Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You and I live here, this would be funny if we didn't see this level of self-immolation on almost a daily basis.

The coastal elite pajama class is completely clueless on what it will take to truly transition off fossil fuels.

You can’t just chant virute-signal mantras and magically have zero carbon infrastructure manifest itself into existence without getting your hands dirty.

Lots of mines need to be build. Metal refining facilities. HVDC lines. Thousands of square miles with panels. Factories… etc, etc.

If you actively block that stuff YOU are going to lose the race, and YOU will be the future rust belt.

Texas is currently installing TRIPLE the solar and wind capacity per capita that California is, in spite of hugely divergent views on climate change.

Bond markets taking a tumble and showing that they think the Fed will pause after July...
Using your post to add my thoughts:
It's generally agreed by economists that Fed rate hikes take 1 to 1.5 years to have a full effect on the economy.
If the Fed waits until we are out of the tunnel to slow down or stop rate increases, it is too late; the effects of the rate hikes would continue to drag on the economy even after inflation is under control. The fed must taper rate hikes or stop them when there is light at the end of the tunnel in order to achieve a soft landing.

Recent rate hikes and projections as of mid-June are/were as follows:
1656694736457.png

Core Inflation and Core PCE are trending in the right direction:
1656694708509.png

I focus on Core because I believe Energy is supply driven and Food is impacted significantly by energy prices and Ukraine . . (thus indirectly impacted by supply).

There is no Fed meeting in August, so by the time we get to the September meeting, we will have June, July and August Inflation data.
It's my opinion that if core inflation is at 4% or below in Sept (we are now at 6%), the Fed may taper rate hikes more than projected or stop rate hikes altogether to monitor the situation for a month or so as prior rate hikes will continue to do it's work on the economy.

I don't believe that rate hikes will have a material impact on demand for Tesla vehicles but any indication of a rate hike slowdown will help the macro environment.

Last edited:
GM EV sales for the quarter. 6945 were Bolts. This is just US.
  • Electric vehicle sales were over 7,300 units, including some of the first deliveries of the BrightDrop Zevo 600 and GMC HUMMER EV Pickup, as well as the resumption of Chevrolet Bolt EV and Bolt EUV production.
One thing I noticed is Tesla sales are 2x Cadillac and Buick combined sales assuming Troy's numbers of about 120K for Tesla in the US for Q2 are correct.
In market speak nearly 7000 EVs from GM is greater than 120,000 Teslas. Pls CNBC use this for your scroll.

I'm feeling petty today since TSLA's valuation is still a joke.

So I take a lot of joy in both Mary's and Cadillac's twitter posts getting a laughable number of "likes". Cadillac barely got 100 likes....not 100k likes.....100 likes. Mary can't even break the 50 likes barrier.

Hey GM! No one gives a damn about your cars

So I take a lot of joy in both Mary's and Cadillac's twitter posts getting a laughable number of "likes". Cadillac barely got 100 likes....not 100k likes.....100 likes. Mary can't even break the 50 likes barrier.

Lmao, I thought they copied Tesla's lightshow, but no its an actual light show seperate from the car. Talk about fail.

Using your post to add my thoughts:
It's generally agreed by economists that Fed rate hikes take 1 to 1.5 years to have a full effect on the economy.
If the Fed waits until we are out of the tunnel to slow down or stop rate increases, it is too late; the effects of the rate hikes would continue to drag on the economy even after inflation is under control. The fed must taper rate hikes or stop them when there is light at the end of the tunnel in order to achieve a soft landing.

Recent rate hikes and projections as of mid-June are/were as follows:
View attachment 823589

Core Inflation and Core PCE are trending in the right direction:
View attachment 823587

I focus on Core because I believe Energy is supply driven and Food is impacted significantly by energy prices and Ukraine . . (thus indirectly impacted by supply).

There is no Fed meeting in August, so by the time we get to the September meeting, we will have June, July and August Inflation data.
It's my opinion that if core inflation is at 4% or below in Sept (we are now at 6%), the Fed may taper rate hikes more than projected or stop rate hikes altogether to monitor the situation for a month or so as prior rate hikes will continue to do it's work on the economy.

I don't believe that rate hikes will have a material impact on demand for Tesla vehicles but any indication of a rate hike slowdown will help the macro environment.
I don't think I can agree with a post more than this.

Well it looks like the Whitehouse got over its fear of mentioning Tesla.

And based on this it looks like they will be adding a CCS cable to the supercharger stations.
  • Tesla is making investments at its Gigafactory in Buffalo, New York to support the deployment of new fast charging stations to add to its fast-charging network. More than 1,600 employees work at Giga New York producing the Tesla Solar Roof and Supercharger stations, which are capable of charging vehicles up to 250 kW. Tesla is expanding production capacity of power electronics components that convert alternating current to direct current, charging cabinets, posts and cables. Later this year, Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers.

Mary needs to hire more bots like Elon does

/s

Can't believe it isn't connected to the airport yet. Guessing cab/ride share lobby is strong...

Tweet from 2020...

According to LVCVA CEO Steve Hill last October, the airport connection will take longer because of FAA review and approval procedures required by the Federal Aviation Regulations.

Even setting that aside, the airport is very far away from the Las Vegas Convention Center, so there would be nothing to connect it to currently. See the dashed line in the southeast corner in the map. There is a lot of construction left to do moving southward down the Strip before it would make any sense to dig to the airport. The Loop network is expanding incrementally from the initial LVCC tunnel and Resorts World is the closest adjacent station in the network.

I have not seen any evidence that lobbyists are slowing down Vegas Loop development. The local government and businesses have been extremely supportive, and the resorts, entertainment venues and museums hold a lot more power than the taxis and rideshare companies. Taxi representatives haven't even showed up to the government approval hearings to express opposition before the votes.

1656699825788.png

Last edited:

So according to Cadillac, "the signature element that brings the LYRIQ to life is its immaculate lighting."

I see. Not its performance, safety, reliability or even styling. Check out those LEDs.

Well, setting aside the question of what exactly is "immaculate" lighting, I'd say the signature element of the LYRIQ is its huge fake grille, which of course is anti-functional, since it adds aerodynamic drag. The styling screams: WE ARE THE (fossil fueled) PAST, NOT THE FUTURE! At least that part is not a lie.

(I too am grumpy today.)

In market speak nearly 7000 EVs from GM is greater than 120,000 Teslas. Pls CNBC use this for your scroll.

Just consider the rate of growth! In Q4 GM delivered 26 EVs, from there 7300 is a 280x growth in just 6 months.
Extrapolate this another 6 months and you see, by Q4 of this year, they will deliver over 2 million EVs, easily beating Tesla!

No wonder the market rewards GM for its growth. Biden said it, Mary led...

/s

Have to point out that already happened.

Indeed they did, months ago. Some of us noticed !!!

Here is the most interesting part to me, as highlighted by the OP:
Later this year, Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers.
CCS-enabled charging, here we come!!! I expect a few things from this:
  1. We will start rubbing elbows with other EV brands' drivers at these new open Superchargers, comparing cars, puncturing myths about each other, etc.
  2. The competing networks (Chargepoint, EA, etc) will have to up their game appreciably if they don't want to face mass abandonment as said drivers figure out that the Tesla chargers are always working, and (per current installed base) a good bit faster.
  3. We will see slightly more crowding - only slightly more given Tesla's lead in North American EV sales
I find this almost as bullish as the Hertz deal, in that it should cause a significant increase in the utility of not only Tesla's, not only EA's, but North America's charge network, and that is all to the good. To the good for the mission, and likely to the good for Tesla due to favorable head-to-head comparisons of both cars and chargers.