Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@StarFoxisDown! Implied Volatility is the reason. If the share price stays the exact same, but the IV goes higher, so does the LEAP price. The lower it goes, the lower.
In the TSLA options world.....it tends IMO to go the other way. TSLA options market makers decide their mood, then the IV moves. From my amateur but close in perspective, it's more of a trailing indicator of the supply/demand balance.

In the TSLA options world.....it tends IMO to go the other way. TSLA options market makers decide their mood, then the IV moves. From my amateur but close in perspective, it's more of a trailing indicator of the supply/demand balance.
Agree on the movement of IV, but was just explaining how the options price can move in the opposite direction of the stock price.

A quote from that:

"As a result, approaching vehicles were unable to avoid colliding with them. It appears that everyone involved was wearing a seatbelt."

Huh? o_O Why were they unable to avoid a collision? Did their car not have an AEB system? Did their brakes fail? Steering fail?

I've had a fuel pump go out while in the middle lane of a freeway, and nobody hit me. (Traffic was wizzing by on both sides of me until emergency responders came and pushed my vehicle off the next off-ramp.)

I've had a fuel pump go out while in the middle lane of a freeway, and nobody hit me. (Traffic was wizzing by on both sides of me until emergency responders came and pushed my vehicle off the next off-ramp.)
I'd say you were very lucky. Only takes one distracted driver at highway speeds to not notice until too late and cause a pile up.

Very aware of IV and it's effects. It doesn't explain some of these moves. As I mentioned yesterday, one my LEAPS was up 35% on 7% move on pretty heavy volume.

Supply/Demand at that particularly point in time too.

Some fear Giga Berlin will be as productive as Chernobyl.

With strong rumors of Giga Berlin actually being alive, probably adds a floor value to those LEAPS.

Buy now while you can.

I can't really take this article serious given what's in that article. Lots of FUD pieces with no clarification/context. I wouldn't be surprised if they're purposely leaving out key information was to why the Tesla lost power.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Tesla simply ran out of juice and the driver didn't realize it.

Reactions: UncaNed
Supply/Demand at that particularly point in time too.

Some fear Giga Berlin will be as productive as Chernobyl.

With strong rumors of Giga Berlin actually being alive, probably adds a floor value to those LEAPS.

Buy now while you can.
Pretty much my thoughts on it. I figured once it's been driven down as far as possible, Wall St would move into LEAPS first before buying volume reappears. Given the timing ( a few days before the Berlin announcement) lines up with that thinking.
I'd be quite surprised if that were the case.
Not saying I think it's likely, just that it's a possible explanation. I've seen some people do some really stupid things in cars, both ICE and EV. Regardless though, that article lists out FUD and FUD without the corresponding context to each piece of FUD. So I wouldn't be surprised if they're leaving out key information.

180 days for property acquisition.
90 days permitting.
30 days waiting for power company.
8 days to actually do the thing.

Bureaucracy at it’s finest.

(All estimates save the last…)

Indeed…but as governments start to act a little more urgently, some of these things should get streamlined. Actually the biggest bureaucratic risk to me in your list is the power company dragging its heels. Incentive for them to act quickly will never be there, whereas governments/municipalities can be incentivized.

Reactions: navguy12 and Ogre
EVs dont just run out an stop without a lot of warnings and dropping of speed and power.

Theres a chance something broke and the car lost power, but you should still be able to coast and steer, and brake.
I managed to blow the pyro fuse on the battery in my 2013 model s. (Spirited driving) I received a message that said pull over immediately, vehicle powering down. I had about 5 seconds to get to the side of the road and then it was a hard shut down and car would not move.

If you just omit the word “Tesla” most people would wonder why this is News at all.

Driver Killed after car loses power, and is struck by other vehicles

This would never be a headline in Newsweek. This kind of accident is entirely too common to make national news. Add the word “Tesla“ and/ or “Autopilot” in there and suddenly it is indeed national news.

EDIT: Maybe this comes across as crass. Whatever went wrong needs to be fixed if it is a mechanical failure. No disrespect meant to the family or crash victim here. Just frustrated by the vultures who profit from this stuff.

Last edited:
Indeed…but as governments start to act a little more urgently, some of these things should get streamlined. Actually the biggest bureaucratic risk to me in your list is the power company dragging its heels. Incentive for them to act quickly will never be there, whereas governments/municipalities can be incentivized.
Perhaps posting immediately after dealing with yet another building inspector on my house makes me a bit jaded.

Some of this will never go away. They might express-lane permitting. But much of this is just embedded in our societies. Look at Germany. The government officials *want* Tesla to start production. These delays make them look like idiots, but the process is there and must be followed. The anti-EV trolls must be fed along the way.

Reactions: navguy12
Green energy/solar strong again and holding up quite well, minus the currently unprofitable EV players.

Hard to believe Putin’s actions might actually push the world towards sustainable energy but that appears to be what the market is thinking.

Also, who else can do this? Love this speed of deployment…

Accelerating sustainable energy is an economic disaster for Russia and his oligarch buddies. That Putin didn't understand how the rest of the world would react to this just shows how out-of-touch he is. This video is a week old, but Putin already looks defeated and unhealthy as he explains his reasoning to the other billionaires:

We thought Tesla was under-valued before this short-sighted invasion of Ukraine but with the newfound urgency to transition to sustainable energies caused by the invasion, TSLA has just become a lot more valuable. Yesterday's rise is not enough to compensate for the newfound value, IMO. And that's putting aside that it was already under-valued, just based on the auto business alone.

I really despise war, but it can sometimes have beneficial side effects!

If you just omit the word “Tesla” most people would wonder why this is News at all.

Driver Killed after car loses power, and is struck by other vehicles

This would never be a headline in Newsweek. This kind of accident is entirely too common to make national news. Add the word “Tesla“ and/ or “Autopilot” in there and suddenly it is indeed national news.

EDIT: Maybe this comes across as crass. Whatever went wrong needs to be fixed if it is a mechanical failure. No disrespect meant to the family or crash victim here. Just frustrated by the vultures who profit from this stuff.

At least we know it was not:

Out of gas
Failed fuel pump
Leak in the high pressure fuel system
water in the gas
failed ignition system
bad air mass sensor
worn out clutch/transmission
broken timing chain/belt
loss of compression
broken alternator belt
etc, etc, etc.

I guess it's newsworthy because it's so unusual. I mean, who would expect a Tesla to just quit running? 🤪

At least we know it was not:

Out of gas
Failed fuel pump
Leak in the high pressure fuel system
water in the gas
failed ignition system
bad air mass sensor
worn out clutch/transmission
broken timing chain/belt
loss of compression
broken alternator belt
etc, etc, etc.

I guess it's newsworthy because it's so unusual. I mean, who would expect a Tesla to just quit running? 🤪
Dropped universal joint… that is bad news if it ever happens to you.

Sadly, there are a lot of people who rely over-much on questionable media. I end up arguing with people who still think EVs explode spontaneously and that Tesla drivers must wrestle the wheel to keep Autopilot from ramming random objects on a daily basis.