Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WaPo is widely read, especially by US Govt types. It’s not some tabloid. I think it’s important we understand the specific talking points that are being (mis)used.

The new battlefield is FSD. It’s Tesla’s number one potential liability right now. The “recall” actions of NHSTA are another piece of this. I fully expect NHSTA to try to shut down the Beta program soon.
"They" (Oil, Auto, Does 1-100) don't have an answer for FSD. I believe that their plan is to cripple/stop FSD in the hopes that it will stop Tesla's rapid YoY growth and allow ICE to remain viable.

"They" (Oil, Auto, Does 1-100) don't have an answer for FSD. I believe that their plan is to cripple/stop FSD in the hopes that it will stop Tesla's rapid YoY growth and allow ICE to remain viable.
Even without FSD, ICE vehicles don’t have a chance.

The market has shifted and people are seeing the benefits of good EVs.

Also, Tesla’s cost structure is swinging and very soon Tesla will be able to sell EVs for less than ICE cars. Heck, we’re either there now or very very close.

Is there a possibility that this people are actually that stupid? /s

Not stupid, desperate.

I suspect most of them see the writing on the wall and are just trying to delay the inevitable so they can keep milking the cow for a bit longer.

Last edited:
1.2M preorders in 2021 and all time high in Q4? wow if true

1.2 million requires all $180 million to be $150 China reservations as opposed to $2,500 in the US (per Tweet table)

Also does not cover:
Q4 2017
Roadster: 250k for Founders *1,000 (no longer orderable, may be sold out)= 250 million, 50k for base.
Semi: originally 5k, now 20k, founders was 200k
Q4 2019
Cybertruck: $100

Dark pool buys continue.......while actual daily volume is anemic. Today's volume was higher than the rest of this week but that was all due to macro selling.

If you want a possible theory as to where the buying volume has gone, that might be your answer.

While I don't really put too much into technical analysis, I definitely do think we test the 200 day if we break below 900 in convincing way. Hopefully the China numbers that come in Friday (though would be after hours on Friday) or over the weekend are strong enough numbers to push this thing higher.

Personally, I don't trust WSJ reporting because I never know when they're pushing a paid false narrative, or just filling space with speculative stories. Either way, I discount their reporting unless confirmed independantly.

Seems to me though that a Berlin Design Centre would be pretty clear evidence of a compact Eurocar offering. I'll watch Telsa's HR website for job postings in Berlin. I don't expect a move until the local gov't uncorks their approvals process though. They have something to prove now. I hear Bratislava is nice this time of year...

Cheers!
Why? Why not a small/medium sized commercial vehicle range for Europe? Huge sales, competitors abound but are nearly all ICE adaptations. We really should admit there a plethora of logical choices for both Shanghai and Berlin. Whatever they will be they’ll be new standards for their segments. I’m sure we all really want to know!

Pretty sure Elon said Model Y is likely to overtake Corolla in sales revenue this year, and sales volume next year. Already happening in California, the rest will come when Giga Texas has a full year's worth of production under it's (big, silver) belt buckle. ;)

Cheers!
yep but the article states "Camry". (Which I found odd (even as an ant)). And is the reason I was so vague in doing the comparison.

I've always disliked most humans. But for the last two years I have been interested in Tesla to the point that I have been reading everything available. Especially "current news". And now I dislike almost all humans.
The utter roach-poo that is part of doing business.
Stopping external speakers from making noise because they might make more noise than the noise they are making so people will know the car is there by the noise.
To hundreds of millions of dollars given to one individual for hearing words.
To Governments like Germany (and the germans defending their crap).
And there is FUD.
Thank the Lord I got rich of this crap.

Why? Why not a small/medium sized commercial vehicle range for Europe? Huge sales, competitors abound but are nearly all ICE adaptations. We really should admit there a plethora of logical choices for both Shanghai and Berlin. Whatever they will be they’ll be new standards for their segments. I’m sure we all really want to know!
Tesla is on record as saying they want to eventually compete in all vehicle segments.

4680 cell production and raw materials sourcing, in conjunction with cell orders from suppliers, should remove cell constraints,
Chip supply and other part supply problems are easing, everything points to higher production of all models but Model Y in particular.

Most of this should play out by the end of 2022,

2023 is an opportunity to announce new models if all if the design and engineering ground work has been done.
Where Tesla is currently at, it makes more sense to compress the timeline between new product reveal and that product shipping as far as possible, and keep the new product a secret, as far as possible, before the reveal.

So I would like to see 2023 go as follows:- "Here are 2 new models, you can order now, we are hoping to ship them in 6-9 months".

Specifically on Dodger's point, if they are planning to make additional models in Berlin it makes sense to apply for the relevant permissions ASAP, maybe have some provision for additional models in the volumes already requested. I doubt the factory permissions are model specific...

And if permissions in Berlin are too onerous, Tesla can make new models in Shanghai and Austin with no fuss, while they wait.

Last edited:
Tesla related I see a Cybertruck cameo

1644548752601.png

Asia is not feeling the same price pressures as the West
from The Economist

[…] there are reasons why Asia’s richer countries have recorded lower inflationary pressure too. For one, supply-chain bottlenecks are not as severe as they are in the West. The cost of shipping a 40-foot container from Shanghai to Rotterdam has risen by around 60% in the past year, to $13,686, according to Drewry, a supply-chain consultancy. In contrast, the price for the return journey is little more than a tenth of that, at $1,445, a figure which has dropped by 1% in the past year. Surveys of purchasing managers suggest that supplier delays are still worsening in most of Europe and America, but falling in China […]​
This sounds good for Shanghai production — but bad for shipping to Europe, if RoRo rates have risen similarly to container rates.