Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has there been any discussion as to why Tesla would bother to develop the steering yoke if the steer wheel could soon be obsolete? Is their any indication the yoke is retractable or something? Seems like an unnecessary development cost unless there’s a surprise somewhere.

I would think that so long as Tesla is selling cars to the public they will include a steering wheel. Even if most miles are driven on auto pilot...they make high-performance vehicles and people like myself who want to take my car to the track will need a steering wheel.

I do agree there should be innovations at some point that allow the steering wheel to be stowed into the dashboard for additional space… But unless it’s a vehicle that is purpose built to be a Robo taxi, I think a steering wheel is a must have item.

on a similar note; I’m really excited to someday do a track day with a Tesla that has yoke steering.

Has there been any discussion as to why Tesla would bother to develop the steering yoke if the steer wheel could soon be obsolete? Is their any indication the yoke is retractable or something? Seems like an unnecessary development cost unless there’s a surprise somewhere.

autonomous-cars-need-to-learn-how-to-give-control-back-to-drivers-like-will-smith.png

You never know when you need to take over to avoid an army of killer robots on the highway.

Okay, in response to all of the kind private TMC conversations and posts in this forum, I’m back. Rather than immediately joining a battle and defending Gary Black and my posts of his tweets, I hoped that by leaving, others would take up the mantle. They did.

I suggest that Gary Black’s objectors fully read his tweets of recent days. He has a rather sound understanding of what affects the TSLA share price: https://twitter.com/garyblack00/with_replies

Regarding complaints that Gary is not a TMC member: He has over 60,000 Twitter followers. I only have 204 on Twitter and 60 on TMC.

Of course Gary is a fellow Chicagoan, so I have a little bias there. Meanwhile, I recommend reading his impressive Linked-In résumé: https://www.linkedin.com/public-pro...issionId=95538085-d4c0-6716-6dd1-5f2e0b1dd54b

A shorter version is at the top of his Twitter feed.

And here is my tweeted response to one of Gary's tweets today. Feel free to give my tweet a like, if you like: https://twitter.com/CurtRenz/status/1365808049429045249
There are a lot of members who come and go from this thread on TMC, most of whom are scarcely noticed. When someone like Curt Renz disappears, it leaves a gapping hole in the forum, and changes its collective essence. We've seen that happen several times in the past year or so. And it's most unfortunate. So glad to see you stick with us Curt. I couldn't even try to calculate the value I've received due to the cumulative wisdom and input from the sage contributors to this forum during these years I've been here. Both financially, and as a member of the world community of human beings trying and hoping to make this planet a better place. I am most thankful.

There is going to be a time when there are forces that either require or feel as though a steering mechanism will be there just incase once FSD is level5.
So having one shaped like the yoke (AND WITHOUT STALKS ON THE COLUMN...real big hint there) will make the steering mechanism easily stored into the dash, and easily pulled out to drive.
As fewer people even get a Driver's License fewer will feel the need to have a manual steering mechanism, and fewer will have the ability to be able.

Reactions: Lessmog
https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2020ltr.pdf

For those that haven't yet noticed, Buffett's Annual Letter to Shareholders has been posted. I commend reading this to everybody interested in business or investing, whether you agree with his individual investment choices, or whether you're invested in Bershire or not (I'm not, haven't ever been, and am unlikely to ever be).

Though I haven't made the time to do so, I've got a good case for going back and reading all of the letters to share holders. I think they've got them online back to 1980. I have been reading these annually since somewhere early in the 2000s.

I know that Berkshire has showed up as a point of conversation recently, and there is a fair bit of disdain from many here for Buffett and his stated intent to mostly stay away from tech companies. You'll learn why he's made that choice (and it IS a choice), but again - my suggestion to read these is more for a broad understanding of business.

Oh - and I find his writing style humorous, well crafted, and easy to understand. As a liberal arts major in my first attempt at college, I appreciate everything that is well written.

Thinking about buying a lot more. I haven’t bought since August but it may be time to start accumulating more again.
Any thoughts on a good price to set a buy order at for this week? I wonder how low we go.

Reactions: corduroy
https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2020ltr.pdf

For those that haven't yet noticed, Buffett's Annual Letter to Shareholders has been posted. I commend reading this to everybody interested in business or investing, whether you agree with his individual investment choices, or whether you're invested in Bershire or not (I'm not, haven't ever been, and am unlikely to ever be).

Though I haven't made the time to do so, I've got a good case for going back and reading all of the letters to share holders. I think they've got them online back to 1980. I have been reading these annually since somewhere early in the 2000s.

I know that Berkshire has showed up as a point of conversation recently, and there is a fair bit of disdain from many here for Buffett and his stated intent to mostly stay away from tech companies. You'll learn why he's made that choice (and it IS a choice), but again - my suggestion to read these is more for a broad understanding of business.

Oh - and I find his writing style humorous, well crafted, and easy to understand. As a liberal arts major in my first attempt at college, I appreciate everything that is well written.

Thanks for linking this. Having just read it, I believe you can learn all that Mr Buffett has to teach about business from this annual letter alone, rather than reading all of them. The world is changing.

Three of Berkshire's four largest holdings ("the family jewels") are:

1) insurance companies, soon to be disrupted by FSD and Tesla Insurance

2) a railroad (run on and transporting fossil fuel), soon to be disrupted by FSD, Tesla Semi, and electric vehicles

3) an electric utility investing in long-distance transmission, soon to be disrupted by Tesla Energy (local generation and storage, microgrids, virtual power plants)

Berkshire's smaller holdings include several banks (currently being disrupted by the fintech companies in ARKF), telecoms (vulnerable to Starlink?), Chevron and GM (nuff said).

Mr Buffett also tells folksy stories of investing in gas stations, brick-and-mortar retailers, and a candy maker (in a country with soaring obesity and diabetes). He also proudly reports buying back Berkshire shares, rather than investing in new and innovative companies such as Tesla.

Having read less-folksy reports from ARK Invest, I believe Mr Buffett's company is a sitting duck for major industrial disruptions coming soon, although he may not live to see the duck fully cooked.

Last edited:
Okay, in response to all of the kind private TMC conversations and posts in this forum, I’m back.

Glad you changed your mind! I may not be a big fan of GB but I'm a huge believer in not telling people what to post and what not to post.

Welcome back!

I tried to "like" your tweet as you requested. Unfortunately, a page immediately popped up asking me to enter a bunch of personal information and agree to a big long list of mean, nasty things that I didn't want to agree to (or even read). :(

Forward Observing

Steering wheels have been apart of the automobile since their creation. Fossil fuel has been its fuel since Ford roll the automobile off the assembly line.

Look how long it has taken Tesla to get to this point in time. Change/evolution takes time. For many, half a steering wheel helps loose the training wheels.

Getting over range anxiety takes time to adjust to as well.

A car that hovers, I have been dreaming of that time since I was a child watching cartoons on TV ~ without color.

Change/evolution.:confused::D

I really hope if bitcoin gets close to where Tesla bought it they get out. Tesla buying bitcoin is one thing. And the heat came off when it was apparent they had gotten some pretty decent gains. But bitcoin is down 20% this week. Eth down 30%. If it drops below their purchase price and they haven’t sold the criticism will get intense.

That wouldn't be good if Tesla was criticized for something! :D

As it's already been pointed out, the effect of Bitcoin on Tesla finances would be totally manageable even if it went to zero (which I consider about as likely as winning the lottery).

Since I have basically no other exposure to Bitcoin, I actually welcome the small amount taken on by Tesla. Bitcoin is more volatile than $USD but cash is not without it's risks either.