Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla could fix the gap issues whether caused by humans or robots. For some reason Elon has not chosen to prioritize the fix high enough to do it. Not sure why they don’t just fix it once and for all, but I trust Elon - I know he has a good reason.

Elon test drove/QC’d one of my model 3’s after sleeping in the factory in April 2018 and it still has panel gaps!

Did Elon drive my car?

Car was paired to his phone, navigation to Open AI in SF, and then to the Executive Air terminal in SF. All 1 month before I took delivery in May 2018. It’s still in the Navigation. The car was delivered in NJ.

Last edited:
Did he say what EV stock he went into? Asking for a friend.
No. But I’m pretty sure it’s either apterra or arcimoto. I believe he’s a board member for either or possibly both. Definitely instrumental in design and engineering for both. He talks a lot about his interest in design and development of 3 wheeled vehicles. I think he was miffed when Elon shot him down saying that they’re not safe enough; which I agree with, and I think it’s a bad fit for the brand image.

Is it hard to imagine that BMW already had approval to build an autoplant on that parcel of land near Berlin, before they backed out of the deal and moved that production to eastern Europe? Think this experience has made the local authorities more wary?

Is it hard to imagine that the laws are written differently than where you live? I don't agree with these laws but as written in most of Europe one lousy frog (or any other animal) can hold up developments for years. As can lots of other things you and I might deem unnecessary.

Whatever BMW planned to do there many years earlier have little bearing on the new situation more than the land being intended for industrial use. Actually if Tesla had taken over the month after BMW decided not to build it might have worked, actually that 'forest' might not have even been there when BMW had plans, but with several years passed it was a given new permits would be needed. Including checking for whatever animals might have decided to make their home there.

Oh, and 'local authorities' can't just decide to skip over steps in the process. Unlike some other countries that's what gets you fired from your position over here.

Elon and Tesla knew what the rules where. They decided to ignore them and take the risk. It seems to work. Not sure why you and some others are so upset.

Perfect fit and finish. Not one cosmetic defect that I can find. The paint and gaps are flawless.

Elon test drove/QC’d one of my model 3’s after sleeping in the factory in April 2018 and it still has panel gaps!
Err, did they suddenly appear or did you become more critical?

Err, did they suddenly appear or did you become more critical?

The drivers side rear door started chipping paint on the front edge after about 6 months. It was not flush with the front door. Did not notice until the paint started chipping. I had a local body shop adjust it and fix the paint.

I would still say overall the car is pretty good for an early build.

Could these generally bullish analysts sandbag estimates purposely to keep their job relevant? If they are continuously increasing/ modifying their forecasts then they are essentially providing valuable regularly scheduled contents. In turn then security for their job. Imagine had you had ARKs forecast and price target for the last two years. What new info are you providing their clients paying $$$$ clients? I mean there bears with almost higher forecasts in 2030.
I wouldn’t be surprised if they are sandbagging or playing other games. For example, it’s common knowledge in the industry that underwriting analysts on new IPOs sandbag numbers for the company’s benefit.

But it’s common for analysts to adjust their estimates a few times per quarter.

Let's not stretch us too far here. If Tesla cannot, or do not want to fix a thing even Hyundai can master and somehow people think it is normal, then I am afraid we are in an echo chamber, and it's not a good thing. Look, I just want my car to look great. Watch Monroe video carefully, not just the panel gap, but one of the panel bulge up too.

I rest my case, will not continue this topic anymore. Thanks for your time. I followed Tesla from 2012 and journeyed along through numerous up and downs. It is my passion and frankly, 80% of my weekend entertainment.

I truely wish Tesla well. But sometimes pampering you baby is not the best way to love.

Tesla could fix the gap issues whether caused by humans or robots. For some reason Elon has not chosen to prioritize the fix high enough to do it. Not sure why they don’t just fix it once and for all, but I trust Elon - I know he has a good reason.

MKHBD reviewed this perfectly... but YouTube deleted video. Basically he has given Tesla a pass on these quality issues till others have the range and charging networks.

• Informative
Reactions: wtlloyd
Let's not stretch us too far here. If Tesla cannot, or do not want to fix a thing even Hyundai can master and somehow people think it is normal, then I am afraid we are in an echo chamber, and it's not a good thing. Look, I just want my car to look great. Watch Monroe video carefully, not just the panel gap, but one of the panel bulge up too.

I rest my case, will not continue this topic anymore. Thanks for your time. I followed Tesla from 2012 and journeyed along through numerous up and downs. It is my passion and frankly, 80% of my weekend entertainment.

I truely wish Tesla well. But sometimes pampering you baby is not the best way to love.

Yep, Hyundai are great, aren't they?...

Hyundai Recalls 471,000 Tucson SUVs for Fire Hazard
Hyundai issues recall for thousands of cars sold in Ireland over safety fears
Hyundai i30, Elantra and Santa Fe recalled
Pregnant Chattanooga woman, 2 children escape after car bursts into flames

Last edited:
In case people don’t know, the 100 M is not a payment. It is a guarantee. A bank guarantee is fine as well.
In Europe people typically like partners to keep there word. Corporations acting like there is no need for them to do that, especially if they are big. Such behavior can easily lead to resentment among the general public, which is not good for the environment (there is a mission), sales and shareholders.

More specifically, the payment represents a contractual guarantee. Tesla will not pay it before they are sure they want to enter into the contract.

• Disagree
Reactions: ByeByeJohnny
it also raises an issue with me of people who feel the need to sell all of their stake in any company. Unless you feel that the business or strategy has fundamentally diverged from your goals or beliefs. IMHO it’s much more sensible to trim the position. This makes it much easier to rebuild that position later whilst enjoying the financial freedoms that come with ‘cashing in’ on some of the gains/profits that have been recognized. As opposed to paying 30+% taxes on the entire position.

Selling all of a particular position creates a significant psychological barrier to re-entry, and appears to present a psychological conflict of objectivity.

I agree but Sandy is, self-admittedly, not much of an investor. It's not something he does with any persistence or enthusiasm. I think some people, for whatever reason, don't understand how to make compounding work for them over the course of their lives. To this type of person, it's all about making a smart move and cashing out. :rolleyes:

Please don't start with Tesla sold every car they made in China. That is simply not relevant. Or shall I say, they could sell more and speed up the mission more if this build quality has been eradicated? Don't agree with me? Thinks they sold every car possible in China? How about they could sell every possible S and X in China? Not being argumentative, just trying to make the point.

To defend the indefensible only makes our mission a cult mission.

Well, Tesla sells every car they can make in China. How's that for a start? :D

To be serious here, I've never defended panel gaps, every car should be perfect. What I have said is that too many people make a mountain out of a molehill and, as an investor, panel gaps are not one of my bigger worries. As a Tesla buyer, panel gaps don't worry me either. If I had a gap as inconsistent as the one on Munro's latest Tesla, you bet, I would take it back to Tesla and have them fix it. But the chances of getting one that bad are pretty damn low.

Yes, every car should be perfect. No, I'm not worried about it - there are a lot more things that it actually makes sense to worry about.:cool:

The problem with this argument is that many of us have had Teslas delivered with no problem panel gaps over the past eight years. And given the detractors' position that every flaw on a particular must be shouted from the rooftops to justify their position, it's just hard to swallow "this is a major problem".

It's not just the cars we have purchased, I have inspected panel gaps on close to a thousand Tesla's and, with a few exceptions, the gaps were consistent enough that I'm simply not concerned.

The odds that Munro just happened to get an outlier are rather low.

What Munro got is the definition of an "outlier". It's not representative of the vast majority of cars that come out of Fremont. I've seen more than enough Tesla from different production batches to say this with certainty. It might be more common than it should be (100% perfect, ideally) but it's not normal. That gap varied by 5 mm if I recall. That's an outlier.

Of course it's superior. The factory is the product, and the Shanghai factory is a purpose made product. Fremont is a cobbled together mess, so the vehicles it makes aren't ever going to be as good.

And to put that into perspective, the two cars we have from Fremont are the two best cars we've ever purchased. I don't think I would say that about ANY car that ever came out of NUMMI before Tesla bought it.

Ironically, the other day I was going through some old files and found a folder containing all the service records for our 2000 Volvo S80 T6 that we purchased new in 1999 for about $70K out the door. That was a LOT of money for a car in 1999. The car was beautiful and we drove it daily for 18 years. It turned out to be our favorite non-Tesla of all time. But here's the funny thing. As I browsed the service records I was shocked at how much service it needed and how expensive it was. We liked the car so much we put that out of our minds.

The first service record said "Owner notes the trunk has uneven panel gaps and doesn't line up properly with the tail light." Corrected under warranty. This car was made in Volvo's primary plant in Gothenburg, Sweden on new production lines that had been running for a little over a year. I had quickly forgotten about the panel gap issue until I read the 20 year old service note.

Last edited:
Cannot agree with this assessment of the situation.

If anyone insists that this is a minor issue, then you need to open up your mind and see from out of the box.

In China, with constant attack from the public and media about supposed inferior build quality. It is somehow a fact now that Tesla is like VW, going mass market but yielding to other car makers, like Nio, on the luxury segment. It is also a implied drawback even for most of the buyers. "Yes, Tesla has built quality, but...."

If you focus on "but", then in China they sold every car they can ever built. but Nio right now position themselves to be like BBA of EV. It does not bold well with a car that is trying to compete with BBA and knock them out. If this trend continue down the road, it could only do more damage.

Like everybody else here, I feel Elon's word command authority and sincerity. Then here is what he said: " We want to achieve production perfection that if the gap is not consistent, then you measurement tool is wrong". This was said like what, 2 years ago?

Mission is critical, but you are marketing your product to the public, where most of the people care less about the mission like everyone here, including me. And to provide this type of product hurt you image, and hurt your mission. In comparison, if Starship has a gap inconsistency that does not affect the functionality, then nobody would care.

Please don't start with Tesla sold every car they made in China. That is simply not relevant. Or shall I say, they could sell more and speed up the mission more if this build quality has been eradicated? Don't agree with me? Thinks they sold every car possible in China? How about they could sell every possible S and X in China? Not being argumentative, just trying to make the point.

To defend the indefensible only makes our mission a cult mission.
Don't know if someone posted this in response yet. Tesla China is close to perfect build quality Tesla China manufacturing shines as MIC Model 3 claims top spot in quality survey