Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think Tesla’s “open source” patent deal is selective.

Tesla agrees to let people use their patents provided the other party doesn’t sue them for patent infringement. That’s the deal. Whether Tesla wants access to Ford’s patent or not is irrelevant. If Ford were to use Tesla’s charging tech, they would lose the ability to enforce their patents against Tesla.

It doesn’t matter how much Tesla values Ford’s patents, what matters is how valuable Ford management thinks their patent portfolio is as a competitive tool.

Tesla is not bound to have only one, all-encompassing patent deal. Don't be silly.

🙋‍♂️ Folks I am available to take over as CEO of Tesla.

Engineer

Alpha enough

Neurodivergent

Willing to post memes all day.

Basically you won't notice a difference from the current CEO.
Close, very close. But a big hammer is required and your hammer is small…

(Not so subtle Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog reference)

Whoa... Petro Canada, 50 cents per minute charging, about 2x current levels. :oops:
Better consider a Tesla instead?

It will not shock me in the slightest to learn that Tesla can run a Supercharging network more efficiently and cheaper than anyone else. I expect many bankruptcies, mergers and price hikes in this area in the next couple of years leaving Tesla in an even more dominant position.

Tesla is not bound to have only one, all-encompassing patent deal. Don't be silly.
Tesla already has an all-encompassing patent deal. Have they made exceptions to it? I seriously doubt they will make an exception for Ford’s stupid tailgate which is exactly the sort of nonsense patent Musk mocks.

And what exactly is the point of having a patent policy published if you are going to make exceptions to everyone who uses your patents?

Close, very close. But a big hammer is required and your hammer is small…

(Not so subtle Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog reference)
Yeah, having the conviction, desire, and ruthlessness to fire people, even knowing some decisions are going to be mistakes, is also a rare talent.

Incidentally, by the time I was 26, I had been fired from two jobs. Both, in my opinion at the time, unjustified. As horrible as both times felt, I learned a lot from them but it also put a ginormous chip on my shoulder when I started my own company. I was going to be successful, gosh darn it, and show those f*cking idiots where they could stuff their stupid decisions. So, more than just learning, it gave me more motivation than anything else in the world ever could. So, thank you, you pieces of dogs*it, you actually helped me in the end :)

Last edited:
It will not shock me in the slightest to learn that Tesla can run a Supercharging network more efficiently and cheaper than anyone else. I expect many bankruptcies, mergers and price hikes in this area in the next couple of years leaving Tesla in an even more dominant position.
Hard to believe it won't be sooner rather than later. I don't know how many times I've seen people talking about EA or others giving out free charging as an apology for crap service. Where it isn't free it's cheaper than the SC network which suggests they are losing money as well.

Reactions: Cosmacelf
The market isn’t afraid of anything. That’s an *excuse* it uses to increase money making churn. The market CREATES the fear. The market also CREATES the uncertainty. The market CREATES the doubt.

Stop falling for the game and repeating the market’s narratives. Be Lucy, not Charlie.
The market and those in it make money on uncertainty, so their product is uncertainty, and the profits are based on these gyrations. Tesla makes cars, batteries, software, and other products which are sold for a profit. (btw where are the roof tiles and when will there be an oem option KBB, toll bros, etc )

Going to expand on this a tiny bit and forgive me for dragging the A word into the conversation.

Apple under Steve Jobs was quite similar. Though Jobs never got into the nuts and bolts of engineering the way Musk does, he was deeply involved in the design side of things and was quite good at finding good director/ C level managers under him that had a similar style to his own. Jobs was quite good at picking which "Arrows" to put their efforts behind and committing to those efforts. So perhaps this style is a bit more repeatable than I first assumed. Though much like Musk, Jobs was a founder and had a lot of support from the board.

Seems like the formula is: A manager who is deeply committed to the company. Has extremely judgement about product and is willing to exercise that judgement ruthlessly. Is willing to ignore outside opinions. Has the support of the board even when things seem to be going sideways.
If that's the case, I hope that Forstall's equivalent is behind us.

Not only is 20 seconds to 60 mph blazingly fast for a fully loaded semi, it's also considerably faster than President Reagan's 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance limo (23.5 sec.) and faster than a 2011 Smart Fortwo Electric Drive car by Daimler AG with only a driver inside (22.4 sec.) and even faster than a 2008 International Prostar Limited (Semi Truck without a trailer or any load at 24.2 sec.). That's right, the Tesla Semi with the maximum legal load can accelerate faster than the 2008 International Prostar Limited without a trailer or any load beyond the driver.
The semi without a trailer can most likely outrun many Camrys.

Reactions: Ogre and scaesare
There have been articles, recently too showing Tesla's advantage with chargers, fyi.

Damn, as JPow speaks *sugar* just goes red red red...

Reactions: bkp_duke and stef
Doing my part for Q4. The TLDR is that I need the 6klb gross vehicle weight tax deduction this year so it's a win/win. Car might be part time on Turo (TBD) so I'm hoping I can grab an inventory LR instead to facilitate that. Watching the inventory tracker site very closely.

1667414503715.png

Doing my part for Q4. The TLDR is that I need the 6klb gross vehicle weight tax deduction this year so it's a win/win. Car might be part time on Turo (TBD) so I'm hoping I can grab an inventory LR instead to facilitate that. Watching the inventory tracker site very closely.

View attachment 870322

See if you can get one of the Dec 2022 batches of the Semi. 🤣

I would kill to see that thing on Turo!

Completely dumbassery. 2% is not possible as long as there is a war in Europe and energy prices are so volatile.
We also have a massive push to onshore manufacturing, IRA, chips etc. With an already tight job market that spells even more inflationary pressure. We need to bring in more workers unless we want to just decimate the economy. Fingers crossed.

We also have a massive push to onshore manufacturing, IRA, chips etc. With an already tight job market that spells even more inflationary pressure. We need to bring in more workers unless we want to just decimate the economy. Fingers crossed.

No one in Congress seems to want to really solve the labor issue. They just want to point fingers.

I would not be surprised if this time next year we are talking about "Wonder when stagflation will end".

Hard to believe it won't be sooner rather than later. I don't know how many times I've seen people talking about EA or others giving out free charging as an apology for crap service. Where it isn't free it's cheaper than the SC network which suggests they are losing money as well.
Agree. But riddle me this…how in the world is hydrogen not gonna see ridiculous bankruptcies. Toyota giving customers 5 years of free hydrogen is insane to me.

So compared to that the EA and Ionity networks look like gold mines.