Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So the "product roadmap" update was essentially "everything that is delayed is still delayed and even more so...and maybe, possibly we finally get to level 4 FSD this year."

This is what was so important that Elon felt he had to come back to an Earnings Call to explain? He said he'd be done doing ECs unless there was a major update, took *one quarter* off and that was it?
The oddest bit of elon over the past month has been how when someone asked a question about the Cyber(nota)truck he would give some clues about how great the final version is. And then cut himself off saying, "You are just going to have to wait for the Earnings call. I don't want to give all the good stuff away right now."
I know that the stock is going to do alright eventually. My focus in the earnings call was to hear about the good bits concerning the Cyber(nota)truck.

View attachment 760901
Damn Elon
Yesterday he told us that Tesla would grow more than 50% this year with Fremont and Shanghai alone.
My 2022 model assumed only 42% growth at Fremont/Shanghai combined.

I know it's not what Elon exactly said, but what I think he meant was that planned upgrades to Fremont and Shanghai can easily bring production capacity by mid 2022 of the two existing plants to 150% of 2021 production. I think actually hitting that number without any contribution from Austin or Berlin might be difficult. Elon sometimes speaks in imprecise ways, particularly when he knows, for example, that there will be enough contribution from the two new plants that actual results will handily beat 150% of 2021.

I could be wrong but that's kind of how I interpreted his comment. It was a way to take the pressure off the need to have fast ramps of one or both of the new plants.

Cybertruck isn't being delayed due to parts shortages and logistics. It's because there is still a lot of engineering that needs to be done. Elon said it has a lot of new technology and they are still figuring out how to make it work in a way that is affordable.
He said "Even if we wanted to put a new product out, we would not make anymore vehicles than they do today" Doesn't matter if its batteries or chips, when you steal one part to make a another car....the pie doesn't get any bigger. They specifically mentioned seat adjusters as one instance.

I know it's not what Elon exactly said, but what I think he meant was that planned upgrades to Fremont and Shanghai can easily bring production capacity by mid 2022 of the two existing plants to 150% of 2021 production. I think actually hitting that number without any contribution from Austin or Berlin might be difficult. Elon sometimes speaks in imprecise ways, particularly when he knows, for example, that there will be enough contribution from the two new plants that actual results will handily beat 150% of 2021.

I could be wrong but that's kind of how I interpreted his comment. It was a way to take the pressure off the need to have fast ramps of one or both of the new plants.

something something barring supply chain shortages...

Reactions: Mike Ambler
The oddest bit of elon over the past month has been how when someone asked a question about the Cyber(nota)truck he would give some clues about how great the final version is. And then cut himself off saying, "You are just going to have to wait for the Earnings call. I don't want to give all the good stuff away right now."
I know that the stock is going to do alright eventually. My focus in the earnings call was to hear about the good bits concerning the Cyber(nota)truck.
Exactly. That’s why this was one of the strangest calls in Tesla history. Literally none of us could have predicted how it actually went. Pretty nutty.

One other possible temper tantrum by the market is over remarks by Elon about challenges with making Cybertruck affordable with all the new technology. They could interpret this as a risk to the CT program and that it may not ever ship, or that CT will be too late given Rivian and others. Personally, I don't agree, but the market is even dumber than me.

1) no $25K car. They were expecting this to get to 20M/yr volume and don't understand that it might not be necessary

No was was expecting this - the "industry consensus" on this (if you remotely care what Wall St thinks anyway) is 10m/yr by FY30. It's fair to say that's conservative, but Tesla may very well simply leave the lower end of the market to the likes of Skoda, Chrysler, Hyundai etc. If and when they do introduce a $25k car it'll be 2025 or beyond.

The other things you said are fair, but Cybertruck's delay wasn't news at all so likely had zero impact, unless people have been in a coma for the last quarter.

And before some of you scream: but HODL, there are a tremendous amount of retail investors that are HODL'ing and doing options for income that are massively affected by this.

You say that as if you are owed success on your option gambles. My take on management's responsibility is to increase long-term shareholder value even if it comes at the expense of short-term share price bumps.

And I will state the obvious and say if you are making options bets with the goal of creating income, but you don't have positive returns, then the fault lies with the particular bets you are making, not with the company's creation of shareholder value. If you do have positive returns, but they are not as high as you would like, the fault is also yours. The company is not responsible for your gambles, and they have no fiduciary duty to people who only have options to become shareholders. There is not an options contract out there that makes you a bonafide shareholder until after the fact. And Tesla is under no obligation to represent shareholders non-shareholder interests. Given these realities, I'm not sure what your point is.

Elon's unfiltered responses are a big negative in the context of an earnings call where most of the questions tend to be short term oriented. He would do retail investors a big favor by limiting his participation to annual share holder meetings and product unveils/technology demos. Zach would have framed the responses much better which would have limited the FUD

Many people here seems to want a more regular public company CEO who spends a lot of energy on influencing short term share price. As a long term investor, I do not care much about that. Musk is a maverick and an amazing entrepreneur with some obvious flaws, in my view, but that he does not seem to care much about how his words influences short term share price I find rather liberating.

FSD like Mars seems borderline fantasia to the market.
FSD is very real and widely recognized. Full scale driverless Robotaxis (which has been "next year" narrative since 2014) is definitely seen as fantasia - it's important not to conflate the two.

The reality is, on Robotaxis, it doesn't matter. I don't think anyone is buying a Tesla today with the expectation it will become a driving ATM in the future acting as an autonomous Uber. Unless you want to confess something? :)

I think they do, as the mission is to accelerate the advent of sustainable transportation, so I'm thinking they need to hit a run rate of 10 to 15 million/yr to saturate the market in 10 years, assuming robotaxi is launched by late 2024.

There, I've gone on record! :)
Also, consider the backup plan:
What if in 2-3 years FSD is very good, and much safer than the average driver.
BUT - still gets confused and stuck from time to time. And it still might make odd choices once i a blue moon.
It is not flawless - there will be accidents and metal gets bent from time to time.
But - because FSD though not perfect in this scenario is still really good and also the fact that Tesla's are very safe vehicles, the accidents are not fatal, but mostly just fender-benders.

The thing is: Having remote drivers or safety drivers might actually work very well with regulators: Then there are humans to blame instead of 'killer machines'.

Enter remote safety or backup driving.