Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope I never buy another gas powered vehicle but if I was you, I'd buy a cheap old truck to use for a couple years until the CT comes.
You can buy my pickup truck that I'm using while I wait for my cyber truck the straps hold the gas tank in place

Attachments

• IMG_20220106_094731.jpg
    IMG_20220106_094731.jpg
    771.7 KB · Views: 115
Is the 50% solar panels taxes from California going to affect Tesla financials significantly or their Solar sales is a drop in a bucket at this point?
Tesla doesn't make any money off solar panels, so impact should be zero.

Generally speaking, Tesla shifts pricing by state based on a combination of state rebates/policy and relative demand. Any cost added to the top lines in CA will likely just be added to the pricetag per Watt in CA.

In principle I agree. Probably for all three of those some form of CKD would work with local sourcing as appropriate. For all three there are substantial tax and other oddities that can make local production outweigh the impediments. For certain Japan would benefit from a narrower and shorter choice than might be the case for most markets, but vehicles with that character are very popular in dense urban environments anyway, so the 'designed in China' platform certainly will work.

FWIW, both Hyundai and Chery have unusual success in Mercosur because they are built in Brazil by a very capable group, CAOA.
The Japan and UK situations are two quite different issues, but both are well suited to predominately local solutions. We also should consider India in the same category as the others.

The Tesla Gigafactory process is unique, highly scalable and benefits from massive scale when considering such issues as cell and battery production, Gigapress deployment and advanced paint shops. We are suggesting a very different approach for substantial but limited scale for which duties, a soupçon of jingoism, actual tariff barriers etc call for specific solutions.

For each of these TE products, Supercharger deployment and provision for charging solutions in Muti-family dwellings and shopping facilities need to supplement the Superchargers. The UK is the easiest of these locations to accomplish all that. Probably Japan will be the most difficult.

The fact remains that for locations other than China and Canada there are some unusual impediments that must be considered.

Finally, The US remains a very challenging market. I will not list the direct sales and service restrictions by State, those are well discussed. The primary impediment is the members of this:
We now know that will not solve easily. Thus we need to add the US to the list of unusual and difficult markets. Seven of the top ten States restrict direct sales in some way and service is also restricted in several. We should think of how to work around those because they aggregate to more sales that Japan has, with Mercosur and the UK well below that.

Without question Tesla is now sufficiently large that the large US sale States, [especially Texas (#2), NY (#4) and influential slightly smaller volume s Sates such as Michigan, North Carolina and Georgia] are critical to ongoing US growth. Hence creative NADA dealer solutions are probably essential. We Amy be assured that no political will successfully defeat the NADA.

Within the next two years all of these places are crucial to keep growing healthy Auto and TE products.
Tesla is going mainstream now, just look at all the forecasts from our own best people. I will not list them all...
In principle I agree. Probably for all three of those some form of CKD would work with local sourcing as appropriate. For all three there are substantial tax and other oddities that can make local production outweigh the impediments. For certain Japan would benefit from a narrower and shorter choice than might be the case for most markets, but vehicles with that character are very popular in dense urban environments anyway, so the 'designed in China' platform certainly will work.
FWIW, both Hyundai and Chery have unusual success in Mercosur because they are built in Brazil by a very capable group, CAOA.
The Japan and UK situations are two quite different issues, but both are well suited to predominately local solutions. We also should consider India in the same category as the others.

The Tesla Gigafactory process is unique, highly scalable and benefits from massive scale when considering such issues as cell and battery production, Gigapress deployment and advanced paint shops. We are suggesting a very different approach for substantial but limited scale for which duties, a soupçon of jingoism, actual tariff barriers etc call for specific solutions.

For each of these TE products, Supercharger deployment and provision for charging solutions in Muti-family dwellings and shopping facilities need to supplement the Superchargers. The UK is the easiest of these locations to accomplish all that. Probably Japan will be the most difficult.

The fact remains that for locations other than China and Canada there are some unusual impediments that must be considered.

Finally, The US remains a very challenging market. I will not list the direct sales and service restrictions by State, those are well discussed. The primary impediment is the members of this:
We now know that will not solve easily. Thus we need to add the US to the list of unusual and difficult markets. Seven of the top ten States restrict direct sales in some way and service is also restricted in several. We should think of how to work around those because they aggregate to more sales that Japan has, with Mercosur and the UK well below that.

Without question Tesla is now sufficiently large that the large US sale States, [especially Texas (#2), NY (#4) and influential slightly smaller volume s Sates such as Michigan, North Carolina and Georgia] are critical to ongoing US growth. Hence creative NADA dealer solutions are probably essential. We Amy be assured that no political will successfully defeat the NADA.

Within the next two years all of these places are crucial to keep growing healthy Auto and TE products.
Tesla is going mainstream now, just look at all the forecasts from our own best people. I will not list them all...
You know I love your analysis and history but on this question of challenging vs non challenging situations I disagree. The state sales issues really don't matter, much to do about nothing in terms of slowing tesla sales. They aren't changing so Tesla and all others will model around them. The retailers also act as the service arm of the OEMs, they can't just die away or the OEMS have not effective means of service. Airbnb built a fairly successful business despite being in violation of law/rules in virtually every profitable jurisdiction in which they operated and I would assume they are the most valuable hospitality entity in the USA. Tesla will not find the retail laws a hinderance. The laws are such a constraint to trade that I don't see how they survive a real legal challenge.

China...we have different views. The min Tesla and GM bring a huge bag of cash out of China you let me know. Until then I'd chalk China up as uniquely difficult. It works today because they take the "profits" and purchase other manufactured products they export out. All fun and good but if you can't take cash out to me those aren't "profits". Further, if I had influence I'd prohibit booking "profits" that are constrained by national borders, this would not be a popular view with either Tesla or GM.

China...we have different views. The min Tesla and GM bring a huge bag of cash out of China you let me know. Until then I'd chalk China up as uniquely difficult. It works today because they take the "profits" and purchase other manufactured products they export out. All fun and good but if you can't take cash out to me those aren't "profits". Further, if I had influence I'd prohibit booking "profits" that are constrained by national borders, this would not be a popular view with either Tesla or GM.
Can they use the local RMB to build the cars then export the cars to Europe and get EUR there? Is this not equivalent to getting cash out of China?

Need to keep an eye on the China Omicron situation. VW factories there are getting hammered.

Why must we keep an eye on the China Omicron situation? No. Seriously. Why?

I’m interested in your logic here and how you arrived at it being a situation that affects Tesla or TSLA as an *investment*. Because all I see is a possibility for a short shutdown until enough employees, presumably all vaccinated, recover and return to work. In no way does that change anything from an investment standpoint anymore than the shutdown that happened last time or happens during holidays.

Tesla have enough cash to say to IDRA/Chinese parent company - "We'll take all your Gigapresses and make even bigger ones"

It doesn't matter too much if they have over-capacity, what Tesla should avoid is any bottleneck, each Gigapress must be way cheaper than hundreds of robots, and much more space efficient, as well as helping with accuracies and other facets. Just take them all for a while.
They appear to be doing that already, almost. Perhaps one or two to one of the Chinese OEMs.

Today could be very exciting as we closed well above support at $1080 and scaled the $1100 call wall.

With macro support nothing is holding us back from running to $1200.

We just have the $1200 call wall to climb.
Max pain is $1075 as of today and NASDAQ is going for 4 up days in a row. To me that smells like a $1099 close tomorrow as QQQ drops a bit. I think it's worth the outlay for MM's.

I've heard other critics state the CT will never see production and that Elon has swindled everyone about it as well. Matt Farah from Smoking Tire is one of them, he also believes FSD is a scam and will never happen either.

I don't get it. Tesla and Elon have a history of telling the truth and doing what they say they will do, at this point how can anyone who is paying attention discount Tesla's public plans? Doesn't make sense to me from an observational point of view. 🤔

I've heard other critics state the CT will never see production and that Elon has swindled everyone about it as well. Matt Farah from Smoking Tire is one of them, he also believes FSD is a scam and will never happen either.

I don't get it. Tesla and Elon have a history of telling the truth and doing what they say they will do, at this point how can anyone who is paying attention discount Tesla's public plans? Doesn't make sense to me from an observational point of view. 🤔
I mean the reason for the CT not shipping yet it is so simple and people just ignore the obvious. The friggin factory isnt done yet. It's not the price, its not the tech, its that Tesla doesnt have a place to build it yet.

I mean the reason for the CT not shipping yet it is so simple and people just ignore the obvious. The friggin factory isnt done yet. It's not the price, its not the tech, its that Tesla doesnt have a place to build it yet.
Why for the love of dog do you come on here and talk LOGIC?!

Social media influencers, self appointed car experts, and journalists don't profit unless a controversy is created.

Plus he is an idiot.