Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My gut feeling, which used to be terrible but is improving, is that we don't go much above 700 until the lead up for earnings, or the release of some major new news (EV tax credit passed, Toyota rumor confirmed, etc).

You might as well not even both thinking about what the stock is going to do. Very apparent that news, material information, etc...is not going to move the stock unless the big boys have positioned themselves how they want. I'm not talking about MM's here. The volume has been very telling this week

Right now, it looks Wall St wants the stock to continue it's downtrend until they're ready to reverse it. Multiple times over the past 3 weeks, TSLA had a chance to get above 720 which would have been a very clear signal the downtrend is over and each time it has failed. If we don't get above 720 by Mon or Tuesday of next week, then based on the charts, we're looking at entering into earnings in the low 600's. Possibly back into the high 500's. Wouldn't have thought was remotely possible a week ago if numbers came in higher than 180k.......but just through looking at the charts and seeing the lack of volume, it seems like what Wall St is intent on.

Twitter folks have mentioned that the manufactured S/X were only missing one part to be completed. I couldn't figure out which part it was missing.
The structural battery pack ;-)

I just don't believe they make a big refresh now and a couple of months later again for plaid+. My guess is that all new S are with front and rear casting, structural pack with new cells and that they aime for 200-300k yearly production.

This is the only justification for the long downtime.

The big problem for me is that it usually means we're going to be flat/dropping before ER, and flat/dropping after ER.

I can barely remember going up after ER short term.

Just wish I had more time on my June 800 calls. I feel like they're going to expire worthless.

It sounds like your definition of "short-term" is any amount of time as long as it's less than a week. 🤔

Right now the only thing that will significantly drive up the share price is great news on the FSD front. Great earnings won't do it and neither will tax credit news. Great earnings is already expected, we had terrific delivery results so everyone expects earnings will go hand in hand. Tax Credit will give a small bounce but then maybe even a sell off due to Osbourn fears, which will be justified.

The underlying pressure though, is people are selling long-term shares to buy houses, remodel, retire, etc. It'll take FSD to overcome that.

The big problem for me is that it usually means we're going to be flat/dropping before ER, and flat/dropping after ER.

I can barely remember going up after ER short term.

Just wish I had more time on my June 800 calls. I feel like they're going to expire worthless.

I think you'll be fine on that June 800 Call. I have a 900 July Call that I'm not really worried about at all right now. When the market decides it's time for this to run, it's going to rally hard. Could be as soon as next week or could be after Q1 earnings. It's whenever the big boys decide they've positioned themselves properly for a run up.

I do feel very confident that there's no way they would try and keep this negative sentiment up until the EV infrastructure bill is passed. I think they'll want to front run that secular trend.....and it will be a major, multi year secular trend.......by a month or two. Democrat's has stated they want it signed by July. There shouldn't be any issues getting it passed because Democrat's just found out they can use reconciliation multiple times this year so Republican's really can't do anything to block it at this point. So I think Wall St will start front running that by 1-2 months.....so I'm looking for a major breakout around May, early June at the latest.

Last edited:
Right now the only thing that will significantly drive up the share price is great news on the FSD front. Great earnings won't do it and neither will tax credit news. Great earnings is already expected, we had terrific delivery results so everyone expects earnings will go hand in hand. Tax Credit will give a small bounce but then maybe even a sell off due to Osbourn fears, which will be justified.

The underlying pressure though, is people are selling long-term shares to buy houses, remodel, retire, etc. It'll take FSD to overcome that.
Tesla has a bunch pending currently that should have been out by now and it seems does depend more on 4680's. It's yet another one of times where there is so much pent up anticipated awesomeness and it could happen any minute. Here's to hoping it happens sooner rather than later!

Very much disagree with this post for a couple reasons

Retail traders do not make an impact on a stocks movement. I continue to see this narrative pushed (and it's pushed by Wall St media for their own purposes) while it's factually false. The buying power of the collective retail trade is nowhere near enough to counter Wall St. So it doesn't matter what individuals are doing with the houses, retirement, spending, etc....

Margin expansion on Q1 earnings with very little S/X deliveries would be a major catalyst for future EPS estimates which move a stock more than actual delivery numbers. Great earnings (and great Q1 P/D) were absolutely not expected. You're confusing the stock action with "Oh Wall St already expected this" but in reality it's "Wall St didn't expect this and isn't positioned how they want".

Lastly, the EV infrastructure bill will be a multi year secular trend. I'd suggest you look at the history of secular trends. It will be a major catalyst in a variety of ways. The market will be expecting Tesla to raise the price of their vehicles by at least 2-3k (which I do think they will do, 3k max) which will go straight to margins/profits which in term does tremendous things for Tesla's earnings and P/E.

I think you'll be fine on that June 800 Call. I have a 900 July Call that I'm not really worried about at all right now. When the market decides it's time for this to run, it's going to rally hard. Could be as soon as next week or could be after Q1 earnings. It's whenever the big boys decide they've positioned themselves properly for a run up.

I do feel very confident that there's no way they would try and keep this negative sentiment up until the EV infrastructure bill is passed. I think they'll want to front run that secular trend.....and it will be a major, multi year secular trend.......by a month or two. Democrat's has stated they want it signed by July. There should be any issues getting it passed because Democrat's just found out they can use reconciliation multiple times this year so Republican's really can't do anything to block it at this point. So I think Wall St will start front running that by 1-2 months.....so I'm looking for a major breakout around May, early June at the latest.
I agree with all the comments about 'big boys' driving SP performance. I also agree with you they will want to front run the EV infrastructure bill. But I am skeptical that it will be done by July. I think it's going to be a much heavier lift and we won't be close to a done deal by then. Hope I'm wrong.

But there are other positive catalysts that could push the big boys to start accumulating also. I'm more hopeful about those than about the timing of any EV infrastructure bill.

Lastly, the EV infrastructure bill will be a multi year secular trend. I'd suggest you look at the history of secular trends. It will be a major catalyst in a variety of ways. The market will be expecting Tesla to raise the price of their vehicles by at least 2-3k (which I do think they will do, 3k max) which will go straight to margins/profits which in term does tremendous things for Tesla's earnings and P/E.
Tesla already sells every car it makes so the only real impact in the short term will be, as you point out, increase in sell price.

I agree with all the comments about 'big boys' driving SP performance. I also agree with you they will want to front run the EV infrastructure bill. But I am skeptical that it will be done by July. I think it's going to be a much heavier lift and we won't be close to a done deal by then. Hope I'm wrong.

But there are other positive catalysts that could push the big boys to start accumulating also. I'm more hopeful about those than about the timing of any EV infrastructure bill.

I see pretty smooth sailing on the EV infrastructure bill. Republicans can't do anything to stop or slow it down and there's only 1-2 Democrats in the Senate that could stall it.....and I think the pressure on them will be too heavy for them to make much noise.

Tesla already sells every car it makes so the only real impact in the short term will be, as you point out, increase in sell price.
Exactly.....the EV infrastructure bill is really going straight to Tesla. Tesla is the only one with production capacity now and only one that will be expanding rapidly for the next 2-3 years. So it pretty much guarantees demand while letting Tesla increase their prices by 2-3k, which will easily help them demolish EPS estimates for the next 2-3 years. Meanwhile, the EV infrastructure plan won't even help other auto makers that much for the first 2-3 years because they aren't invested today in the necessary production expansion.