Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1626143698671.png

I got a friend that has expressed an interest in tesla shares but lack knowladge of the company..

Can anyone provide 3 good links for the case for buying tesla?

This is a long read but lots of good info and many embedded youtube videos. Written in Dec 2019 but should still be very relevant today.
Frank, the author, is a TMC member ( @FrankSG ) but has taken time off for his MBA.

I got a friend that has expressed an interest in tesla shares but lack knowladge of the company..

Can anyone provide 3 good links for the case for buying tesla?

Is he looking for like:

Send me links with technical/math info I can read in a short amount of time?

if so:

For one- You could prob do worse than some of James Stephensons twitter stuff- thinking of his charge of Tesla analysts stock price target vs their Star rating on tipranks- one example here though I think he has a newer one-

Or his megathread about projected financials for coming year... (that said, his predictions from last year turned out... overly optimistic... his current year ones seem to have been dialed a lot nearer reality and seem to come in just above what The Accountant is predicting)

Speaking of him, his posts on projected financials for 2021 would be another great choice.

With the FrankSG link he kindly provided being my third suggestion.

Is he looking for:

Lots of long-form videos of folks explaining things? If so Chunky Jrs got some pretty good stuff there.

You are not factually incorrect, that there is still work to be done. And that will be true for the next 20 years. There will be a scenario that it will find difficult and disengage. This is the difference between someone who is perennially unsatisfied with anything, a Debbie downer who fails to see progress - and - someone who with a positive outlooks that says, 'hey this can drive me around in 50% of my routes and the rest I will drive (for now)'.

5 months ago there was NO car anywhere in the world that customers can buy that will drive itself and take right and left turns, go around roundabouts, go around double parked cars, get into the parking lot and stop in front of the destination. Today we have one that does that for most straightforward situations but struggles in many road conditions that are congested, poor visibility (for turns), confusing lane markers, incorrect map data etc.. Sure but if it works for 50% of my trips with the hope that the other 50% will gradually work over next several months and years) - that is a HUGE plus. For those in NYC and downtown SF, that is probably only 30% of the routes that work. For those in Dallas, San Antonio, Phoenix and many many other sprawling cities and suburbs that ratio is much higher. Maybe as high as 70%.

Anyone that can't see this as a great progress that is useful for many people in many situations today, need to get a reality check.

I have seen this same whining when AP was first introduced. Oh, it can't do this, it can't do that. But AP even in its first iteration was a great life saver on long slow highway commutes. It was God send for people like me who sat on traffic one hour each way, everyday.
You bring up valid perspective. And I don’t know how quickly FSD will iterate and improve. The issue I was trying to highlight is I witnessed a very elevated requirement for the beta testers to be vigilant as some wrestled the wheel away from a dangerous situation. This happened at some point in a fairly high percentage of videos that I watched. Very different vs what I think about with AP… For the last 2 to 3 years, AP (which is also “beta”) has been almost bulletproof in stop and go traffic. The only thing I personally feel like I have to monitor when my car drives in stop and go traffic is for road debris. Otherwise it’s amazingly reliable and when I get too complacent and put too much confidence in it, the worst case appears to be hitting a tire or something- it’s quite safe in its current form. I thoroughly enjoy AP on most of my drives. From what I saw, the high level of vigilance required explains why it’s “limited beta” status. I don’t believe FSD belongs in the wide release domain just yet. That’s really what I’m saying. Maybe because I saw limited videos of 8.2 or maybe Elon’s “blow your mind” or “the button” tweets oversold me, but I personally thought it was further along. I did recognize that the AI team has made significant accomplishments and I certainly don’t want to under appreciate their impressive progress.

Reactions: Thumper
How many friends/family have you guys successfully convinced to buy a significant amount of TSLA before the run up?(cost basis 65 dollars or less)? My track record is zero. I have successfully convinced my friends to put 5 figures into AMD, MTCH and Fiverr no problem. Not one person went for TSLA. Getting them to buy a share or two doesn't count. Like truly convinced.

How many friends/family have you guys successfully convinced to buy a significant amount of TSLA before the run up?(cost basis 65 dollars or less)? My track record is zero. I have successfully convinced my friends to put 5 figures into AMD, MTCH and Fiverr no problem. Not one person went for TSLA. Getting them to buy a share or two doesn't count. Like truly convinced.

No one cops out to it anymore once 2019 happened, but I'd say practically at least 20+ people. I have informed 100's since 2012.

I convinced my brother, my best friend (since childhood), my brother-in-law and my wife's cousin to get in TSLA when the stock was at $80 or lower - right before the run-up........and often had to convince them to HODL along the way. Two of them made 6 figure initial investments. Let's just say I no longer pick up the tab when we go to dinner.

Edit: They often ask, "what other investment opportunities do you recommend?" My response: "None - just Tesla".
Edit 2 - They also ask me what gave me such conviction about Telsa? My response, "TMC" - that's the truth - thank you all !

Last edited:
I got the two people I used to admire the most when it concerns the stock market to invest in TSLA. And it was not easy.
A very close friend who actually i used to buy what he said I should, and my Step Father who has his Doctorate from Duquesne University in Finance.
Both are millionaires. I am not. Both became Millionaires through investing the old way. I am not. Both have made wiser moves than I regarding TSLA.

ZERO
But got ridiculed by at least 20
;)

July 26
July 23 premiums will crash tomorrow - good for those of us that sold options anticipating the ER the week of July 26!

The only one that listened was one of my cousins. Everyone else just nodded and did nothing.

My cousin is planning his retirement in the Florida Keys.