Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frankly, how?

Even if you charge for 12 hours with your car, that's only 48 miles at a time.
Let's say you drive 75 miles, and you get 250 miles Real World Range (RWR) at 100% SoC. You charge 45 miles overnight.

Monday morning: 250 miles RWR
Monday evening: 175 miles RWR
Tuesday morning: 220 miles RWR
Tuesday evening: 145 miles RWR
Wednesday morning: 190 miles RWR
Wednesday evening: 115 miles RWR
Thursday morning: 160 miles RWR
Thursday evening: 85 miles RWR
Friday morning: 130 miles RWR
Friday evening: 55 miles RWR
Saturday morning: 100 miles RWR
Saturday evening: 25 miles RWR
Sunday morning: 70 miles RWR
Sunday evening (after supercharger): 205 miles RWR
Monday morning 250 miles RWR

Edit: Also, if you drive less than 75 miles/day on weekends and/or spend more time at home, you may be able to avoid the supercharger trip altogether.

I've never understood the charging debate.

I simply plug my Tesla into a standard plug outlet in my garage. I get 18km per hour which overnight is plenty

No need for chargers or anything...

Although yes, the community of residents, or the law of the country or city would have to let electric car owners plug in whenever and wherever they like

Yup, I use a standard outlet and get 5 miles an hour. I've had no hassle with it, and I drive 1300 miles a month.

If it matters, you are spending more in electricity charging at 110V at 12-15 amps. There is overhead and cost of electricity that is required to charge the car no matter what AMP and voltage you are charging at.

My new ride as of today. First Tesla and first new car.

Arrived home with my daughter with the cucaracha horn... :p (against the protests of my wife)

I am very thankful to everyone on this forum who reinforced my conviction to hold through sometimes tumultuous times over the past three or four years.

This purchase represents only a small single digit percentage of my gains, but fear not, no TSLA share has been sold in the making of this acquisition. I took a loan instead, and will buy more shares with the $6500 (USD) EV Provincial incentive check when I get it in a few weeks.

TSLAYQB.jpg

After falling behind early, the home team went on a serious tear to go up by double digits. The lead slowly frittered away, but they got their mojo back and cruised the rest of the way hovering around a double digit lead for most of the game. A late flurry of scoring helped them pull away for an easy win. Hopefully the ending momentum can carry over to tomorrow and start a winning streak. After snapping their 5 game losing streak last week, they have won 3 out their last 5.

Today
Score: 707.94
Margin of W/L: 14.21
Attendance: 27,731,678

Season
Record: 24-25
Total points in wins: 628.32
Total points in losses: -626.05
YTD gain/loss: 2.27 0.32%
Avg points per win: 26.18
Avg points per loss: -25.04
Best W: 110.58 2021-03-09
Worst L: -68.83 2021-01-11
Last 10: 3-7
Streak: W1

My new ride as of today. First Tesla and first new car.

Arrived home with my daughter with the cucaracha horn... :p (against the protests of my wife)

I am very thankful to everyone on this forum who reinforced my conviction to hold through sometimes tumultuous times over the past three or four years.

This purchase represents only a small single digit percentage of my gains, but fear not, no TSLA share has been sold in the making of this acquisition. I took a loan instead, and will buy more shares with the $6500 (USD) EV Provincial incentive check when I get it in a few weeks.

View attachment 644706
Quebec City is beautiful!

Elon: "I’m selling this song about NFTs as an NFT" Not sure what to make of this. I see HODL, I see diamond hands, some dogecoin reference or wolves chasing gold. Guess it's time to learn about NFTs.
Hm ... recursive satire....
Going once, going twice. Sold! For 500 BTC! To the cartonish entity over in the corner with the fluctuating force-field.

Last edited:
Let's say you drive 75 miles, and you get 250 miles Real World Range (RWR) at 100% SoC. You charge 45 miles overnight.

Monday morning: 250 miles RWR
Monday evening: 175 miles RWR
Tuesday morning: 220 miles RWR
Tuesday evening: 145 miles RWR
Wednesday morning: 190 miles RWR
Wednesday evening: 115 miles RWR
Thursday morning: 160 miles RWR
Thursday evening: 85 miles RWR
Friday morning: 130 miles RWR
Friday evening: 55 miles RWR
Saturday morning: 100 miles RWR
Saturday evening: 25 miles RWR
Sunday morning: 70 miles RWR
Sunday evening (after supercharger): 205 miles RWR
Monday morning 250 miles RWR

Edit: Also, if you drive less than 75 miles/day on weekends and/or spend more time at home, you may be able to avoid the supercharger trip altogether.
Thank you! I had wrote out similar math before on a non-Tesla forum but I hadn't expected to need to write it out here =)

FWIW, for the no-supercharger, 50 miles per day scenario, I made the assumption that there would be occasional days where you could charge a little more than 12 hours every few weeks which doesn't seem like an unreasonable assumption.

After falling behind early, the home team went on a serious tear to go up by double digits. The lead slowly frittered away, but they got their mojo back and cruised the rest of the way hovering around a double digit lead for most of the game. A late flurry of scoring helped them pull away for an easy win. Hopefully the ending momentum can carry over to tomorrow and start a winning streak. After snapping their 5 game losing streak last week, they have won 3 out their last 5.
Close two Mondays ago was $718.54. That weeks short smash unwound real quick with last weeks megarun, but we're still net lower as the benchmark hedgies triggered quite a few stop-loss sell orders. Congrats to all those who had the foresight to sell at $585 and stay ahead of the pack!

Ah well....each clear out of paper-handed longs leaves us stronger as a whole if a dozen bucks poorer. Certainly anyone looking to get scared into selling has now sold. Looking forward to stimulus checks trickling into TSLA and we'll be set up nice and tight for 1Q earnings/guidance.

Tesla presented technologies how they improve the cells in the coming years.
In contrast, VW only presented marketing goals, what they are planning to sell with not a word about technology behind.
Sorry, but after DieselGate I do not believe their promises, I'll wait until they deliver.
So far they delivered dysfunctional cars sitting in tents waiting for software to become operable.
View attachment 644608
I suspect the employees that worked for him when he was CEO of an automaker cared.

Now ask yourself why so many P.Eng holders also obtain an M.B.A.

And you're aware that Elon doesn't hold an engineering degree; he has dual undergraduate degrees in physics and economics.

What a headache for poor VW. Just when they've figured out how to copy Tesla's EV designs (except less efficient), Tesla's battery roadmap (except one-tenth the scale), and found a synonym for Battery Day (Power Day)... Tesla pulls this sheisse.

"Mein Gott, do we have to get whimsical? How the hell can our CEO get a popstar girlfriend? What music should he tweet?"

"How on Earth will we make our brand cool, sick (is that the ficken word?), and desirable to all the EV-loving, innovation-admiring, meme-tweeting, ad-despising, media-savy young arschlochs who don't know how a CEO should act? Verdammt! Quick, hire more marketing consultants!"

In the Epic Battle of the Titans for world auto domination, Tesla has -- without warning -- opened a new front in the conflict: the Whimsey War.

Edit: I guess Tesla's whimsey isn't new: fart mode, Spaceballs allusions, and Spinal Tap volume controls have come before. But this SEC filing turns it up to 11.

Re the so so meh reactions to VW Battery/ Power Day and the bashing of VW and Diess - let's not forget - this is a huge plus for "The Mission", and also remembering H. Diess and Elon Musk are *very* good friends. To recall, Elon recently made a surprise stopover early Sep 2020 to meet with Diess and check out their ID3, the good humored presence of Diess at the event in Germany when Elon officially announced Giga Berlin .. all this up to 2018 when in the toughest straits Tesla came under ("M3 Production Hell") Elon started negotiating with Diess a possible takeover of Tesla*.

That VW has to copy the Tesla model as much as they can is a credit to both Tesla's excellence and VW/ Diess wisdom: he has to deal with the cards he's dealt. They are buying into the tech they do not have in house, and took a stake in Northvolt .. also wisely sharing some of the funding with other EU carmakers. That's * A LOT * smarter and more ethical than what Ford / GM are doing (lies and slander, new models without real intention to produce at scale etc). Toyota has the tech to do a Tesla, but they want to preserve some of their advantages, so they're pushing hybrids, which is also smart as it requires fewer batteries.

Also not widely reported is that Northvolt recently acquired Cuberg , which has a possibly more realistic Li Metal battery tech than QuantumScape. Cuberg has the tech, already sells a product, and "only" has to get funding to grow to scale. I would bet if I could (80% chance) that Cuberg will top QS in the end.

Finally, we should welcome VW for taking the right steps in accelerating the EV transition - Tesla can't produce all the ICE replacement cars that will be needed in this transition. Once the EV car /semi production is "mature", my take is that Tesla's engineers will be freed to disrupt other dinosaur industries, most importantly the electric utilities/ grid/ power distribution (besides the TAAS/ Uber etc )

So I'd raise a toast to Diess, he survived a potential demotion, and it seems he's on the winning side now.

As long as there are naysayers (like 90% of the people, both financially astute and the average investor) VW /Diess has to go that way. WAYYYY better than GM Mary Barra's silly endorsement in her not-a-traditional-CEO-black-leather-jacket of uh Nikola (!!! .. pivoting now to hydrogen bah whah wah .. and she's still CEO, NKLA is still above zero /s ). Porsche's showrooms/ salons etc are what their target market wants, and are happy to pay for. So be it. The politicians want to play to the fossil industry's advantage or at least don't dare go directly against them. Well, maybe we do get the politicians we deserve.

(*) I know, this sounds far fetched, I may be mistaken, but I haven't had such dream/ errors so far. Maybe someone has the precise reference. To recall, in 2018 Tesla was really on the brink of disaster, and was saved at the last minute by Jerome Guillen's tent factory innovation, which debottlenecked the production line.