Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I really hope if bitcoin gets close to where Tesla bought it they get out. Tesla buying bitcoin is one thing. And the heat came off when it was apparent they had gotten some pretty decent gains. But bitcoin is down 20% this week. Eth down 30%. If it drops below their purchase price and they haven’t sold the criticism will get intense.

Who knows, maybe they sold already. I'm sure Elon was getting some flack from China about the decision to buy bitcoin. When it went up to 58K, there should have been some incentive to just sell and realize a profit of roughly 1B dollars which would make Q1 look great. Hopefully that's what they did IMO. That could have catalyzed the rapid drop below 50k.

https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2020ltr.pdf

For those that haven't yet noticed, Buffett's Annual Letter to Shareholders has been posted. I commend reading this to everybody interested in business or investing, whether you agree with his individual investment choices, or whether you're invested in Bershire or not (I'm not, haven't ever been, and am unlikely to ever be).

Though I haven't made the time to do so, I've got a good case for going back and reading all of the letters to share holders. I think they've got them online back to 1980. I have been reading these annually since somewhere early in the 2000s.

I know that Berkshire has showed up as a point of conversation recently, and there is a fair bit of disdain from many here for Buffett and his stated intent to mostly stay away from tech companies. You'll learn why he's made that choice (and it IS a choice), but again - my suggestion to read these is more for a broad understanding of business.

Oh - and I find his writing style humorous, well crafted, and easy to understand. As a liberal arts major in my first attempt at college, I appreciate everything that is well written.

Honestly, I could not find a single useful information in this letter.
It all seems like the ramblings of a pensioner, reminiscing about the good ole days, with no awareness whatsoever about the industrial revolution underway all around us. No wonder Berkshire stocks underperformed Nasdaq for the past 10 years - can't even beat the most boring index fund....

Thinking about buying a lot more. I haven’t bought since August but it may be time to start accumulating more again.
Any thoughts on a good price to set a buy order at for this week? I wonder how low we go.

I have been dipping my toes into technicals so take this FWIW. 660 first and then solid support at 615-620. If the macros are bad and it loses the 620 support the next level of support is at 575-580.

On the upside we need to break the resistance at 708 first, then 745 and 780. If it breaks 780 again then we are back in the bullish trend.

Honestly, I could not find a single useful information in this letter.
It all seems like the ramblings of a pensioner, reminiscing about the good ole days, with no awareness whatsoever about the industrial revolution underway all around us. No wonder Berkshire stocks underperformed Nasdaq for the past 10 years - can't even beat the most boring index fund....
Buffet figured out how to print money within scarcity. When sustainable abundance showed up 12 years ago, his system became irrelevant.

Just look at NVEnergy. In 2015(?) NVE made more money than the entire Las Vegas strip combined. How should a monopoly utility pull off something like that? It was peak scarcity and they figured out how a monopoly can game the system. Buffet is good at identifying those opportunities and buying in.

Those days of simply buying the railroad that MUST transport the coal that everyone MUST use are gone.. Speed of innovation is the new oil, and Warren literally refuses to invest in innovation.

Who knows, maybe they sold already. I'm sure Elon was getting some flack from China about the decision to buy bitcoin. When it went up to 58K, there should have been some incentive to just sell and realize a profit of roughly 1B dollars which would make Q1 look great. Hopefully that's what they did IMO. That could have catalyzed the rapid drop below 50k.
Good chance Tesla liquidated some when Elon said valuation of BTC is a little high.

As much as I would like this to be true, I find it unlikely. Elon seemed to hype up crypto quite a bit and gained many Twitter followers since the BTC announcement. Selling the whole amount I think would lead to more backlash from BTC bulls and possible future Tesla owners. If Elon had not tweeted anything about crypto, then I think Tesla could have sold without much backlash.

Is Elon running for office and he's worried about alienating his base? What kind of backlash? Are Tesla owners going to sell their cars if Elon dumps Bitcoin?

I didn’t say current owners.

I think he has gained a lot of fans that he would lose just as quickly. Especially since it could easily be considered a “pump and dump”.

I think the BTC move was a “sales” move.

Reactions: UncaNed and kanweg
Elon's main worry shouldn't be Bitcoin-backlash, but this:

WWE legend Triple H challenges 'disrespectful' Elon Musk to fight on Mars

WWE legend Triple H challenges ‘disrespectful’ Elon Musk to fight on Mars as billionaire reveals space travel plans

NINTCHDBPICT000519377042.jpg

Curt Renz (and everyone else here)
Your viewpoint adds to the Forum. And the actions you choose to do make this place a richer place.
The guys that told you to stop posting about GB add value as well...
And remember WE ARE ANTZ.

As a relatively new non-lurker here, my vote is a micron above non-zero: I wish that we would be a little bit more fun, open, and respectful around here.

It has been a very stressful few weeks personally, and I find this thread to be a place of solace away from the trumped up egos of twitter and semi-chaotic nature of Reddit. I appreciate and accept you all, GB tweet or not. Let's not over moderate each other into an echo chamber.

Cheers everyone.

Last edited:
Thanks for linking this. Having just read it, I believe you can learn all that Mr Buffett has to teach about business from this annual letter alone, rather than reading all of them. The world is changing.

Three of Berkshire's four largest holdings ("the family jewels") are:

1) insurance companies, soon to be disrupted by FSD and Tesla Insurance

2) a railroad (run on and transporting fossil fuel), soon to be disrupted by FSD, Tesla Semi, and electric vehicles

3) an electric utility investing in long-distance transmission, soon to be disrupted by Tesla Energy (local generation and storage, microgrids, virtual power plants)

Berkshire's smaller holdings include several banks (currently being disrupted by the fintech companies in ARKF), telecoms (vulnerable to Starlink?), Chevron and GM (nuff said).

Mr Buffett also tells folksy stories of investing in gas stations, brick-and-mortar retailers, and a candy maker (in a country with soaring obesity and diabetes). He also proudly reports buying back Berkshire shares, rather than investing in new and innovative companies such as Tesla.

Having read less-folksy reports from ARK Invest, I believe Mr Buffett's company is a sitting duck for major industrial disruptions coming soon, although he may not live to see the duck fully cooked.
Given history and my own devotion to value investing I do have opinions on Mr. Buffet. I learned an amazing amount form him...in 1969-1971. Sadly he stuck with investing only in things he understood, an excellent practice with which I strongly agree, but, a crucial BUT, he did not learn about the structural changes happening even back then so he totally missed most of what is most important in the world today. I still read him, but now mostly with sadness because he very articulately lets us know that he did not follow his one advice, so never learned how the world has changed. His good friends mostly are missing the technological implications of the present and future.

I am dismayed that someone I have respected so much failed to continue learning, so has lost his critical thinking. Berkshire Hathaway is no more, I am dismayed to admit. When I near 90 I hope I'll recognize my own declining awareness, in addition to those weaknesses I already possess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quiet day today, thought I'd bring this to your attention:

liftoffberger.jpg

Liftoff

https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1310591955374665729

I’ve worked hard to accurately tell the story of how SpaceX succeeded where so many companies failed. I spent a lot of time with Musk, who was expansive about those early years. But, equally important, dozens of the first SpaceX employees told me their stories.

Liftoff comes to life through the candid narratives of about a dozen of these key employees. Some names are instantly recognizable. There is Gwynne Shotwell, hired in mid-2002, to sell rockets and charge headlong at Musk’s side as they reshaped the launch industry.

Many SpaceX enthusiasts will also recognize Tom Mueller, the company’s first employee and architect of the Merlin engine. Mueller overcame a lot of odds even before he got to SpaceX. Likewise, Hans Koenigsmann is relatively well known today.

But for the first time Chris Thompson, the other member of the SpaceX founding team with Musk and Mueller, spoke publicly. He tells some hilarious stories about Pop-Tarts and pop art. And there is Tim Buzza, the launch director, who kept meticulous notes and shared them.

Then there are unsung heroes whose names are not well known. People like Anne Chinnery, Florence Li, Brian Bjelde and more. And there is Zach Dunn, who saved the company at 25,000 feet in the air, when all seemed lost. There's even a classic goulash recipe ... because reasons.

Writing Liftoff has been the privilege of my professional career. This is an amazing story, all the more remarkable for how far SpaceX has come from such hardscrabble beginnings. I can’t believe I got to tell it.

[QUOTE="TheTalkingMule, post: 5364186, member: 10781"

Those days of simply buying the railroad that MUST transport the coal that everyone MUST use are gone.. Speed of innovation is the new oil, and Warren literally refuses to invest in innovation.[/QUOTE]

Buffett sits at the finish line. He waits until after the race is run to place his bets.

Great video to share...

Wish they would have included the energy required to extract and transport the lithium...and other materials like nickel etc. Could even follow that up with how Tesla is addressing that with the local extraction and battery production in Nevada and how on a long enough timeline it all gets replaced with recycling.

Wish they would have included the energy required to extract and transport the lithium...and other materials like nickel etc. Could even follow that up with how Tesla is addressing that with the local extraction and battery production in Nevada and how on a long enough timeline it all gets replaced with recycling.
That's a rabbit hole. Because then you pretty much have to compare everything that makes up an ice vs an ev, which has hundreds of unique parts with unique energy requirements getting those parts.

Reactions: wtlloyd and Sudre

The energy required to extract and transport the lithium the ONE time in the overall life of the vehicle is minuscule compared to the constant extraction needed for fuel.

My family, friends, and I have prospered, in no short measure to Curt Renz’ advice and advocacy. Curt is one of those rare people that live at the intersection of intellect and common sense.

Welcome back Curt.

Great. And now he has to go buy a whole new set of hats. :)

Das war nur ein witze Kurt. :)

OK, but the video was talking about the fuel usage. You can single-out the lithium transport and ignore the rest of the manufacturing footprint. As I recall, a BEV typically has a 10% overhead compared to a similar ICE, so yes, it's higher, but not much.