Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Forward Observing

Read an article about VW rapidly overtaking Tesla in Europe and China. Talked about their (VW) growing numbers and a gigafactory; comparing to Tesla’s growth. However; however, no where did they compare numbers of sales, no where did they talk about the Berlin Tesla factory coming on line, let alone in Berlin. Or, the China COVID shut down. Which by the way, I assume cut into all manufacturing across the board; including sales Of all things auto.

FYI ~ I am amazed at where Berlin is today, having visited (on leave) in 1970 thru the portal called Check Point Charlie. Later on official military business in 1990.

Remember, VW bought a Model S back when they would become vintage today, and took it apart bolt and battery to backwards engineer. GW Lutz acted like a putz, Ford may have contemplated electrification (maybe).

Just pondering FUD

Cheers

Was this officially stated somewhere? The article says that Biden made an announcement that the Supercharger network would be opening up to other brands soon, but did he really? I know Elon discussed it, but never heard anything more than that, from an official source.

We even have an idea of how adapters are going to work on some Superchargers. They're calling them the Magic Dock: Here's how Tesla plans to allow other EVs to plug in at North American Superchargers - Magic Dock

Presumably the adapter will be locked to the Supercharger frame to start, and when someone with a CCS vehicle wants to charge, they'll activate it in the app, at which point it will lock itself to the end of the Supercharger cable and release itself from the frame.

Ok, not sure why this is news, except it Elon. Kind of interesting….

Forward Observing

Hello, my name is Bruce, I am officially fossil fuel clean by two days. Installed sixty solar panels and passed inspection three weeks ago. Just waiting impatiently for PSEcon to get of its fossil fuel butt and install our netmeter. Four 2.0 Powerwalls maybe by November, just in time for power outages. Two days ago released our last ever fossil fuel Tacoma; just not in Tacoma (live near Tacoma, WA).

Hi Bruce.
1657990192555.gif

Ok, not sure why this is news, except it Elon. Kind of interesting….
So many words and a big lead up to the Russian just being asked to leave. Good article though.

OK, so this is a little off-topic, but hey, it's Saturday and the market is closed. Anyway, I stumbled across the Tesla Model S review I posted on the Chevy Volt forum (I owned one at the time) after I test drove one in December of 2013 (about 9 years ago). I am a classic car guy / gearhead and It was a favorable review of course and I noted how amazed I was that this was Tesla's first attempt at a Sedan and it was shockingly good, but I closed with this:

"Finally, I will say I was SAD about one thing. I can see Tesla simply not making it. When I drove the car, I realized the drive train (inc battery) is what makes this car, and it and virtually everything else can be duplicated by another car manufacturer (Audi, BMW. Mercedes, Cadillac, etc.). They can all build a nice luxury sedan and stick a fat battery and electric motor in there and then the most compelling argument for Tesla will start to evaporate. The only question is "will they?". They all seem to be headed to the plug-in hybrid space (which is fine), and the correspondingly smaller batteries they use will likely limit "full power" modes to those where the engine is running (not quite the same thing as the P85 experience)."

At that time, I never, and I mean NEVER would have imagined where the REST of the auto industry would be almost 9 years later. I mean honestly, real competitors (in terms of the cars) really only began arriving last year and this year. They include the Mustang Mach E, and the Korean triplets (EV6, Ioniq 5, GV60). There have been, and are, a few others that are nice, but suffer in some way or another (i.e. Polestar 2, ID.4, BMW i4, Volvo XC40, etc.) - usually with regards to efficiency, price, range, or whatever. GM, of course, managed to well "GM" their Volt and Bolt...

ALL of the other manufacturers, however, appear to be well behind in the manufacturing side of the equation...you know, the very thing they were supposed to be GOOD at and would eventually use to dominate the EV space. I mean yes, they are showing, IMO, they can build a decent EV (they all have faults, of course, including Tesla), but at what cost ( to manufacture)? They don't appear to have supply chains (batteries, etc.) lined up, they struggle with OTA updates (especially ones that can impact EVERY computerized function of the car vs. just infotainment), and don't get me started on the dealer and charging networks.
The dealer networks should of at least been good for guaranteeing service across the country, but instead NINE YEARS LATER you are still often relegated to "sorry, our lone 'EV' tech is out this week" types of experiences.

All of this would be bad enough for the rest of the auto industry had Tesla stood still or progressed slowly (i.e. the auto industry would still be production limited, have crappy battery supplies, etc.), BUT we all know Tesla DIDN'T stand still. They moved...and fast! While it SEEMS like the rest of the auto industry is catching up to Tesla (because SOME of these other EVs are, frankly, pretty darn good), they are where they should have been, IMO, around the time the Model 3 was announced or at least produced (from a product perspective) and before that from a "getting supplies and talent lined up" perspective.

Are there still entities that might have a chance (not so much to topple Tesla as to just successfully make money on EVs)? Sure. Heck, I think Ford and the Korean triplets look the most promising, but sheesh, what a game of catch-up.

Anyway, I know nothing I have posted here is news to those who frequent this forum, but when I stumbled upon this review today I felt like sharing some redundant Saturday observations. Cheers to the longs...

OK, so this is a little off-topic, but hey, it's Saturday and the market is closed. Anyway, I stumbled across the Tesla Model S review I posted on the Chevy Volt forum (I owned one at the time) after I test drove one in December of 2013 (about 9 years ago). I am a classic car guy / gearhead and It was a favorable review of course and I noted how amazed I was that this was Tesla's first attempt at a Sedan and it was shockingly good, but I closed with this:

"Finally, I will say I was SAD about one thing. I can see Tesla simply not making it. When I drove the car, I realized the drive train (inc battery) is what makes this car, and it and virtually everything else can be duplicated by another car manufacturer (Audi, BMW. Mercedes, Cadillac, etc.). They can all build a nice luxury sedan and stick a fat battery and electric motor in there and then the most compelling argument for Tesla will start to evaporate. The only question is "will they?". They all seem to be headed to the plug-in hybrid space (which is fine), and the correspondingly smaller batteries they use will likely limit "full power" modes to those where the engine is running (not quite the same thing as the P85 experience)."

At that time, I never, and I mean NEVER would have imagined where the REST of the auto industry would be almost 9 years later. I mean honestly, real competitors (in terms of the cars) really only began arriving last year and this year. They include the Mustang Mach E, and the Korean triplets (EV6, Ioniq 5, GV60). There have been, and are, a few others that are nice, but suffer in some way or another (i.e. Polestar 2, ID.4, BMW i4, Volvo XC40, etc.) - usually with regards to efficiency, price, range, or whatever. GM, of course, managed to well "GM" their Volt and Bolt...

ALL of the other manufacturers, however, appear to be well behind in the manufacturing side of the equation...you know, the very thing they were supposed to be GOOD at and would eventually use to dominate the EV space. I mean yes, they are showing, IMO, they can build a decent EV (they all have faults, of course, including Tesla), but at what cost ( to manufacture)? They don't appear to have supply chains (batteries, etc.) lined up, they struggle with OTA updates (especially ones that can impact EVERY computerized function of the car vs. just infotainment), and don't get me started on the dealer and charging networks.
The dealer networks should of at least been good for guaranteeing service across the country, but instead NINE YEARS LATER you are still often relegated to "sorry, our lone 'EV' tech is out this week" types of experiences.

All of this would be bad enough for the rest of the auto industry had Tesla stood still or progressed slowly (i.e. the auto industry would still be production limited, have crappy battery supplies, etc.), BUT we all know Tesla DIDN'T stand still. They moved...and fast! While it SEEMS like the rest of the auto industry is catching up to Tesla (because SOME of these other EVs are, frankly, pretty darn good), they are where they should have been, IMO, around the time the Model 3 was announced or at least produced (from a product perspective) and before that from a "getting supplies and talent lined up" perspective.

Are there still entities that might have a chance (not so much to topple Tesla as to just successfully make money on EVs)? Sure. Heck, I think Ford and the Korean triplets look the most promising, but sheesh, what a game of catch-up.

Anyway, I know nothing I have posted here is news to those who frequent this forum, but when I stumbled upon this review today I felt like sharing some redundant Saturday observations. Cheers to the longs...

I would put the Mach E in the latter category of EVs that have serious shortcomings. Hopefully Ford is learning from their mistakes. The F150 Lightning does seem to be a much better effort thus far.

I would put the Mach E in the latter category of EVs that have serious shortcomings. Hopefully Ford is learning from their mistakes. The F150 Lightning does seem to be a much better effort thus far.
I gave Ford bonus points for their OTA updates addressing more than just the Infotainment. Indeed, they just rolled out a "patch" around the contactor issue I think (not a "FIX", but a get you by until it can be fixed) and another patch to improve the touchy brakes. Admittedly, the "only 5 secs of full Power" on the GT models is an embarrassing gaff.
Conversely, the Korean triplets get points for their fast charging and decent range, but lose points for infotainment only OTA updates. The Koreans definitely look to be a threat on the product front. I still think they will struggle with all the items "beyond product".

So many words and a big lead up to the Russian just being asked to leave. Good article though.
If there’s an interesting part, I couldn’t bring myself to read that far.

I always wince at the WSJ’s knowing tones; “Those of us savvy enough (wink, nudge), know how a foolish rich guy like Musk is entirely out of his depth in the company of real professionals.”

I don’t know… Maybe at the end they tossed a bone to those who actually respect Musk.