Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they held back the Model Y in China to also help with the typically weak Q1. Also, it is unusual for them to produce more than they delivered in Q4. I think they purposely held back once they knew they were close to 500K.
I think Tesla doesn't ever hold back as time is always money. If Tesla could deliver an extra 500 cars this q to hit 500k they would. Because this 500 number is way more important thanks to whatever the number from q1 is.

Do you have any tips for improving one's long-term memory? Because I'm having trouble remembering that long ago! :cool:
Semi OT, but it’s Sunday Funday!
To improve working memory try dual-n-back app on app store. I got to n=7, if you can beat that you will have my respect! Bonus point, improving WM through DNB is one of the few exercises that will increase your IQ or at least it will help you keep a more complex line of reasoning or story in your WM will someone explains something to you... Only problem is that the training is brutal, you will find every excuse there is to quit training, it’s like legday for your brain...
To improve long term memory, fix sleep, if old consider boosting NAD+(NMN for example) and do some practice with mnemonic major system:
Mnemonic major system - Wikipedia
Get a book or watch some video about it. If you can memorize your passport numbers that’s a good start!

There were hundreds of MY already on the lot - why wait until Jan 1?
Margin - delaying sale of those vehicles until Q1 allows startup costs for the Shanghai Y to be spread across the full Shanghai Y Q1 production rather than across a few hundred units delivered at end of Q4. Tesla must believe that the reduced sales numbers in Q4 are better than reducing Q4 margin.

And another point from the peanut gallery ant farm...
The push was drawn back for Q4 deliveries to:

Make Q1 look impressive straight up YOY...

AND imagine this title at the end of next year's deliveries:
Tesla MORE THAN DOUBLES last year's Production with a Million Deliveries....
"In 2020 Tesla did not deliver 500,000 vehicles. This year they achieved an unimaginable mind-boggling 1,000, 291 vehicles. Over a 100% increase in Deliveries...."

(He's done the math)

Oh my, I really screwed it up with between 600% and 2500% on various accounts :(

What is staggering to me is that could have easily been 20,000% if my timing wasn’t terrible and I knew what I was doing. It could also just as easily have been 20% if I was less lucky.

The worst mistake I could make is thinking I had anything to do with that return. Which is why I’ll be playing dead with most of my holdings moving forward now that it’s a more reasonable amount and HODLing for 10 years should result in meeting or exceeding all financial objectives. HODLing with the amount I started 2020 with wouldn’t have done so.

Semi OT, but it’s Sunday Funday!
To improve working memory try dual-n-back app on app store. I got to n=7, if you can beat that you will have my respect! Bonus point, improving WM through DNB is one of the few exercises that will increase your IQ or at least it will help you keep a more complex line of reasoning or story in your WM will someone explains something to you... Only problem is that the training is brutal, you will find every excuse there is to quit training, it’s like legday for your brain...
To improve long term memory, fix sleep, if old consider boosting NAD+(NMN for example) and do some practice with mnemonic major system:
Mnemonic major system - Wikipedia
Get a book or watch some video about it. If you can memorize your passport numbers that’s a good start!

No thanks I already have a perfect IQ of 100.

This is as good a time as any for the yearly Moderator Thread Note. As before, in order that ALL have the opportunity to read and digest this note, the thread ==>will be locked<== for a good amount of time; it will, however, definitely be re-opened well in time for Monday morning's pre-market activity.

And, in the unexpected but certainly possible scenario, just in case any individual has a Moderator on "Ignore", this message is being copied and re-submitted by at least one other Moderator.

First, congratulations to all for having made it through the festering, cancerous carbuncle of a year, made wonderful in a very special way by the magnificent performance of TSLA. May all receive their vaccines soon and a semblance of life as we once knew it (except a robust diminution of TSLA FUD would be welcome) return.

Housekeeping items:

There have occurred a small number of times when posters feel aggrieved because they felt their posts disappeared without some kind of prior notice. This never is the case. Moderator warnings always occur. When in Mod-mode, all of us have adopted distinctive colors - it is very easy to see when such a warning is present. HOWEVER, because of the open fire hydrant of postings that often exist, it can be that a notification passes unread. Also, a post or two or ten can be the nose of the camel under the tent and are let slip without any action by a Mod, but your post shows up and slam bang! You get detention. Think of it as no different from the Highway Patrolman who stops you and not the prior drivers for speeding. It's nothing personal.

Unless it is. And if that is so, it is because you have been skating on thin ice, either with or without prior warnings or action, multiple times.

How best to act on this without badly diminishing the liveliness for which this thread is a wonderful example?

First: ALL thread participants need to place ALL Moderators on "Follow". That way, each of you will receive notice of every post that every Moderator makes. That means me @AudubonB, and also @ggr, @Right_Said_Fred, and @Intl Professor. ***RSFred specifically asks you NOT follow him unless you’ve a lifelong desire to wade through many, many posts in Dutch***. Now - over the past eight years the amount of postings I make that are outside the Investors' Forum have diminished to virtually none, so this will clog few peoples' TMC experience. The postings of ggr are more eclectic and if your Dutch language skills are rusty you'll have a chance for some enlightenment with many of Fred's posts. Prof keeps trying to retire but we keep refusing him that luxury. If we add Moderators this year then we'll addend this.

Second: As any good Tyrant knows, hoi polloi tiring of a Tyrant can be trying, indeed. In that there is no easy structural way to ensure the prior "Follow" emplacement, that #1 is, in effect, immediately put on hold. BUT: if any poster egregiously ignores Moderators' explicit statements/instructions, then he or she is immediately placed on Probation. This puts ALL of his or her posts in abeyance, viewable only to Moderators, until we learn that the poster is, indeed, Following the Moderators. That is part of the terms of Probation. Simple, effective and of minimal disturbance to the flow of the thread.

Third: This is mostly for the edification of the newer participants here. As Lead/Senior/Head Moderator, as Thread Originator or as Chief Toilet Scrubber, I long since have relinquished almost all of the heavy work of deep corporate or value assessment to others; rather, I troll usually every single post whenever fighting COVID, scrubbing toilets and raising a toddler allows me the time, checking inappropriate activity and having gentle fun with the English (and occasionally other) language and felicitous turns of fate, and, on occasion, reaching deep into my many decades of investing to share with you my insights (and a well-deserved nod here to fellow long-distance traveler @jbcarioca for his terrific long-term perspectives and experiences that he has been sharing). Many of my attempts at good humor can be passed over - I have no antipathy to that whatsoever. But the times I crack the whip - you'll know it. It is not a burden for anyone seriously interested in investing to follow my posts.

Fourth: Again, mostly for the newcomers. By our own initiative or after recommendations from participants, we place into the "Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit" thread entries that we consider to be more timeless than timely; gems that sparkle especially brightly. It is a "Stickied" thread, meaning it always is at the top level of the Investors' Sector threads. Read them: you will become a better investor and you will be especially knowledgeable about Tesla.

Fifth: As you know because you all read the Terms of Service when you signed up, the owners of TMC consider the correcting of grammatical errors, misspellings and other language offenses not to be worth spending time or electrons, and thus those mistreatments of the English language are explicitly not to be challenged. Not by Moderators OR by others. Howinsoever.....this one hundred percent does not apply to foul language, to 'dirty' language, to abusive language and all such words, phrases and direct allusions that I lump under the category of pottymouth. You can talk and write that way to your mother all you wish - I'll not be stopping you. But when I find such in this and the other Investor threads not only am I personally offended, but you absolutely diminish yourself and any message you might wish to bring to others. It is not a shining example of wit; it is the dull carbuncle worn by the dullard. It inextricably demonstrates your laziness. Resorting to the forum's autocorrector - obvious whenever the term <*sugar*> appears - is no crutch allowing you to hobble through. Not only is that autocorrector palpably limited in its reach, but all who see that term reflexively back-translate it. That being the case, as I read posts, if time permits, such garbage language is permanently excised from the writing. If you know you're one of those offenders, you may go back to your day's writing some time and take a look: extracting the unhappy verbiage can turn virtual garbage into a really inept word salad.

So? So if you wouldn't write that way to your grandmother - all right, to your great grandmother - then don't write that way here. Easy peasy. And if you really want to let loose, be inventive. Take a page from me. I think I provided a useful example earlier today when I raked quite a few journalists over chili-strewn coals:

Sixth: Off Topic posts. Some of you may feel aggrieved and have a different opinion, but Moderators are very, very lenient with OT writings. Most so on weekends; a little less so after market hours; sometimes fairly forceful during trading sessions. This is the best time to re-state our many-years-derived experience: ONE off-topic post is, by itself, tolerable. A single response can be, too. But what so many, many times happens is that others view the existence of an OT post as being carte blanche for them to chime in, and the floodgates burst open. It's bad enough when the posts contain trenchant material. Mods are - believe it or not - loath to vaporize high-quality insight just because it doesn't belong in a post. But we are not your waterboys and after years of such we are really, really unlikely to go through the effort of carving out such posts and moving them to where they belong. Sometimes we still do it. ALL times we remember who the miscreants were.

Capiti tutti? Bene.

A fascinating year awaits. Have fun!

Mod: Whereas it has come to our attention that some have placed some moderators on ignore; and whereas this is the right time (new year, long weekend) to reinforce pronouncements:

This is as good a time as any for the yearly Moderator Thread Note. As before, in order that ALL have the opportunity to read and digest this note, the thread
==>will be locked<== for a good amount of time; it will, however, definitely be re-opened well in time for Monday morning's pre-market activity.

And, in the unexpected but certainly possible scenario, just in case any individual has a Moderator on "Ignore", this message is being copied and re-submitted by at least one other Moderator.

First, congratulations to all for having made it through the festering, cancerous carbuncle of a year, made wonderful in a very special way by the magnificent performance of TSLA. May all receive their vaccines soon and a semblance of life as we once knew it (except a robust diminution of TSLA FUD would be welcome) return.

Housekeeping items:

There have occurred a small number of times when posters feel aggrieved because they felt their posts disappeared without some kind of prior notice. This never is the case. Moderator warnings always occur. When in Mod-mode, all of us have adopted distinctive colors - it is very easy to see when such a warning is present. HOWEVER, because of the open fire hydrant of postings that often exist, it can be that a notification passes unread. Also, a post or two or ten can be the nose of the camel under the tent and are let slip without any action by a Mod, but your post shows up and slam bang! You get detention. Think of it as no different from the Highway Patrolman who stop you and not the prior drivers for speeding. It's nothing personal.

Unless it is. And if that is so, it is because you have been skating on thin ice, either with or without prior warnings or action, multiple times.

How best to act on this without badly diminishing the liveliness for which this thread is a wonderful example?

First: ALL thread participants need to place ALL Moderators on "Follow". That way, each of you will receive notice of every post that every Moderator makes. That means me @AudubonB, and also @ggr, @Right_Said_Fred, and @Intl Professor. ***RSFred specifically asks you NOT follow him unless you’ve a lifelong desire to wade through many, many posts in Dutch*** Now - over the past eight years the amount of postings I make that are outside the Investors' Forum have diminished to virtually none, so this will clog few peoples' TMC experience. The postings of ggr are more eclectic and if your Dutch language skills are rusty you'll have a chance for some enlightenment with many of Fred's posts. Prof keeps trying to retire but we keep refusing him that luxury. If we add Moderators this year then we'll addend this.

Second: As any good Tyrant knows, hoi polloi tiring of a Tyrant can be trying, indeed. In that there is no easy structural way to ensure the prior "Follow" emplacement, that #1 is, in effect, immediately put on hold. BUT: if any poster egregiously ignores Moderators' explicit statements/instructions, then he or she is immediately placed on Probation. This puts ALL of his or her posts in abeyance, viewable only to Moderators, until we learn that the poster is, indeed, Following the Moderators. That is part of the terms of Probation. Simple, effective and of minimal disturbance to the flow of the thread.

Third: This is mostly for the edification of the newer participants here. As Lead/Senior/Head Moderator, as Thread Originator or as Chief Toilet Scrubber, I long since have relinquished almost all of the heavy work of deep corporate or value assessment to others; rather, I troll usually every single post whenever fighting COVID, scrubbing toilets and raising a toddler allows me the time, checking inappropriate activity and having gentle fun with the English (and occasionally other) language and felicitous turns of fate, and, on occasion, reaching deep into my many decades of investing to share with you my insights (and a well-deserved nod here to fellow long-distance traveler @jbcarioca for his terrific long-term perspectives and experiences that he has been sharing). Many of my attempts at good humor can be passed over - I have no antipathy to that whatsoever. But the times I crack the whip - you'll know it. It is not a burden for anyone seriously interested in investing to follow my posts.

Fourth: Again, mostly for the newcomers. By our own initiative or after recommendations from participants, we place into the "Moderators' Choice: Posts of Particular Merit" thread entries that we consider to be more timeless than timely; gems that sparkle especially brightly. It is a "Stickied" thread, meaning it always is at the top level of the Investors' Sector threads. Read them: you will become a better investor and you will be especially knowledgeable about Tesla.

Fifth: As you know because you all read the Terms of Service when you signed up, the owners of TMC consider the correcting of grammatical errors, misspellings and other language offenses not to be worth spending time or electrons, and thus those mistreatments of the English language are explicitly not to be challenged. Not by Moderators OR by others. Howinsoever.....this one hundred percent does not apply to foul language, to 'dirty' language, to abusive language and all such words, phrases and direct allusions that I lump under the category of pottymouth. You can talk and write that way to your mother all you wish - I'll not be stopping you. But when I find such in this and the other Investor threads not only am I personally offended, but you absolutely diminish yourself and any message you might wish to bring to others. It is not a shining example of wit; it is the dull carbuncle worn by the dullard. It inextricably demonstrates your laziness. Resorting to the forum's autocorrector - obvious whenever the term <*sugar*> appears - is no crutch allowing you to hobble through. Not only is that autocorrector palpably limited in its reach, but all who see that term reflexively back-translate it. That being the case, as I read posts, if time permits, such garbage language is permanently excised from the writing. If you know you're one of those offenders, you may go back to your day's writing some time and take a look: extracting the unhappy verbiage can turn virtual garbage into a really inept word salad.

So? So if you wouldn't write that way to your grandmother - all right, to your great grandmother - then don't write that way here. Easy peasy. And if you really want to let loose, be inventive. Take a page from me. I think I provided a useful example earlier today when I raked quite a few journalists over chili-strewn coals:

Sixth: Off Topic posts. Some of you may feel aggrieved and have a different opinion, but Moderators are very, very lenient with OT writings. Most so on weekends; a little less so after market hours; sometimes fairly forceful during trading sessions. This is the best time to re-state our many-years-derived experience: ONE off-topic post is, by itself, tolerable. A single response can be, too. But what so many, many times happens is that others view the existence of an OT post as being carte blanche for them to chime in, and the floodgates burst open. It's bad enough when the posts contain trenchant material. Mods are - believe it or not - loath to vaporize high-quality insight just because it doesn't belong in a post. But we are not your waterboys and after years of such we are really, really unlikely to go through the effort of carving out such posts and moving them to where they belong. Sometimes we still do it. ALL times we remember who the miscreants were.

Capiti tutti? Bene.

A fascinating year awaits. Have fun!

--ggr

A small addition to what @AudubonB wrote (he amended his post to reflect this): it’s not required to follow me and I would also advice against it. I don’t want to burden anyone with notifications about all my posts in the Dutch subforum.

~~~And there have been a minuscule number of other tweaks of “the post”, including a direct link to a recommended post.~~~

AP through Yahoo - 4 hours ago: Cuts likely as Fiat Chrysler-PSA tie-up nears approval

Excerpt:

Experts say that means Tavares, currently the head of PSA Group, is likely to follow that blueprint when he becomes leader of a merged PSA and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles. The low-performing Chrysler brand might get the axe as could slow-selling cars, SUVs or trucks that lack potential.

~~~Ported over from Temp thread. Thank you.~~~

Tesla Giga Shanghai Is Ramping Up Model Y Production to Meet Extraordinary China Demand

Tesla Model Y is in very high demand in China, and attracts thousands of customers every day. Orders for the highly anticipated SUV have reportedly surpassed 100,000. At the same time, stores that already have Model Y on display are overwhelmed with potential customers, while other automakers' stores resemble a desert.

~~~Ported over from Temp thread. Thank you.~~~

I've always been a leader, never a follower, so I have no idea how one kickstarts a "Following" into a "subscribes to all the Leader's posts".

This was the Moderators' collective best idea for how to ensure that all participants see Moderator Notes & Warnings. We're working on it but if any have constructive suggestions you may post them here.

Why not just post your message every day for a week at various times? No need to turn the thread off and in fact more people will probably see it since many members don't even check in on the weekend.

~~~Ported over from Temp thread. Thank you. And: we are reverting to do just this, even though it will likely be an irritant to some sensitive souls for a few days or so.~~~

Reactions: MitchMitch