Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The full history of Bitcoin at Tesla
Q1 : purch $1,500M, sold $262, book asset: $1,331
Q2 : book $1,311
Q3-Q4 : book $1,260
Q1 : book $1,261 (Doge?)
Q2 : sold $936 book $218
Total sold: $1,198
Current book asset value 218/17,708*23,200 = $286
Total value: $1,483M
Currently down $17 million.
Right. It's FUD to say that Tesla lost a ton of money on this. Now, whether it was smart or not is an entirely different discussion.

I wish they would have sold maybe half when it was at 60k per BTC but what do I know?

Ford to buy cheaper CATL EV batteries to catch Tesla

"Ford said it has now sourced about 70% of the battery capacity it needs to support its goal of building more than 2 million EVs worldwide by late 2026." 😆

"Ford's decision to use CATL's lithium iron phosphate batteries for the Mustang Mach-E starting next year, and the F-150 Lightning in 2024, marks a significant win for the Chinese battery maker, and a shift in U.S. marketing strategy for Ford. ..(Lithium-iron batteries typically deliver less driving range than comparable batteries that use nickel and cobalt, and until recently, automakers had stuck with more expensive nickel-cobalt chemistries for the U.S. market, where longer driving range is a key competitive measure.)"

"Ford said it is aiming for 8% pretax profit margins on its EVs by 2026. The company has said its EV business currently is not profitable. Even an 8% margin would be short of the 14.6% operating margin Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) reported Wednesday for the second quarter."
😂
Farley continues to impress me. WAIT... don't lynch me here. Not like Elon level of impressing, just actual competence.

He took over Ford in a tough time, right in the middle of a paradigm shift and he's doing about as well as can be expected for the captain of a ship which is taking on water and listing hard to port.

While I don't love the F150 Lightning, they are doing a good job positioning it as a work truck and LFP kind of works for a short range truck which would be appealing to a lot of contractors. Also, oddly enough, the Mach E is far more appealing than anything GM has cranked out. (Though the current recall will sting)

Ok by "Impress" what I really mean here is he's not failing as badly as the other legacy US auto executive is. Ford may just weather this paradigm shift after all.

Wonder how much this award cost Ford to purchase:

1658435657232.png

The nickel cells in the f150 get just 230 miles..
LFP packs can charge to 100%. A lot of contractors only drive 50-100 miles a day to job sites and for supplies. A 180 mile LFP F-150 Lightning they could charge to 100% every day would be just as good as a nickel based Lightning with 230 miles range which they could only charge to 80%.

I think it's a good fit.

LFP packs can charge to 100%. A lot of contractors only drive 50-100 miles a day to job sites and for supplies. A 180 mile LFP F-150 Lightning they could charge to 100% every day would be just as good as a nickel based Lightning with 230 miles range which they could only charge to 80%.

I think it's a good fit.
LFP is lower density, not ideal for 6k-7k lb vehicles with varied workloads like towing and hauling. This is whhy Tesla did not push the CT until a higher density cell was developed and matured.

The "value" of our $20B in cash went down $1.8B in the last twelve months. Doing nothing is expensive. Elon isn't done with BTC.

Yes, that cash sitting there is eroding. US dollar strength (ie, rate increases) can only go on for so long due to the amount of debt. So US cash is king right now. I don't know if it is 3, 6, 9, 12 months but the money printer has no choice but to go brrrr again. It is basic math when you have a fiat/debt based system. They always end this way...brrrrbrrrbrrr. It just a matter of when. The hour is getting late.

I agree. Elon and Master of Coin aren't even close to finished with BTC.

I think it's a good fit.
I think LFSs are under appreciated in general. For the very reason you point out.

Reactions: Ogre and navguy12