Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am pretty sure the ceo of Lockheed did not try to litigate the payment issue on Twitter.
But even if he had, there would probably have been less of a firestorm because guess what… he is not the richest man in the world.
Most people are looking for excuses to justify hating a billionaire and Elon is just handing those out on Twitter.
People who cant tell the difference is a problem with these people. People who believes Elon is working 120hrs a wk due to greed are the type of people who justify their lack of accomplishment due to not wanting to be greedy. Whatever makes people feel better while sensible people fully appreciate and understand Elon.

Survey shows 80% of people believes Elon is a positive force for society..that just leaves the crazy 10% from both sides huh. Time to clean house on twitter!

This thread is becoming the Twitter thread again. One of those is more than enough (and more than a sane person can handle). Take it there. I’m going to start wielding the axe again.
But even though they're Twitter related doesn't mean they're not quality posts that members invested time and thought in writing. As such I implore you to move them to the Elon/Twitter thread instead of just deleting them.

YOU-KNOW-WHO: It's probably better you stop stirring the pot and telling - or even gently suggesting - what Moderators should or shouldn't do. When I figure out how to charge all of you $8/month for this otherwise free speech, then and only then might I consider revising the prior statement.
In the meantime, ALL should realize that the penalty for "investing time and thought in writing" O/T posts - ESPECIALLY ones concerning a topic that time and again all have been explicitly told is out of bounds....is straight-up deletion, without Moderators carrying your water for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
*sugar*. Did I miss the point where tesla achieved production capacity exceeding sales?

Edit: I’m also fairly confident that we are rapidly approaching the point tesla doesn’t need to sell cars because not only will they be able to provide robo taxi services but they will be able to finance their own fleet by selling <2/3rds of their production given their current margins. After FSD take rate goes up when it’s complete that’ll move closer to <1/2
This is what I’m thinking too

I think Elon is so confident about FSD that he’s not worried about future car sales. He knows that people will take a robotaxis if it offer’s extremely more value. When it comes to that people could care less about the CEO’s behaviour on Twitter.

Elon sees robotaxis in the very near future. I don’t think it’s coincidence that he decided to buy Twitter now. He’s that confident Tesla will do fine no matter what.

Back to stock value expectations. I think P/E will stagnate or worse, continue to erode until more than one of the following are available and have positive reception...
(1) FSD for all payees that works far, FAR better than the Beta test SW,
(2) Cybertruck volume shipments enthusiastically received.
(3) Semi shipping to > more than the soft drink folks and truckers jacked & pumped.
Bot is years in the future but could have an enormous impact if it works commercially and affordably this decade.
Working in the factory will get US excited but we are not the stock market.

This is what I’m thinking too

I think Elon is so confident about FSD that he’s not worried about future car sales. He knows that people will take a robotaxis if it offer’s extremely more value. When it comes to that people could care less about the CEO’s behaviour on Twitter.

Elon sees robotaxis in the very near future. I don’t think it’s coincidence that he decided to buy Twitter now. He’s that confident Tesla will do fine no matter what.
My bold above.
Elon in September 2019 saw Starship orbital launch by year end 2019...and every year thereafter. Color me skeptical about robotaxis "real soon now".

My bold above.
Elon in September 2019 saw Starship orbital launch by year end 2019...and every year thereafter. Color me skeptical about robotaxis "real soon now".
I honestly think that we are very close. The system is at dumb human and the time to smart human with AI progression is very short.

I don’t think you can compare the two. He had a goal of Starship orbital launch. He currently sees fsd as a solved problem in the near future.

Last edited:
I honestly think that we are very close. The system is at dumb human and the time to smart human with AI progression is very short.

I don’t think you can compare the two. He had a goal of Starship orbital launch. He currently sees fsd as a solves problem in the near future.
I disagree. Starship to orbit will occur years before FSD for robotaxis.
Back to product releases that will help stock P/E next year or two.

Yes, that is my best guess... everyone, and I mean everyone wants to see it,touch it,
Ride in it.. etc. Oh boy our Christmas party was something. About 40 people watching the light show. That might have been the drop that overflowed the glass.
There's the possibility she doesn't want to come off as ostentatious and the focus on a luxury material item makes her uncomfortable.

I've seen some of the other comments ascribing less flattering motives to her... until unavoidable I'd prefer to give my spouse the benefit of the doubt that the motivation/intent may be a good one.

Great answers and yes, it was her best friend and sister who said "Why aren't you driving a Tesla? You have solar.. just do it" Those discussions were in front of her, she never said anything negative about Elon or Tesla until I pulled into the driveway and the kids came out and started loving the car!
Everyone has their own opinion on this and there are some good suggestions...always remember one thing:

IT'S CHEAPER TO KEEP HER :)

You and I are reading the same verbiage VERY differently.

I'm sticking with my CPA's interpretation, he's never been wrong for me.

Yes, we are. Either they are wrong (first time for everything), or my ability to parse is broken (if so, I would really like to know in what way).

Final contribution to this in this thread in the hopes no one ends up on the wrong side of taxes or the IRS:
Two cases and the IRS guidelines:

Case where the CPA was wrong as regards 475:

Tax Notes Research

In April 2001 Mr. Kohli filed an election to use the mark-to-market accounting method for the 2000 taxable year
as well as a request for an automatic extension of time to file the return for 2000. He also filed a request for a private letter ruling that he made a late but effective election of the mark-to-market accounting method for 2000.

Mark-to-Market Election Procedures

Respondent asserts that Mr. Kohli's mark-to-market election was not timely. The Commissioner has set forth the procedures for making a mark-to-market election. See Rev. Proc. 99-17, 1999-1 C.B. 503. A taxpayer must file a statement electing the mark-to-market accounting method no later than the due date for the tax return for the year immediately preceding the election year. Id. sec. 5.03, 1999-1 C.B. at 504-505. This statement must be attached to that return or to a request for an extension of time to file that return. Id. Mr. Kohli was therefore required to make an election for 2000 by April 17, 2000, the due date of the Federal income tax return for 1999, the year preceding the year in which the election was to be effective. Here, Mr. Kohli did not make the election for 2000 until April 27, 2001, over 12 months late.

Applicability of the Substantial Compliance Doctrine

Mr. Kohli admits not filing the mark-to-market election with the return for 1999 but cites the "substantial compliance doctrine" to validate his election.

The regulations changed in 1999
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/rp-99-17.pdf
Elections effective for a taxable year beginning on or after January 1, 1999 .
(1) General procedure . Except as provided in section 5.03(2) of this revenue procedure, for a taxpayer to make a § 475(e) or (f) election that is effective for a taxable year beginning on or after January 1, 1999, the taxpayer must file a statement that satisfies the requirements in section 5.04 of this revenue procedure. The statement must be filed not later than the due date (without regard to extensions) of the original federal income tax return for the taxable year immediately preceding the election year and must be attached either to that return or, if applicable, to a request for an extension of time to file that return.

Another case:
Tax Notes Research
Taxpayers represent that they intended to make a mark-to-market election for Year 2. However, Taxpayers failed to make a timely § 475(f)(1) election, which was due by the due date of the federal income tax return for the taxable year preceding the year of change, without regard to extensions. In this case the election for Year 2 was due on Date 4. Husband asserts that he mistakenly assumed that the election could be made on their Year 2 Return. Husband claims he was unaware that the election had to be made by the due date (without regard to any extension) of the tax return for the taxable year preceding the year of change. Husband states that he did not discover this error until Year 3, when he began preparing Taxpayers' Year 2 Return.

Folks, take a moment to watch some 10.69.3 videos like the latest from Omar and Kim (I took a few too many notes with timestamps so you can easily see highlights, areas of improvement, reasoning why and how to possibly fix)

TL-DR; It is becoming pretty clear that wide release is imminent.

You know... putting aside the 1000 year gaff, given that Cali and Europe are banning ICE in 2035 it's not like any legacy has a choice to go EV do they? Thus I don't get this hoopla crap, they all are forced to pivot regardless anyways.
If I was a betting man I would say the goal posts will be moved at least twice again