Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All EVs benefit from preconditioning and prewarming. The major advantage of LFP is that you can plug it in, charge it to 100%, and leave it there while the cars waits in the garage for the next time you venture out.!
Sort of. It's still better to have the charging end just before you start to drive because the battery will be warm from charging.

CATL makes the entire pack (cells+case+wiring) for the MiC Model 3 LFP. If Tesla were to import that pack for vehicles built in Fremont, the packs would NOT pass through Sparks, NV. So I'm not sure how Bill could have any inside knowledge of such an arrangement.

Prolly a good thing too, since he'd be walking a thin line with revealing inside information. Remember the gal who would tweet about weekly volume at the paintshop in Fremont? Yeah, she got let go for violating here NDA with those tweets. Her twitter feed is now restricted for public viewing.

All EVs lose range in the cold, and it's not just about cold batteries: there are higher demands for cabin heating, higher rolling resistance from stiff tires on cold, slushy or snowy roads, and more requirements for use of wipers and defrosters.

All EVs benefit from preconditioning and prewarming. The major advantage of LFP is that you can plug it in, charge it to 100%, and leave it there while the cars waits in the garage for the next time you venture out.

Bottom line: if I was given the choice between a nickel (NCA) SR+ and an iron (LFP) SR from Fremont, I'd take the iron every time. I'd then pocket the difference in purchase price, and leave it plugged in all the time in my garage.

Oh, and I'd join the Tesla Network too so that it's out earning money for me twice a day (2 x rush hrs) while its not charging... That's basically a free LFP 3/Y that'll last for 1 million+ miles. :D

BTW, we learned on Bty Day that the $25K 'Model 2' will have Model 3 running gear (which includes the proven 1 million mile life rating for the drive unit) and the more economical LFP pack. So will there be a 'hot hatch ' version of Model 2 with NCA nickel batteries? Well, this is Tesla soo... :p

Cheers!
I am sorry, I hate to disagree with you of all people, but the LFP rollout in Europe was nothing short of a disaster. We are not talking about just one biased media outlet blowing sg. out of proportion either. I have read / watched reviews by German sources I trust and also spoke to a local Hungarian Youtuber who is a major Tesla fan and had the chance to try out an LFP variant. Even around ~0C he saw 30 kW "super"charging when cold, that could go up to ~60-70 sustained after hours and hours of driving and preconditioning. Range also went down way more significantly than with the NCAs, to 230km @120km/h, despite the heatpump.

Hopefully, other than the inherent cold issues with LFP chemistry, this is more the BMS not being fully configured for the new cells and will get better with OTA later. However, it may not be a coincidence that so far in Q1 there are zero ships from Shanghai to Europe and once again we are only getting Fremont SR+.

Here is the charging curve of the NCA vs LFP variants. Blue line is SR+ with Nevada cells, red is LFP charging on Ionity (350 kW), yellow is LFP on V2 Supercharger. Pack has been pre-heated in all cases and the tester is legit.
2021-02-04-tesla-sr-lfp-problema-01-2048x1152.png.webp

He straight up lies. He says he does not talk about his investments yet in 2020 he gleefully on video talks about specific companies he invested in profitability such as impossible company.

The dude lies alot. It is obvious from his body language. Why there are still so many people out there who believe this guy is just amazing. He is a god to the "media" is really all you need to know for the truth. But he hits all the virtue points for those who just love the social credit system. The effort to clean the environment has two camps. The globalists that will use this virtue to control (gates) and the pragmatic types that want a cleaner and liberating energy future (musk). It has never been more obvious. Too bad so many folks are falling for the first camp...it will not be pretty if they succeed (communism is an ugly thing)

CF Rotors are god aweful expensive. A 1k increase would only cover something like 15% of the cost of those.

More likely than not they simply know people wanting the P will pay 1k more. It's not a huge increase, and to be honest nothing in the "segment" comes close to the P3D in terms of performance.

Although . . . as a P3D owner, I am still waiting on Ludicrous mode for the car. At one point Elon said it would get it . . . years ago. LoL.
I think they would just be CF rotor sleeves to aid with magnet retention, so not necessarily krazy expensive.

Which is a lie because in another portion of the segment he said "I don't have a long or short position on bitcoin". I take that as confirmation of a previous Tesla short.
That’s my opinion too. It’s very easy to deny having been short TSLA, so the refusal to deny is practically a confirmation. He probably doesn’t like to reveal how much he lost.
Whatever your opinion of BG, I seriously doubt he would lie about it, so refusing to comment is the next best solution. So at least some of BG’s billions have been put to good use (fighting climate change).

All EVs lose range in the cold, and it's not just about cold batteries: there are higher demands for cabin heating, higher rolling resistance from stiff tires on cold, slushy or snowy roads, and more requirements for use of wipers and defrosters.

I am not talking about standard EV range loss. I am talking about some very unhappy customers. Yes there are positives with the Iron batteries but the slower charging and significantly less range in winter is not what people want.... altho it does appear the car is cheaper.

I've been driving a Tesla since 2013. I find the range loss not too bad as long as I have time to preheat everything. Some of the complaints could just be new EV owners who let their cars sit unplugged and drive off wit a frozen battery. I think all chemistry's would have a big loss in range but I don't know the true characteristics of LFP.

"The report from China already mentioned many buyers who do not want to keep their LFP Tesla. On Monday it was said on Twitter that many Danes had ordered a Chinese Model 3 in view of the sharp rise in electric car taxes from 2021 - and were now considering a cancellation. "
Tesla Model 3 with LFP Battery Has a Cold and Range Problem | Torque News

The comments have two people from Germany confirming the drastic range loss and slower charging in early Feb with the LFP battery.

I imagine some day someone will do a side by side test. Then we will know. As it stands now, I will never buy an LFP battery in winter cold climates.

He straight up lies. He says he does not talk about his investments yet in 2020 he gleefully on video talks about specific companies he invested in profitability such as impossible company.

Uh, in the first few seconds of the interview he says, "I invested in Impossible Foods, Beyond Meat, Quantumscape" then a few minutes later he say, "I don't talk about my investments".

I think it was quite awhile ago - maybe at autonomy day - that Musk said that goal was to produce MORE cars with SMALLER battery packs to increase the number of robotaxis on the road. This could well by associated with that. Someone sat down and said, right now x% of model 3 sales are long range, but if we drop the standard range price by $1000 the share of model 3 sales for the standard range will increase by z% giving us the ability to sell more cars and more stationary storage.

I prefer this version to "demand issues" but I don't have evidence other than "makes sense to me". Makes it a financially advantageous solution to being supply constrained.

Or maybe the semi is launching sooner than we thought, so they need batteries.
Another version that should be considered is that perhaps Tesla now has more vehicle production capability (ex-batteries), than the batteries to fill the bodies. Hence, lower the price a tad for the future sales that require fewer batteries. We saw this in the early days of the introduction of the dual motor drive. Initially, Tesla wasn’t producing enough motors to be able to add two into each Model 3 vehicle, thus they kept the price of AWD higher (and delayed availability) and “incentivize” buyers of the RWD. Eventually, motor production capabilities increased, and they started “dropping” availability of the cheaper RWD (no online order, special requests only). Personally, I believe that battery lines take longer to ramp up than other components, and therefore is the longest lead time item, which is always the one that gets most of engineers attention. Then, after things get settled, the next longest lead time items get attention, and on and on. That’s what I experienced while working at various startups.

While both want to reduce/reverse carbon emissions, Gates and Seba are on way different pages.
Because it is typical with technology disruptions for the mainstream to grasp and believe how rapidly they
will take place, Seba's prognostications get far less attention than they merit.

It would be great if a few of Gate's experts would review Seba's analysis and model
and if they seem accurate make that confirmation public and put it in front of the people
running Biden's climate change and renewable energy programs.

Gates could do some real good if he funded efforts to publicize easier to understand versions of Seba's
conclusions that renewables could meet all U.S. energy needs in 10 years and at lower total costs per KWh
than stretching the transition out twice as long. The excess energy production - his 'Superpower' would be a
massive additional benefit to eliminating all sources of CO2. Especially CO2 removal when best approaches are
validated. All of this combined really would create millions of good jobs across the country.
That is part of what I was thinking... but there is so much more to it...like Mr Gates being awakened. If his boys can't make a bigger change than Seba then perhaps he will redirect his money. And for Seba (if he is right) then he'll get a far greater mainstream audience... and Bill's Political backing...

Reactions: Nocturnal
The stock was beating the Nasdaq in the morning but noticeably decoupled from the Nasdaq about 45 mins ago and started getting walked down. Looks like MM's are stepping in to set up tomorrow for hitting max pain. Gonna set up a really interesting Friday/Monday since 50 day SMA is 761 and max pain is 760
I have a feeling THEY are going to hold things down tomorrow until the Robinhood selloff. Trying to decide if buying Puts at the end of today might pay off tomorrow.