Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Did my part for the quarter. Picked up this baby yesterday in Marina Del Ray.

‘22 MS Plaid Refresh 2.0. Build date 3/11.

8CF35F25-4530-4408-981B-2B2561B951EC.jpeg

Last edited:
Twenty million shares traded by an hour before the market opens - getting to be a bit of a habit, isn’t it?

I think it was the S&P announcement that caused the share price to rise, then stagnate until unexpectedly breaking out in a FOMO from the shorts who still needed to cover. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, it doesn't really matter because things don't ever happen exactly the same way, twice. But this sure has the feel of steady, constant demand for Tesla shares while being somewhat caareful not to run the price up too far. But, at some point I think the dam will burst, when those short figure the prices are only going to go up from here, And they will all rush in at once trying to make themselves whole while bidding TSLA much higher.

Been a lot of good news on the storage part of the energy biz finally getting a little momentum.... the solar side, not so much :(
I am on the receiving end of this with a new construction. The plan is to install in two stages. First they prep and waterproof the roof. Then they wait for the tiles to become available for the second and final stage. The time between may be as much as six months. Probably less for me as I am already in the queue and am optimistic they will be available in the fall when my house construction should be finishing.

But this is not a new thing. A known issue for several months, hence the process they have set up. The email below is from over a month ago:

We install Solar Roof in two phases. The 1st phase is Dry-in (water-proofing). This stage will be scheduled once you can provide a date when the following items will be completed. These items do not need to be completed right now, but just by the date you provide. During dry-in we will come out and install our underlayment. Your roof will be water-tight once we dry-in the roof. The underlayment is good for up to 6 months exposed to elements. This stage will take approximately 2 days. There can be no other contractors on-site during installation.
• 100% roof sheathing completed (date to be completed?)
• 100% roof vents completed (plumbing, DMVs, heat producing vents, and skylights installed with a 4-6” curb) (date to be completed?)
• Fascia installed (wrapped and painted) (date to be completed?)
• Permit received from city (done)

Once you confirm a date when these items will be finished, we can place you on the calendar for dry-in.

The 2nd Phase of Solar Roof installation is Tile installation and Powerwall installation. This will take approximately 2-5 days to finish. We will schedule this once you can confirm a date when the following will be completed. There can be no other contractors on-site during Solar Roof and Powerwall installation.
  • Siding or Stucco is 100% completed
  • Conduit Rough-ins need to be completed (1” EMT or flexible metal conduit from the attic to the main panel. 4S deep junction box located under each Solar Roof array)
  • Permanent electrical service installed
  • Windows and doors are installed
  • Painting is done
We are currently experiencing material shortages, so we cannot currently schedule a date for tile installation, however, we will schedule you for dry-in. Material shortages are affecting the whole solar industry.

The supply chain issues are definitely a bummer.

That's Fred.

Solar installations we're up 28% last year during the chip shortage to 183GW. 2022 is projected to be between 205 and 250GW.

Uh, what?

That's the 2021 year end report.

Solar installs were not even 1% of what you are claiming there.

345 mw total.

With Q1 being the highest amount and lower since then, and Q4 being lower than Q4 of 2020.

2021 overall WAS up from 2020, but only because 2020 (and 2019) were massive declines compared to earlier years.

2018 installs for solar were 326 mw, barely less than 2021.

2017 installs for solar were 523 mw.... roughly 50% higher than 2021.

Last edited:
I used to be a monthly parker. At first, I didn't like having to pay $70 per month for the privilege of parking. But over time I changed my point of view. Occasionally the lot would fill up early with daily parkers, and I'd be SOL. I'd have to go park somewhere else at my expense. My monthly pass was made near worthless because the daily rate was not set high enough to push some daily parkers over to other lots and leave monthly parkers with a couple of open spaces.

I came to realize that the function of higher parking prices for me as a parker was to keep a few spaces available all the time. This informs how I look at Tesla's backlog. Higher prices help to keep backlog reasonably short. Higher prices are actually a benefit to buyers who need a car now and are willing to pay for it. Having to wait for a year or more is not tolerable, even waiting 6 months is too long.

The reality is that someone needs to go park in that less desirable lot today. If you can't afford a new Tesla, keep driving your old car, whatever it is, for a few more years. In the meantime, Tesla will use that extra revenue to scale up production at top speed. When Tesla scale production fast enough both wait times and prices will come down. It's just a matter of time.

Did my part for the quarter. Picked up this baby yesterday in Marina Del Ray.

‘22 MS Plaid Refresh 2.0. Build date 3/11.

View attachment 788250
Awesome, congrats! I did the same with its little cousin MYP :) Absolutely love it and think it’s better than my 2015 model s in every way except for some finishing materials on the inside like alcantara headliner, leather dash and door panels, etc; different class of a car though, so that’s to be expected.

All these max profit margin cars can’t be bad for the bottom line!

66DD0B14-1EEF-41E6-B3E2-28F07E25B717.jpeg

My plans had been to buy a Model Y once TSLA reached a target (which should happen later this year) and eventually trade it once the Cybertruck is available.

The long lead times and price increases have changed things and I'll keep the Ford Focus kicking until either:
A) Model Y increase in production rate allows price/lead time to be reduced, or
B) Cybertruck reservation queues up

Likewise to @jhm, I completely understand Tesla's strategy and sincerely want them to keep doing what is best for the company.

Last edited:
My plans had been to buy a Model Y once TSLA reached a target (which should happen later this year) and eventually trade it once the Cybertruck is available.

The long lead times and price increases have changed things and I'll keep the Ford Focus kicking until either:
A) Model Y increase in production rate allows price/lead time to be reduced, or
B) Cybertruck reservation queues up

Likewise to @jhm, I completely understand Tesla's strategy and sincerely want them to keep doing what is best for the company.
It goes without saying, but while your saving money putting a few more miles on your Ford Focus, you can put your savings into buying Tesla shares. It's the TSLA prepayment plan!

It goes without saying, but while your saving money putting a few more miles on your Ford Focus, you can put your savings into buying Tesla shares. It's the TSLA prepayment plan!
Well, if I had an income, I would. ;) Couches are empty since retirement a year ago.

For now, the strategy is to put off selling any chairs for as long as possible and to avoid borrowing more than 10% on margin to pay the bills until the TSLA target is achieved.

Awesome, congrats! I did the same with its little cousin MYP :) Absolutely love it and think it’s better than my 2015 model s in every way except for some finishing materials on the inside like alcantara headliner, leather dash and door panels, etc; different class of a car though, so that’s to be expected.

All these max profit margin cars can’t be bad for the bottom line!

View attachment 788268
Same to you. Agreed.

Picked up a MYP for wife in January. This and my Plaid replaced our ‘17 S and X. The Y is substantially better from a build perspective than our last Gen X. It is solid. The S is something else.

Night and day. Tesla has come so far in 4 years in terms of build. In half that time they will extinguish any real and perceived quality build gaps compared to Merc.

Designed to be built in scale. Now with a huge extra helping of quality thrown in.

D008E4D1-6108-46AE-9589-A6ED9C6083D2.jpeg
70FA3147-1177-4D4B-B51D-8BBB91678C21.jpeg
4CF645EF-3062-4E47-84CB-4F9AE714A157.jpeg

I am on the receiving end of this with a new construction. ...

We install Solar Roof in two phases. The 1st phase is Dry-in (water-proofing). This stage will be scheduled once you can provide a date when the following items will be completed. These items do not need to be completed right now, but just by the date you provide. During dry-in we will come out and install our underlayment. Your roof will be water-tight once we dry-in the roof. The underlayment is good for up to 6 months exposed to elements. This stage will take approximately 2 days. There can be no other contractors on-site during installation.

What is the process for fixing a potential future leak?
Can a small section of solar roof be removed to water proof underlayment beneath / flashing / around vents etc?

The Government is also enacting a sales mandate that 20 per cent of light-duty vehicle sales will be zero-emission by 2026. By 2030, this mandate will rise to at least 60 per cent. By 2035 it will be 100 per cent.
Nice targets, but no mandate for medium or heavy vehicles though.

The Government also confirmed that it will expand the Federal EV rebate program by $1.7 billion. According to reporting by The Canadian Press, the Government will expand the program to include used vehicles and more expensive models.
Hopefully, the arbitrary upper-limits are removed. They make zero sense for a EV with a 1M+ mile expected lifespan vs an ICE vehicle with a quarter of that useful service life. Cybertrucks alone could be on the roads for 50 years! No Rust! (that's a thing in Canada) ;)

Cheers!

I am on the receiving end of this with a new construction. The plan is to install in two stages. First they prep and waterproof the roof. Then they wait for the tiles to become available for the second and final stage. The time between may be as much as six months. Probably less for me as I am already in the queue and am optimistic they will be available in the fall when my house construction should be finishing.

But this is not a new thing. A known issue for several months, hence the process they have set up. The email below is from over a month ago:

• 100% roof sheathing completed (date to be completed?)
• 100% roof vents completed (plumbing, DMVs, heat producing vents, and skylights installed with a 4-6” curb) (date to be completed?)
• Fascia installed (wrapped and painted) (date to be completed?)
• Permit received from city (done)

Once you confirm a date when these items will be finished, we can place you on the calendar for dry-in.

The 2nd Phase of Solar Roof installation is Tile installation and Powerwall installation. This will take approximately 2-5 days to finish. We will schedule this once you can confirm a date when the following will be completed. There can be no other contractors on-site during Solar Roof and Powerwall installation.
  • Siding or Stucco is 100% completed
  • Conduit Rough-ins need to be completed (1” EMT or flexible metal conduit from the attic to the main panel. 4S deep junction box located under each Solar Roof array)
  • Permanent electrical service installed
  • Windows and doors are installed
  • Painting is done
We are currently experiencing material shortages, so we cannot currently schedule a date for tile installation, however, we will schedule you for dry-in. Material shortages are affecting the whole solar industry.

The supply chain issues are definitely a bummer.
Sorry, it sounds like a stressful situation. I've been waiting for solar panels but at least I have a roof.

I'm looking to add a solar roof in the next 1-2 years after getting a wall charger installed at my home recently for my Model 3. So, this discussion would be helpful to understand some of the ins and outs of solar roofs issues people may encounter after purchase and understand that market better.

Also, make that Tesla product #6 (cars, solar, wall chargers...) gotten by my immediate family!

Learned from another TMC forum that, as a house upgrade w/ the Tesla Wall Charger, that this extension is really useful for all other electric cars:

...if that matters for anyone here

Last edited by a moderator: