Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BA trucks and SUVs are what people already are buying.

This encourages them to get electric ones instead (and encourages more car makers to offer more electrified ones too since they can charge more for them and still qualify)

Someone who wants an Escalade isn't gonna buy a sedan instead just to save a few grand on a credit.
Yes, obviously.
But why shouldn't someone getting an electric Maybach or Model S get the same credit? It's for the environment & for the economy!

I know the bill is about more than just environmental protection, but it should be half credit fixed and the other half as -x$ for every digit below 150MPGe. And a common max car price.

Likewise the union provision should just spell out the 'living wage' & 'social benefits' requirements provided by the union and let everyone exceeding those benefit.

But then that would be logical, not political...

Screen Shot 2021-11-06 at 12.19.48 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: Christine69420
Moderates got the piece they wanted, and progressives lost their leverage with BIF passing.

I now doubt the Build Back Better bill will pass without major cuts.
Given current ev production constraints, the EV rebate will just cause higher prices. If Tesla gets the additional 4.5k union rebate, you can count on the prices going up even more. I am not sure it is worth it as a consumer.

Here is a link to the updated article on the BBB bill 401k and Roth proposals @UncaNed along with an example from the article describing how this would effect the accounts of anyone with an earned income over $400k single/$450k married if you don't want to click on the article. If this is implemented, the plan kicks in on Dec 31, 2028. Tesla growing 50% YOY through the end of 2028 (7 years) might make TMC Long HODLers take a 2nd look at what the combined value of their 401k & Roth TSLA might be worth 7 years from now. But I guess one could always hurry up and get older than 59 1/2 years old before Dec 31, 2028 to make qualifying withdrawls from their Roth so it doesn't count as earned income.............? (/s)

View attachment 729843

I don't think IRA withdrawals are considered earned income.
Roth IRA withdrawals are not considered any type of income, and would not be under this bill.

I'm fine with it. Force car manufactures to stick to basics vs adding in gimmicks which add complexity and cost. This 55k limit pretty much banned all cars from luxury branded EVs and including high end Mach-Es. Tesla actually benefits the most because it widens the gap between a LR 3/Y vs the rest. Must suck to not get to economy of scale for the others.
If it happens at all:
It is nearly a sure thing that the largest single benefits will accrue to Ford. Why?
2022 F-150 Hybrid base prices start at $41,845 and goes to $78,780.
How likely is it that any other manufacturer could accrue more benefits?
Most of us think about BEVs. Hybrids will take the largest benefits, partly because the largest selling ones are union built in the USA.
Unless something happens to make a distinction between Hybrid and BEV. That seems unlikely because the traditional Big Three can reap a fortune by building Hybrid Suburbans, F-150s, Rams etc. If it only rewards BEVs how will the traditional UAW, GM, Ford and the company that was once Chrysler Corporation, and their suppliers. Not so much if we want to convert to zero emissions.

There are too many oxen to be gored so chances are all this dies. if it survives it will only be because it bails out Motor City once again.

Pretty much a golden opportunity for Elon to release significant funds that he can pour into his other endeavors without looking like he has lost confidence in Tesla or Tesla Stock price.

I love Elon and all, but this is going to tank the stock. All to appease the woke. Sigh.
I think kiwi has a better take on it.