Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I heard that the World Economic Forum said “You will own nothing and you will be happy”, but I didn’t hear what they said about people owning nothing in their retirement accounts and being happy about it.
If I didn’t laugh I’d cry - hence my choice of reaction. But Tesla is my overall growth hedge…long term. We are ~1 yr out from living off retirement accounts.

Reactions: bkp_duke
I think this sub misses how absolutely hated Elon and tesla are by large chunks of people.

Rightly or not its a substantial thing
Yes, and Apple is hated by most android users. In 2019, it was ranked #1 as the most hated brand. As long as Elon doesn't sleep with a young child or break any laws, I think it's fine to be hated. That just means the brand evokes emotion which is very sticky for those who loves Tesla.

Tesla already has an all-encompassing patent deal. Have they made exceptions to it? I seriously doubt they will make an exception for Ford’s stupid tailgate which is exactly the sort of nonsense patent Musk mocks.

And what exactly is the point of having a patent policy published if you are going to make exceptions to everyone who uses your patents?
Tesla has never said they wouldn't let others use their charging standard and they wouldn't say that. Why are you arguing this? The patents that would cover Tesla's charging standard would be released to anyone who wanted to follow specific rules outlining usage of the Tesla charging standard, not a blanket patent free for all that is contemplated in the overall policy you are referring to that encompasses ALL of Tesla's patents. This is just common business sense and having an overall patent policy doesn't preclude the free licensing of a small subset of those patents on different terms. And the terms would likely be non-onerous and fair because Tesla WANTS others to use their standard. This would help accelerate the mission.

Yes, and Apple is hated by most android users. In 2019, it was ranked #1 as the most hated brand. As long as Elon doesn't sleep with a young child or break any laws, I think it's fine to be hated. That just means the brand evokes emotion which is very sticky for those who loves Tesla.

As Elon tweeted today...
Screenshot_20221102-125404.png

Tesla has never said they wouldn't let others use their charging standard and they wouldn't say that. Why are you arguing this? The patents that would cover Tesla's charging standard would be released to anyone who wanted to follow specific rules outlining usage of the Tesla charging standard, not a blanket patent free for all that is contemplated in the overall policy you are referring to that encompasses ALL of Tesla's patents. This is just common business sense and having an overall patent policy doesn't preclude the free licensing of a small subset of those patents on different terms. And the terms would likely be non-onerous and fair because Tesla WANTS others to use their standard. This would help accelerate the mission.
I’d love to be wrong about this.

I’m arguing about it because this is my understanding of the situation, not because it’s some dogmatic belief of mine.

Is there some carve-out for their charging technology in their patent policy? If so, where?

I’d just assumed that their charging patents were covered under their global patent policy. If there is some carve out, fantastic. But I don’t think there is a carve out. Please share, I’d love to be wrong here.

Or are you talking about some hypothetical future?

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
If I didn’t laugh I’d cry - hence my choice of reaction. But Tesla is my overall growth hedge…long term. We are ~1 yr out from living off retirement accounts.
Wishing you all the best! Q4 and beyond should be wonderful, but Wall Street couldn’t be happy if we all did well riding the next wave. So now instead of moving the goal posts they are moving the starting line as far back as possible and grabbing shares from anyone forced to sell in the process before they let that race begin.

Last edited:
What I am seeing today in some disbelief is this administration’s own Fed Chair giving all his support to mobilizing a Red Wave of voters that care more about their jobs and savings than they care about pronouns while the Dems are at the other end of the hall throwing everything they can think of to stop it. Literally their own appointee is sinking all of their midterm hopes with every sentence he mutters. Thus I am interested in TMC’s opinions whether today’s Fed move has a deeper implication that justifies the old saying that Wall Street is happiest when there is no overwhelming majority control of DC so they can make money while we are all seeing gridlock and a justification for no ability to change?

I think this sub misses how absolutely hated Elon and tesla are by large chunks of people.

Rightly or not its a substantial thing

Elon hate is not substantial enough to prevent Tesla from their blazing growth rate and STILL being able to sell every car they produce. Remember, in 2017, before Elon told off the woke dems, before he tweeted "funding secured" and "pedo guy", and before he sold a single share of stock and suggested he would let Trump back on twitter, plenty of people said Tesla was going to run out of demand for EV's, no one wants them, it's a tiny market. Now, millions want a Tesla, even after two years of price raises, Elon tweets and Elon stock sales. Elon has more Twitter followers than ever. Even small children love Elon.

The investor in me sees that people are over-estimating how much other people are like them. They think that because Elon has deeply offended in them in some way that he must be deeply offending everyone. But they fail to see just how many people he is winning over on a daily basis. The Tesla brand is stronger than ever and that's largely because of Elon, not in spite of him. Ideally, investors are able to keep their personal biases out of investment analyses.

Powell’d
Collectively the FOMC put into writing a slightly more dovish stance than previously held. Then with spoken words the Fed chairman tried to somewhat walk that back by emphasizing the need to keep fighting inflation. I see that as the type of Fedspeak known as "Moral Suasion", aka Jawboning, which Fed officials see as part of their mandate. Their ideal would be to cool expectations of inflation, which if not cooled could exacerbate inflation. I see that as the Fed chairman's intention during his news conference.

In reality, I suspect that internally the Fed chairman’s outlook is not so hawkish. I would not be surprised if the FOMC's interest rate targets start to slow and reverse sooner than the Fed chairman’s words may have suggested. In any event, the market took his spoken words as negatives.

What I am seeing today in some disbelief is this administration’s own Fed Chair giving all his support to mobilizing a Red Wave of voters that care more about their jobs and savings than they care about pronouns while the Dems are at the other end of the hall throwing everything they can think of to stop it. Literally their own appointee is sinking all of their midterm hopes with every sentence he mutters. Thus I am interested in TMC’s opinions whether today’s Fed move has a deeper implication that justifies the old saying that Wall Street is happiest when there is no overwhelming majority control of DC so they can make money while we are all seeing gridlock and a justification for no ability to change?

We'll know for sure one week from today.

But something tells me people just want someone to blame or something to complain about.
Thanks for the insight. I believe it's called victim mentality and there's not a simple fix.

"A victim mentality is where you often feel like a victim, even when the evidence says otherwise. Signs include frequently blaming others and having trouble accepting personal responsibility."

BTW, It was great meeting you @StealthP3D and the others as well!

Collectively the FOMC put into writing a slightly more dovish stance than previously held. Then with spoken words the Fed chairman tried to somewhat walk that back by emphasizing the need to keep fighting inflation. I see that as the type of Fedspeak known as "Moral Suasion", aka Jawboning, which Fed officials see as part of their mandate. Their ideal would be to cool expectations of inflation, which if not cooled could exacerbate inflation. I see that as the Fed chairman's intention during his news conference.

In reality, I suspect that internally the Fed chairman’s outlook is not so hawkish. I would not be surprised if the FOMC's interest rate targets start to slow and reverse sooner than the Fed chairman’s words may have suggested. In any event, the market took his spoken words as negatives.
This is correct. Prior to the meeting, interest rate futures were sitting at a 50% chance of a 75bps increase in dec. This chance has now lowered to 43%.

Elon hate is not substantial enough to prevent Tesla from their blazing growth rate and STILL being able to sell every car they produce.
Right now no, for 2030? And wanting 1/4 of the whole car maket? who knows.

He's busy trying to piss off as many people as possible.

oh my mistake I forgot only positive news/views in here is allowed.

Last edited: