Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm dying to hear the numbers and praying for a beat that will cause another price surge. Because:
  1. I'm sitting on margin, which I took for the purpose of paying for a car coming in March. I want to pay off the margin and pay the closing costs, and I'm greedy so I want as many shares left over as possible.
  2. I've hit retirement numbers and a little cushion would really help me pull the trigger on that.
I'm with you.

But as someone else pointed out. We will get the numbers before the call. I'm sure there will be some tidbits about 2021 not obvious from the ER but overall we will have all that info before the call. So it would be so much more interesting and valuable to hear as much as possible regarding 2022 instead.

I need to get some cash this spring too and with again no income because of covid shutdowns the sooner SP goes up the better.

Reactions: Richard007
I'm dying to hear the numbers and praying for a beat that will cause another price surge. Because:
  1. I'm sitting on margin, which I took for the purpose of paying for a car coming in March. I want to pay off the margin and pay the closing costs, and I'm greedy so I want as many shares left over as possible.
  2. I've hit retirement numbers and a little cushion would really help me pull the trigger on that.
Seems like you paid your ticket to get onboard the Buy the rumor train.
Don’t forget your stop at Sell the News station!

Anyone have any global market share data for EVs and tesla per year?

Looks like Tesla is around 23-24% for 2021?

Just under 1mil vs ~4mil global?

Global EV sales will top 6 million for 2021, so Tesla’s market share is holding steady at about 17%.

EV sales are tracked by EV Volumes
and Inside EVs just covered their November global EV sales data. It’s spectacular. ..

Over 721,000 plug-in EVs sold, +72% growth YOY.

Tesla Model 3 and Model Y were ranked 1st and 3rd in November EV sales worldwide.

1. Tesla Model 3 - 38,616 and 416,460 YTD
  2. Wuling's Hong Guang MINI EV - 40,395 and 368,396 YTD
  3. Tesla Model Y - 44,738 and 326,317 YTD
  4. Volkswagen ID.4 - 14,330 and 102,474 YTD
  5. BYD Qin Plus PHEV - 18,054 and 94,267 YTD
  6. BYD Han EV - 10,026 and 76,594 YTD
  7. Li Xiang One EREV - 13,485 and 76,404 YTD
  8. Volkswagen ID.3 - 7,619 and 67,739 YTD
  9. Changan Benni EV - about 6,500 and 66,050 YTD
  10. GAC Aion S - 7,884 and 64,779 YTD
Global EV brand sales ranking headed by Tesla, naturally. EV leader GM is oddly missing from this list 🤔

1. Tesla - 88,131 and 764,950 YTD
  2. BYD - 90,691 and 500,585 YTD
  3. SAIC-GM-Wuling - 45,452 and 394,814 YTD
  4. Volkswagen - 40,987 and 319,735 YTD
  5. BMW - 24,696 and 245,299 YTD
  6. SAIC - 23,737 and 207,354 YTD
  7. Mercedes-Benz - 23,556 and 202,630 YTD
  8. Volvo - 20,139 and 170,359 YTD
  9. Audi - 15,219 and 153,219 YTD
  10. Kia - 17,628 and 142,416 YTD

Global EV sales will top 6 million for 2021, so Tesla’s market share is holding steady at about 17%.

EV sales are tracked by EV Volumes
and Inside EVs just covered their November global EV sales data. It’s spectacular. ..

"It's expected that in 2021, plug-in car sales will exceed 6 million. It might even get close to 6.5 million."

Thats plug in sales, including PHEVs, I am talking BEVs only.

I am not sure we should be counting small battery phev's along side bevs any more given the overwhelming proof they are not much better for the environment .

We have discussed the macro economy and how it may affect Tesla’s share price. I have always viewed Tesla as an anomaly, a black swan that will disrupt nearly every aspect of the world economy. If Tesla is indeed the 800 pound gorilla in the room, might Tesla’s Q4 earnings be the seminal event that begins a new world economy?

If I'd been less a "fraidy-cat" with margin a few years ago, I'd have a 9-figure account instead of an 8-figure account, ...
History teaches us that there are many who are bold with margin. Chances are that had you been one of them, you would likely now be broke and mumbling in your beer about how you coulda been a contenda.

This was pointed out to me over at the Reddit investors sub, but this is an interesting potential idea.

Put $1M (or however much you want) of QYLD on your margin. Call your broker and tell them you want 1-2% margin borrowing rate. If they say yes, you just live off the difference between QYLD's dividend (typically 8-10%) and your 1-2% margin borrowing rate.

This seems like a pretty amazing completely hands-off Full Self Driving retirement income strategy. Obviously you could make more actively selling options against your TSLA but if you just want money to appear every month without you doing anything, leveraging QYLD against your portfolio on margin seems absolutely braindead easy.

This was pointed out to me over at the Reddit investors sub, but this is an interesting potential idea.

Put $1M (or however much you want) of QYLD on your margin. Call your broker and tell them you want 1-2% margin borrowing rate. If they say yes, you just live off the difference between QYLD's dividend (typically 8-10%) and your 1-2% margin borrowing rate.

This seems like a pretty amazing completely hands-off Full Self Driving retirement income strategy. Obviously you could make more actively selling options against your TSLA but if you just want money to appear every month without you doing anything, leveraging QYLD against your portfolio on margin seems absolutely braindead easy.
IBKR says QYLD/XYLD are not available for retail clients.
Maybe it's because I'm in europe?

High tech. Old Italian style.

Anyone have any global market share data for EVs and tesla per year?

Looks like Tesla is around 23-24% for 2021?

Just under 1mil vs ~4mil global?
There's not really an "EV" market, at least not one that's meaningful in the way people generally use market share percentages. EV's are a subset of automobiles, and they all serve the same purpose. That means people in the market for a new car can buy either (the markets are not seperate). Don't let the media reporting on "EV market share" confuse you into thinking it's relevant. Tesla's market share should be stated as a percentage of all light vehicles.

Need to keep an eye on the China Omicron situation. VW factories there are getting hammered.

Last edited:
Really good update from Austin by Joe Tegtmeyer

Assembling the fourth casting machine, it looks like they can fit another 8 in after that. Each pair of stamping machines have capacity for 250,000 vehicles, so total capacity would be 1.75 million.

Also adding a new stamping machine and building the foundations for another one.

It looks like there are at least 3 lines of cell production installed

Three Model Y in final assembly (or perhaps complete after assembly).

More installation occuring all over the building.

Last edited:
Really good update from Austin by Joe Tegtmeyer

Assembling the fourth casting machine, it looks like they can fit another 8 in after that. Each pair of stamping machines have capacity for 250,000 vehicles, so total capacity would be 2.5 million.

Also adding a new stamping machine and building the foundations for another one.

It looks like there are at least 3 lines of cell production installed

Three Model Y in final assembly (or perhaps complete after assembly).

More installation occuring all over the building.
Tesla have enough cash to say to IDRA/Chinese parent company - "We'll take all your Gigapresses and make even bigger ones"

It doesn't matter too much if they have over-capacity, what Tesla should avoid is any bottleneck, each Gigapress must be way cheaper than hundreds of robots, and much more space efficient, as well as helping with accuracies and other facets. Just take them all for a while.