Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

CFE323D0-91F5-4B6A-817C-57190364E823.gif

Last edited:
View attachment 843822

Oh look they've changed the headline :) Its The Telegraph by the way

View attachment 843824
Shockingly no mention of Autopilot. I guess that would be tough since the Tesla in question was parked (maybe charging). Maybe they used Autopark?

(For the pedants in the crowd... you can file this collision under the category of Ashok lied; the Tesla did not avoid this collision).

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 11.48.53 AM.png

Last edited:
Aaannndd.. The chickens have come home to roost.

Failure of management to see past their collective noses, willfully or otherwise. They could have started investing in BEVs a decade or more ago. Tesla was reporting how they were doing; it wasn't made up, it wasn't a fraud, and the HQ building is nominally full of people who can read a balance sheet, evaluate a company, and see which way it could go.

Had anybody put two and two together, they could have then put money into the R&D budget. They could even have raised capital with stock. Or loans. Or cut back on dividends, in preparation for the on-coming storm. They could have arrived now with a smoother transition.

But, no: Ostrich style, they put their heads into the ground. Failure of management.
Likely a common flaw of Ford's (typical) Operating Agreement where the governing bylaws force corporations to be short-sighted for profit only. And this stems from a lack of having a good mission in the first place. The "Innovator's Dilemma" book has been brought up here many times, and it's a trap for sure. If you search google for "Ford Innovator's Dilemma" you get several snapshots in time, back to 2016 on one, where they were going to "disrupt themselves" with automation and mobility solutions. Never panned out.

TSLA has been drifting down over the past 5 trading days at fairly low volumes.
If we get through tomorrow and Wednesday with no sign of covering rally, does that invalidate all the naked-short manipulation theories that were floating around here ?!?

ps: Paging @Artful Dodger for input on this...

The 2020 Split was a surprise sprung on the Market on Aug 11, and in effect on Aug 31. The 2022 Split was pre-announced on Mar 28, then announced with the AGM, then voted on, and we're still waiting for Aug 25.

I predicted a +20% covering rally after the news broke in March. We've done that twice and back since then. The Market hates surprises, not surprising they're loving this.

TSLA has been drifting down over the past 5 trading days at fairly low volumes.
If we get through tomorrow and Wednesday with no sign of covering rally, does that invalidate all the naked-short manipulation theories that were floating around here ?!?

ps: Paging @Artful Dodger for input on this...
So I’ll connect a couple of dots.

Low volume recently - so this is a coordinated venture amongst the power players of WallStreet. The big dogs sent word down to the middle sized dogs, who sent word down to the little dogs - cease and desist until we’ve unwound our short positions on TSLA.

Drifting down you mention is true but on the whole TSLA has been out performing the market. Indeed, TSLA has been showing strength relative to most as a result of the covering that’s been taking place. Outperforming again today.

Today’s chart was a bit choppy early then it was a very organized, gentle climb until 871ish, where it was then pushed down again, then another shorter climb, then down again, and now up. They’re getting a bit impatient as the day starts to tick by and time runs out.

TSLA chart looks nothing like any other, least of all the NAZ or S&P which have been on a steady decline all day.

It’s full on manipulation all day long, every day. Whatever makes them money.

If FSD costs $30k by the time its ready for me to sit in the back seat, will anyone but taxi-like businesses even consider this?
Don't worry. When the FSD price gets too high it will be split into two levels. One that includes robotaxi driving and one cheaper for non-commercial use only.

If you really want to buy it though you might want to hurry up. In a few years Tesla is likely to stop selling FSD and go to subscription only.

I'm thinking volume has been low for a week because the usual shorters are scared to play their game in front of the upcoming split. So days like today that we're down 2-3% on low volume would be more like down 5-6% on high volume in a regular time period.

I think today could be a bear trap - I'm still expecting a little pop before the split and then a sell the news on Friday.

The 2020 Split was a surprise sprung on the Market on Aug 11, and in effect on Aug 31. The 2022 Split was pre-announced on Mar 28, then announced with the AGM, then voted on, and we're still waiting for Aug 25.

I predicted a +20% covering rally after the news broke in March. We've done that twice and back since then. The Market hates surprises, not surprising they're loving this.

On March 28th, TSLA closed at $1091.84. Lemme grab a calculator: 1091.84 * 1.2 = 1310.21
Hmmm. Not seeing the 20% rise let alone twice and back there...

Or did you mean twice-back, i.e. 20% drop twice ? That would be 1091.84 * 0.8 *0.8 = 698.77
Yeah, we have been there since March, but I would not call that a covering rally. ;)

While I certainly agree FSD is getting better (I have the beta), there comes a point where I'd struggle to pay so much money in reliance on a future regulatory approval. $15k is a ton of money to spend to sit in the driver seat and oversee the latest iteration of FSD. If I get t-boned 1 day after buying the car and FSD, that software "license" is gone. If FSD costs $30k by the time its ready for me to sit in the back seat, will anyone but taxi-like businesses even consider this?

I think the market outside of this board wants to see FSD revenues being booked come quarterly earnings updates. All of us know where this will eventually end up, but for the rest of the short sided analyst community, it's all about near term earnings and profit margins.
But short term ongoing profits and improving margins are continually being ignored by the market, because the market still can't comprehend a simple balance sheet or comprehending of said balance sheet does not make profit for their business.

Shockingly no mention of Autopilot. I guess that would be tough since the Tesla in question was parked (maybe charging). Maybe they used Autopark?

(For the pedants in the crowd... you can file this collision under the category of Ashok lied; the Tesla did not avoid this collision).

View attachment 843836

Still more operational stalls than at Electrify America

You clicked on it, didn't you? That's all that matters. They got your attention which leads to more revenue for them.

Want better? Stop giving attention and money to them.

Sounds good, but my telepathic powers are a bit lacking in the news department. :) Besides, I don't even have to click on many of them to see typos and tabloid clickbait in the headlines themselves.

Reactions: JRP3
That had nothing implied with individual share ownership. The only thing that suggests is that similar factors might be influencing both individual behavior and stock market behavior. In short, they've observed a slight statistical correlation. Even the article implies no causality, Nor even any any individual share purchasing behavior correlating with consumer purchasing power.
There are arguments on whether the "wealth effect" is real when it comes to stocks, but definitely has more evidence of it being real with rising home equity. We got both in a very short amount of time which definitely contributes some sort of inflation caused by spending. It's not hard to find deflationary action after the market crash such as that from the .com bubble and then the financial crisis.

Not to mention....takes them down a few notches on Fraudsumer Reports as well.
Also proves how dangerous charging stations are. Why would anyone buy an EV and then risk their life charging where cars come literally flying through. This need a follow up by the WSJ on the dangers of EV ownership and why Hydrogen Fuel Cells are so much safer.