesla regardless if we see a squeeze or not you win in any case if you hold your stocks and avoid the temptation to time the market.

Markets are irrational and over the years I learned tsla is extra irrational.

Over time until Dec 21st maybe after too we will see great buying power but to believe you can sell high and buy low is not a good strategy.

Lean back, grab the popcorn and enjoy the show

A word of caution

I was just writing a post starting with these same words.

My warning comes from when TMC has almost 100% agreement on the short term SP we have been wrong more than correct. True, now we are talking a 5-6 weeks scenario instead of 1-2 weeks. I couldn't be happier if everyone is correct this time but everyone think for yourself and don't just go with what everyone else say is gonna happen.

On August 12 Tesla announced a stock split - an event that would actually happen a month from then, and was only expected to have a minor effect on the SP since it didn't fundamentally change the company. Sound familiar? TSLA shocked everyone by going straight up from that day until the stock split. Momentum traders kept piling on every day, and shorts kept getting squeezed.

Edit: There is one difference here. A minor detail - funds must buy $50B of TSLA while this is all happening.

Last edited: