Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed they did, months ago. Some of us noticed !!!

Here is the most interesting part to me, as highlighted by the OP:

CCS-enabled charging, here we come!!! I expect a few things from this:
  1. We will start rubbing elbows with other EV brands' drivers at these new open Superchargers, comparing cars, puncturing myths about each other, etc.
  2. The competing networks (Chargepoint, EA, etc) will have to up their game appreciably if they don't want to face mass abandonment as said drivers figure out that the Tesla chargers are always working, and (per current installed base) a good bit faster.
  3. We will see slightly more crowding - only slightly more given Tesla's lead in North American EV sales
I find this almost as bullish as the Hertz deal, in that it should cause a significant increase in the utility of not only Tesla's, not only EA's, but North America's charge network, and that is all to the good. To the good for the mission, and likely to the good for Tesla due to favorable head-to-head comparisons of both cars and chargers.
and:
4. provide a new revenue stream in the US.​

This would be like Ford owning 58% of the gas stations and probably 75% of the traffic (excluding home charging).

Indeed they did, months ago. Some of us noticed !!!

Here is the most interesting part to me, as highlighted by the OP:

CCS-enabled charging, here we come!!! I expect a few things from this:
  1. We will start rubbing elbows with other EV brands' drivers at these new open Superchargers, comparing cars, puncturing myths about each other, etc.
  2. The competing networks (Chargepoint, EA, etc) will have to up their game appreciably if they don't want to face mass abandonment as said drivers figure out that the Tesla chargers are always working, and (per current installed base) a good bit faster.
  3. We will see slightly more crowding - only slightly more given Tesla's lead in North American EV sales
I find this almost as bullish as the Hertz deal, in that it should cause a significant increase in the utility of not only Tesla's, not only EA's, but North America's charge network, and that is all to the good. To the good for the mission, and likely to the good for Tesla due to favorable head-to-head comparisons of both cars and chargers.

I can only see this as a positive for Tesla on many fronts. Even consider that the “other” EV owners will be forced to see how quickly the Tesla charges compared to their vehicle. I’m confident it will shift many that went with a legacy auto EV to Tesla.

I have no idea how fast a Mach E will charge at a Tesla 250 supercharger, but nowhere as fast as my Model Y/3.

and:

This would be like Ford owning 58% of the gas stations and probably 75% of the traffic (excluding home charging).
I can't remember the spread between the cost of charge rates for Tesla owners and non-Tesla owners, but whatever it is, Tesla should double it, if not more.

Some might disagree and say it's discouraging for EV adoption in general. I could care less as long as Tesla continually expands production and other renewable energy projects. Call it a Tesla tax for anyone dumb enough not to go with a Tesla.

The Supercharger network is by far the biggest moat I think for Tesla and the initiatives done by Electrify America and others are just embarrassing at this point.

I can only see this as a positive for Tesla on many fronts. Even consider that the “other” EV owners will be forced to see how quickly the Tesla charges compared to their vehicle. I’m confident it will shift many that went with a legacy auto EV to Tesla.

I have no idea how fast a Mach E will charge at a Tesla 250 supercharger, but nowhere as fast as my Model Y/3.
Given the recent software fix of throttling back the Mach E's DC charging (to avoid, you know, melting the battery contacts), said Mach E will likely be a LOT slower than your Y/3 for charging!

And excellent point @The Accountant - I am still getting used to the fact that the Supercharger network is now a profit center. As in bringing in $$$. And growing like a mo-fo still. This is quite bullish indeed. (Goes to search the couch cushions one more time just in case)

Can't believe it isn't connected to the airport yet. Guessing cab/ride share lobby is strong...

Prufrock is designed to tunnel at 1 mile / wk, so less than a month to make a 3.2 mi tunnel from LVCC to McCarran. But that's for a single tunnel; TBC will need multiple tunnels for 2-way traffic, plus building the air shafts, the pax terminals, etc...

Even Gary the Snail couldn't do it any faster than that. :p

Cheers!

I can't remember the spread between the cost of charge rates for Tesla owners and non-Tesla owners, but whatever it is, Tesla should double it, if not more.

Some might disagree and say it's discouraging for EV adoption in general. I could care less as long as Tesla continually expands production and other renewable energy projects. Call it a Tesla tax for anyone dumb enough not to go with a Tesla.

The Supercharger network is by far the biggest moat I think for Tesla and the initiatives done by Electrify America and others are just embarrassing at this point.

@Maarten provided us with this info back in Nov '21:

1656703019076.png

Prufrock is designed to tunnel at 1 mile / wk, so less than a month to make a 3.2 mi tunnel from LVCC to McCarran. But that's for a single tunnel; TBC will need multiple tunnels for 2-way traffic, plus building the air shafts, the pax terminals, etc...

Even Gary the Snail couldn't do it any faster than that. :p

Cheers!

Your new avatar initially has me thinking that I am reading a post from @Krugerrand . . .
. . . .then I see the "Cheers" sign-off and I realize it's you. 🧐

The whole superchargers opened to non-Teslas is interesting. Indeed, any time I consider purchasing a non-Tesla EV, the DC fast-charging network is always the elephant in the room. Indeed, recently I thought, well, if I can only really drive any other EV reliably "in-town" (call it within 100 miles), I might as well get a Bolt as a "cheap" in town car vs. any of the rest of the competition. Opening up superchargers definitely means I am more likely to cross-shop other EVs which is "bad" for Tesla auto sales...the flipside: I've always maintained the auto business was just a path to ENERGY for Tesla and in this case, He who controls the spice...

Seems that Toyota has already exhausted their 200,000 vehicle subsidy for that EV tax credit before they even sold a single BTUZ4YZG in the US because it counts towards hybrid vehicles. What a shame.

I wonder if Toyota has more lobbying clout then Tesla does in terms of getting the tax credit reinstated. I know Tesla doesn't need it anymore but the other guys certainly do.

Double it ;)
Maybe not necessary - Heck, I like the idea that other EV owners would pay Tesla a monthly subscription. Rates for the subscription as well as the charging can be tweaked, based on demand in a region and possibly the price of gas - the second one because it's nice to say "cheaper than gas" although now YMMV with other cars in the mix.
So the legacy OEMs would pay Tesla for each ICE they sell beyond a certain level (emission credits) ... then their customer pay Tesla monthly for the life of the vehicle.
Um, sign me up???!!!

Seems that Toyota has already exhausted their 200,000 vehicle subsidy for that EV tax credit before they even sold a single BTUZ4YZG in the US because it counts towards hybrid vehicles. What a shame.

I wonder if Toyota has more lobbying clout then Tesla does in terms of getting the tax credit reinstated. I know Tesla doesn't need it anymore but the other guys certainly do.
Lets hope not. We don't have a demand issue, we have a supply issue. More welfare won't speed EV adoption or sell one more EV in these circumstances, when there is a months (or years) long backlog of orders.

Your new avatar initially has me thinking that I am reading a post from @Krugerrand . . .
Yeah, I’ve no idea why @Artful Dodger identifies as cat now. 🤷🏻‍ Perhaps come to his senses. You’re way too boring to ever get there, but I’ve got high hopes for @StarFoxisDown! who is almost grumpy enough to receive an honorary cat title.

What do you mean? @Krugerrand clearly has TWO lovely ears... whereas one of mine was bitten off in a cat fight. They grow back, right? ;)

Yeah, I’ve no idea why @Artful Dodger identifies as cat now. 🤷🏻‍ Perhaps come to his senses.

Don't tell me you are too young to remember this avatar from July 13, 2019? ...and they say the knees are the first things to go. ;)

Kitty Dodger.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
and:

And a new revenue stream not only in the US - in Europe this is already happening.

This also allows a faster buildout of the charging infrastructure, so win-win-win (Tesla, -drivers, other EV drivers)

Maybe someone can fill in some gaps in my knowledge. Back when Tesla developed their plug and charging technology, didn't they offer to license that to other manufacturers? Given how "clean" the design is, and how well it works, how did this the big, clunky CCS plug ever end up being the default standard for non-Tesla vehicles, especially given how poorly the charging networks work? If licensing costs were reasonable, and especially if Tesla would grant access to Superchargers to vehicles using in, adoption of the Tesla plug as the default US standard seems like it would have been a no-brainer, especially seeing how much of the market they have. Just curious as to why it never took off on non-Tesla vehicles. Of course I could be "mis-remembering" them offering the technology to others. Thanks.