Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The tax credit should not be per manufacturer. It should be either until a certain date or until the car market is 50%+1 electric.
Agreed--the credit should end at a certain date or predetermined percentage of the market is EV. As it's currently structured, the EV tax credit doesn't do nearly enough to transition to sustainable transportation.

He doesn’t talk about his investments, but he talks about investing in impossible meat and quantum scape.

Another mental midget joins the parades of shorts a la chanos, einhorn, citron, bury, etc.

I've been listening to excepts from his book on BBC Radio 4, it reminds me of what I was reading 20-25 years ago when I first got interested in climate change.

This stuff seems farfetched at present but if Tony Seba's superenergy surplus comes to fruition someday there'll be many things that start to make more sense and I'd be surprised if Elon's bitcoin and crypto flirtations aren't done in part to maintain this future optionality.
Tesla’s next business: Turning your solar roof and EV into Bitcoin mines | ZDNet

Interesting that what Seba sees as economically inevitable in 10 - 15 years Gates sees as a herculean effort needing never before seen world wide cooperation over 20 - 30 years. I'd pay folding money to see a discussion/debate with them and Elon.

Unless I'm reading something incorrectly, this language is pretty clear:

You misread or I wasn't clear. I agree. I meant "unfortunately you are correct". :) Credit only applies for cars purchased after the bill is passed.

Meanwhile...in SoCal...
Feb 10th: Ordered Solar Roof
Feb 11th: Design completed

Current step: Permitting

Already have two emails out to the project manager and both responses were same day. Though we already have our powerwalls so could be that's holding up your order.

View attachment 637821
I just talked to my installer and they said that Tesla was holding power walls aside for buyers buying solar roofs. No idea if that's accurate but it makes sense.

Well, I ordered my roof & powerwalls on 8/19, so tomorrow will be six months since my order, which is still on step one - assessment, with no movement or communication. So I’d say the backlog is already there.

Meanwhile...in SoCal...

Already have two emails out to the project manager and both responses were same day. Though we already have our powerwalls so could be that's holding up your order.

Solar Roof2.png

Unless I'm reading something incorrectly, this language is pretty clear:

https://mikethompson.house.gov/sites/mikethompson.house.gov/files/GREEN Act 2021 Bill Text.pdf

Page 43:
"Limitation --The amendment made by subsection (a) shall apply to vehicles sold after the date of enactment of this Act."
(emphasis mine)

EDIT - and you are looking at the section on USED EVs (something new and special for this bill). Those have income limits. There is no such income limit language in the section for NEW EVs.
Maybe I’ve missed it, but where does Tesla stand with respect to total US vehicles sold to date? I quit tracking that number after they crossed over 200,000 threshold...

"Bill Gates: We need more Elon Musks" | CNBC on Youtube

When Gates is asked directly "So you're not short Tesla stock, just so we're clear?" (@1:32), he rolls his eyes upward and mumbles "Yeah, I'm not... I don't talk about my investments". :rolleyes:

View attachment 637822

Guiltyface @ 1:43 :p

Note that both the question and reply are in the present tense.

Much easier to set up mining in datacentres near SWB (Solar + Wind + Batteries) with grid connection. When there is an oversupply from the grid or renewables (price may go negative), switch on the mining to absorb the extra electricity/stabilise the grid.
Tony Seba / Adam Dorr are suggesting cheapest SWB is 3-5 times the minimum power generation needed (in the future/at that time). 60-90+% of the time there will be an abundance of 'SuperPower'. ie - need 1GW peak/avg/minimum (unclear) - SWB will supply 3-5GW 60-90% of the time, only rarely dropping to sufficiency level for short periods (no wind, no sun, high demand).

Elon's Xprize Carbon Removal competition meet Tony Seba's 'SuperPower'.

Agreed--the credit should end at a certain date or predetermined percentage of the market is EV. As it's currently structured, the EV tax credit doesn't do nearly enough to transition to sustainable transportation.

And the limit per manufacturer will within one year (again) cause an American manufacturer to lose the credit, while European and Asian manufacturers keep the credit. The Chinese EV credit system favors EVs built in China, the American credit system will do the same. Let's all together Make China Great Again.

It was the policy under the Republicans and it looks like it will be the policy under the Democrats. Is there really not a single politician who sees this fundamental flaw in the EV credit system? The US will go the way of the Neanderthalers with such self-inflicted wounds.

Meanwhile...in SoCal...

View attachment 637821
Does your house face East? Just curious as to figuring out what might be possible on mine.

Interesting that what Seba sees as economically inevitable in 10 - 15 years Gates sees as a herculean effort needing never before seen world wide cooperation over 20 - 30 years. I'd pay folding money to see a discussion/debate with them and Elon.
You're right.
Promoted correctly this would create million$. All three would see this as a positive for climate change...
Take the money and create a Charity to adopt clean energy and let Seba write the checks.
I was going to propose halving it between Gates and Seba but felt Gates has enough that he would create a matching fund amount, and have him run his account. And see what each man and his resources could do...
This would also create more awareness and more money for climate change... and give some real power to some great minds that might have a better understanding and solutions to accelerate the move from fossil fuels.