Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Headline read "Goldman Sachs Upgrades Tesla (TSLA) to Buy, PT to $780 on Improved LT Sales Outlook and Margin Expansion" anybody got the full details?
Sure...here you go...:D:D:D:D:D:D

upload_2020-12-2_14-53-14.png

Goldman Sachs raises their price target from $455 to $780, upgrade to Buy.

upload_2020-12-2_14-58-3.png

Edit:
Continued...

We believe that the Energy and full self driving (FSD) software businesses could be more valuable than we previously thought. The Energy business should also benefit from the regulatory shift toward carbon reduction and clean energy, and solar market valuations have similarly accelerated. In addition, our FSD valuation analysis could be toward the higher end or above our prior expectation as the larger auto sales opportunity should lead to a bigger installed base of cars for Tesla to sell software for.

Last edited:
Elon : "money doesn't grow on trees, so be smart and look for ways to cut costs"
Interpretation 1 : "OMG, they are going to lose money. Bankwupt!"
Interpretation 2 : "Smart. Focus on cost cutting to lower prices and increase margins."
Interpretation 3: "Elon is saying $TSLA SP is too high......"

Thank you so much for sharing; I am really interested in the last bolded line on FSD which is cut off. Are they attaching any valuation to FSD / energy?

Of course! Goldman Sachs didn't add their full model to the note so I am not 100% sure if FSD and Energy is being included in the valuation. Their estimates they reference only go out to FY2022 so I'm going to assume no. What they did include in the note was their analysis on the potential opportunity for FSD and energy.

The full paragraph that gets cut off states:

We believe that the Energy and full self driving (FSD) software businesses could be more valuable than we previously thought. The Energy business should also benefit from the regulatory shift toward carbon reduction and clean energy, and solar market valuations have similarly accelerated. In addition, our FSD valuation analysis could be toward the higher end or above our prior expectation as the larger auto sales opportunity should lead to a bigger installed base of cars for Tesla to sell software for.

Edit: I found this paragraph.

We are raising our price targets for the auto exposed companies in our coverage to reflect our more positive view of the EV market, higher market multiples, and upside risk to our estimates given the recent strength in global auto sales. Our estimates are unchanged.

Can you please explain how one sees level 2 option trades on thinkorswim desktop? I looked and could not figure it out..... :confused:
On the ToS desktop app you would go to the trade tab and one of the drop down sections is listed as (I think) option trades. Expand that and you'll see real time option trades along with the two largest trades for the day (as a default). Somewhere along the far right there is a settings button you can press and expand the largest trades to up to ten of the largest trades.

Im sure that's clear as mud and I'm away from a computer still, but if you need further shoot me a message and I'll try to help you without clogging the main thread

Correct, because it's a "rebalancing", meaning $TSLA does "add" to the $ value of the funds matching the index on 21/12, but displaces other positions which will be sold for buying $TSLA.

The only thing the fund managers care about is getting that %age balance as close to what the S@P decree.

For us, the daily swings in $TSLA has quite an impact in our portfolios, in my case I'm 100% all-in, so a 10% movement leads to, say, a 15% change in value (taking into account average on LEAPS), for the S&P tracker funds, we're talking about a 10% movement on a position that has a 1.X% value in their portfolio. Doesn't change that much in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah, and considering the fund managers / robots have to sell an equivalent total of shares of 499 other companies, thereby depressing the rest of the index, no? So as a total index, wouldn't the impact of inflating TSLA be a wash? i.e. TSLA SP goes up 20% based on demand, and all other SPs go down 0.1% x 499 (or whatever's the correct proportions - someone will correct me on the % of the index Tesla will assume, I could check Rob's video...)