Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bill and Elon

Bill Gates is jealous of Elon Musk; his jealousy rooted in the failure of Teledesic — the company started by Bill, Craig McCaw, and a Saudi prince.

Elon makes rockets reusable, dramatically lowering costs, while satellites come down in size — from the size of a Chevy van to the size of a breadbox.

This is just Elon giving Bill a lesson in “first principles.”

“You can be the moon and still be jealous of the stars.“

– Gary Allan

Elon Musk believes Bill Gates had a big short position on Tesla (TSLA) and lost a lot of money - Electrek

Teledesic - Wikipedia

Does this make any sense possibly pending a renewed $7K tax credit???

Surprised nobody has said "29k Tesla if they bring back the tax credit!" a sub 30k EV with FSD hardware is pretty damn compelling

that's a lovely price point on the standard range M3 as it'll come in at <$30k with a $7k tax credit if Biden gets it pushed through later this year...

SO, I can wait a month or two and save 7 K ?
What fool wouldn't hold off buying for a month or two?

Even a Teslanare would hold off to save 7K in taxes!

Last edited:
@jbcarioca
there is an update to this, somewhat related to Tesla and Tesla Energy, TE and investing, so i don’t get smacked down
https://www.theage.com.au/national/...ape-the-electricity-grid-20210211-p571qm.html
(The Hornsdale plant expanded/ing to 150 megawatts)

at present over 7,800 megawatts proposed or on line
545 megawatts committed and/or in service
7,260 megawatts proposed additionally

a significant to me is a VPP (virtual power plant) with 1/2 megawatts in service, another 5 megawatts committed then scaling up to 245 megawatts of roughly around 40,000 or so combo’s of PV and batteries
(unknown number of them Tesla)
the exponential curve behind us is practically flat and looking vertical ahead

TE, Tesla energy and others will benefit.

Any bets that we will see a power wall and home solar backlog of a year or more once the dust settles from all this? I don't think we have any major population centers that haven't seen power issues in the past few years.

If Biden and the green new deal crowd were smart they would latch onto this disaster and promote solar as a rugged individualist technology that just happens to make the air cleaner.

The cryptocurrency stuff seems to have been pretty good free advertisement. EM's twitter follower number has increased significantly since January.

Twitter.jpg

Recent video of Bill Gates on CNBC "setting the record straight" about whether or not he was short TSLA by entirely skirting the question. This guy's motivations are beyond questionable.

https://cnb.cx/3s60XrW
wow. So basically "I'll short the company because I don't believe Elon can make it with Tesla" "Oh, he made it? I'm very proud of what Elon has done and there should be more Elon's in the world." you Gates.

wow. So basically "I'll short the company because I don't believe Elon can make it with Tesla" "Oh, he made it? I'm very proud of what Elon has done and there should be more Elon's in the world." you Gates.
He doesn’t talk about his investments, but he talks about investing in impossible meat and quantum scape.

Another mental midget joins the parades of shorts a la chanos, einhorn, citron, bury, etc.

Recent video of Bill Gates on CNBC "setting the record straight" about whether or not he was short TSLA by entirely skirting the question. This guy's motivations are beyond questionable.

https://cnb.cx/3s60XrW

While talking about his investments ( impossible foods, etc.) He is asked if he shorted tesla..

His response....." I don't talk about my investments"

I was always slightly above neutral regarding Bill Gates. Now well below neutral. What a jerk. Short the one company that has and more importantly will by far have the biggest impact on climate change, bar none. And then not even have the balls to admit it.

Unless I missed a revision, that is NOT how the current draft of the bill is worded. There is no retroactive language in the bill at all.

Exactly. I’m afraid this might make Q1 sales soft in the US. I’m pretty sure it’s the reason for the price cut. The prices haven’t changed in Canada like they usually do when US prices drop. So I doubt it’s to “pass on savings to customers”.

FYI, the TX grid doesn't "set prices as they wish". It's actually an open market, unlike the other grids in the US.

Everyone here has a mis-conception that the TX power market is fully de-regulated, that's not the case. The wires, etc. are still regulated, and their charges show up on your bill as a separate line item. The power producers in the state actually compete with each other, hence why power prices in TX are about 1/3 what they are in California. If you want to buy all wind power for your home, literally you can do that, and you are not at the mercy of the nearest power producer. Because of this free market, the wind producers usually crush the other producers on pricing in TX.

Again, the underlying problem for THIS SPECIFIC FAILURE is that the TX grid has virtually ZERO winterization. All forms of power production had problems: natural gas, nuclear, and wind.

With that said, I agree that if they had power sharing agreements in place with both the Western and Eastern US power grids, they could have bought power from those grids during this storm and avoided the massive issues.

But one thing you as a European probably do NOT understand about Texans - they are FIERCELY independent. More so than most Americans. You can bet they still probably won't connect their grid to the other two, simply because they are extremely skeptical of the US government (EDIT - although, techincally, there are a few interconnects with the two other grids).

In fact, back in 2011, they bought power from Mexico instead of the other US grids, LoL:
Texplainer: Why does Texas have its own power grid?
how is ElPaso, _Texas_ fairing during this crisis?
that may get the rest of the state’s attention

how is ElPaso, _Texas_ fairing during this crisis?

I don't know, should I google that for you?

EDIT:
Live Updates: Misery Deepens in Texas as a New Storm Threatens the East Coast

"Days of glacial weather have left at least 38 people dead nationwide, made many roads impassable, disrupted vaccine distribution and blanketed nearly three-quarters of the continental United States in snow."

"Duke Energy warned its customers in the Carolinas that there could be a million power outages in the days ahead, and Maryland’s governor, Larry Hogan, gave a similar warning, telling residents to keep their phones charged and to prepare themselves for the coming snow and ice."

(those two states are both served by HIGHLY regulated power providers, FYI)

There appears to be a lot of focus on Texas, but this storm and MAJOR power outages do not appear to be a TX-only problem.

Butt freezing cold.jpg

Power Outages.jpg

Last edited:
While talking about his investments ( impossible foods, etc.) He is asked if he shorted tesla..

His response....." I don't talk about my investments"
Which is a lie because in another portion of the segment he said "I don't have a long or short position on bitcoin". I take that as confirmation of a previous Tesla short.

Last edited: