Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow! That was incredible! Specifically the fact that you completed your entire production increase/profit increase analysis through the entire period without once mentioning "chip shortages" or "price of chips", meanwhile large OEM's are allegedly shutting entire factories due to a claimed inability to source enough chips to keep the factories open! Even considering that Tesla used their lead in software to increase their chip options, I do think the industry news points to more going on with ICE production and sales than can be explained by chip shortages! Especially so if Tesla performs as well as you expect.

🙄 Yup it's all made up. That's why Elon Musk spent half of the Q2 call talking about these industry wide challenges and sent an email yesterday noting their impact. Not sure why you are so dug in on this issue. It's extremely obvious there are supply chain challenges. Tesla's planning, which originally would've included production for Berlin and Austin by now, and adaptability are the reason they are able to continue growing -- not because the shortages are made up (not your words, I am aware, but that's the implication).

Here's the part of the email I referenced.

"The end of quarter delivery wave is unusually high this time, as we suffered (like the whole industry) from extremely severe parts shortages earlier this quarter." - Elon Musk email, September 8

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
I don't see how we end below 700 next week. Too much good news out this week, and major FSD update tomorrow night. Wall Street will be shocked by Q3 earnings, but surely they can do enough math at this point to figure out it is going to be good. Any selling to the 700 level should be bought up. I have covered calls for 820 strike on 9/24 that I think have a 50/50 chance of needing to be rolled out.
I honestly don't either, but that call wall is so high and did you notice the growing wall of puts at $700 as well?

I suffered for the people in the Mach E who had the bad luck to try to charge to 5 broken Electrify America chargers.

The access to supercharger is really what makes Teslas more valuable. It is the extra edge that not other car manufacturer has right now.

It's a coin flip with 3rd party ev chargers if they work or not which is really embarrassing for EVs. The 1 out of 10000 SC that doesn't work when it's opened up is going to be eaten up by the media.

I'd expect extra FUD coming into next week to hold the stock down under $700 as there is a massive call wall for triple witching 9/17
Some general comments about max pain / and put/call walls (using @Discoducky comment as a jumping off point)

The 700 call wall is around 45k contracts. That sounds like a lot but that's also lower than the 2 big put walls this week; my only point being that 45k is big, but that's in a triple witching week - this contract has been open for 2 years accumulating open interest. The 9/10 expiration has been open for 8 weeks, with almost all of its open interest acccumulated this week.

So the call and put walls are certainly important, but there will be significant moves in max pain (690 right now) and new walls building next week that are bigger than anything currently open.

That being said weekly contracts never enter the week with 45k open interest - even 10k at a single strike seems pretty big, so starting the week with that much of a head start is definitely noteworthy.

Another way of looking at the size of the MM motivation to get to max pain (this is the easy one - motivation at the walls is more difficult) is to see what the payouts are at different strikes. Max pain next week currently pays out $2.6B. At today's 755 share price, payout rises to 3.4B.

As one comparison, max pain this week is 735 (right now) with payout of .18B (175M). At 755 (current share price) the payout rises to .23B (233M).

These details about the difference in the levels of pain are there on the same page with the charts - scroll down to the second table. It's an easy way to see how broad and shallow the payouts are around max pain; max pain itself is more like a cloud around that headline number.

In fact using the table it's easy to find out what the lower and upper bounds are when shares land within 10% of max pain. For 9/17 that's 630 up to 720. I chose the 10% arbitrarily - the point is that there's a pretty big window that is in the vicinity of max pain where the motivation to move the shares falls.

Just a heads up - this report alleging that Tesla has a "culture of racism & discrimination" is gaining some traction on social media:

I'm relistening now. In addition to the pop in audio mentioned earlier, at time 1:28 (first use of "Tesla") it's a different mic/recording - listen to the tone change.
IMHO, the voice of "Tesla" was Dubbed in. Either a computer generated word or they found this guy and paid him to say a few extra sentences then sealed it.

Who knows, but it's a sign of the battle just ahead.

haha? really..OK then while we play the game...
Not if all the cars made in Berlin will leave the Gigafactory individually using FSD through various Boring tunnels.
I have often thought about how much this would save when watching the workers drive the cars to the lots and get in a shuttle back to the factory. When FSD is capable, first they will be able FSD them to the lot freeing up those workers for other tasks. Then next step would be the cars driving themselves to the stores or even to customers homes.

I saw a Dutch guy reporting on FB that he just got his Model Y, just a week after ordering.
It looks like Tesla is building some inventory in Europe now that Tesla China produces the cars.
Maybe that’s why Elon says this will be the worst end of quarter rush Tesla will ever have. Finally a more flattened delivery curve.
Negative. If you follow the shipping threads, you can see that Tesla (China) currently builds and exports large numbers of cars, many (but not all) before they are ordered. When somebody orders one that has been built to that spec (options, color etc.), a VIN assignment is made. Frequently this is when the car is under way on a RORO ship. Clearly, many of the cars are made based on predictive modelling before they are ordered.

The other side of that is if a car is made that has some unpopular feature, it might make it all the way to Zeebrugge before somebody orders one. Or somebody ordered one, received a VIN assignment and for some reason the deal went south. Somebody else ordering that trim, color etc. will get reassigned that VIN and receive delivery in a short time period.

Zeebrugge Belgium is the main arrival point and delivery hub for EU, UK and other areas. It seems that most or all cars from China are unloaded en mass at Zeebrugge before loading another vessel (or train or truck) and shipping to the next distribution center. An overseas car delivered in a short time after ordering is a car that had a broken contract during transport or unpopular trim.

This strategy has changed over time and subject to change. A year ago, exports were routed from the Fremont factory via San Francisco dock 80 and Elon said that they would not export cars from Shanghai. Now almost all Fremont cars are for the US/Canada market and all exports are from China. There are also differences in the Model 3/Y experience vs S/X. The experience next year or next week might have a different strategy.

I have often thought about how much this would save when watching the workers drive the cars to the lots and get in a shuttle back to the factory. When FSD is capable, first they will be able FSD them to the lot freeing up those workers for other tasks. Then next step would be the cars driving themselves to the stores or even to customers homes.
Along these lines, as Giga Texas is almost a mile long, I was pondering just yesterday about how it might use an internal transit system just to take employees from entrances to their work area, and to the lunchroom and back. (Well, that, or they release the Star Trek Transporter project they've been sandbagging out of view)

Probably more of a job for customized skateboards than Tesla models, but it could become a viable device (product even?) if something like this increases productivity at a large facility.

Last edited:
Based on the price action since this afternoon's sudden drop, it sure feels like our whale had a standing buy order at 750. This "buy wall" held until the final 15 sec of the day, then shortzes jumped in to give away free money... :p

Cheers!

In spite of "last-minute" shenanigans, today saw the highest volume-weighted average price (VWAP) for TSLA since January 6, 2021 (this MATTERS).

TSLA.VWAP.2021-09-09.png

Ring a (dinner) bell, anyone? :D

Cheers!