Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
100 will be crossed, that what my stomach says.
HODL and take care of your sofa.
If we do cross 100, (and our intestines are in agreement!) I expect to see a very shocking crash to beyond what most think could happen, followed by an equally sharp snap back to just short of 100, which will then be acting as resistance. I'd like to think that good Q4 numbers and earnings will break through and see us on our way back towards 200, but we'll just have to hold tight and wait and see.

One year ago my most pessimistic planning when testing my retirement plans couldn't get close to imagining being back down here, I wouldn't have even thought an earthquake taking out Fremont would have done it, but that was before T******! :(

Last edited:
Not a great year. What started out so promising has turned into a disaster. Longest losing streak of the year, and the most games (9) below 0.500 all year. Yikes. Not a lot of time to turn things around, but on the bright side, it is setting up 2023 to be a good year (hard to get worse!). Volume has been insane the last 10 sessions, almost 50% higher than the average. It's also trading in a much lower band each day, mostly because the price is lower and it has been just been going down and none of the wild swings from a nice positive gain to crummy negative one.

Today
Close:109.10
Margin of W/L:-14.05
Volume:198,600,018
High - Low:10.91
Close/52 week high:27.1%
Season
Record:119-1280.482
Total margin of wins:915.57
Total margin of losses:-1,158.73
YTD gain/loss:-243.16-90.6%
Best Win:47.67Jan 3
Worst Loss:-40.53Apr 26
Last 10:1-9
Streak:L7
Avg margin of victory:7.69
Avg margin of defeat:-9.05
Avg Volume:108,561,192
Avg Volume of Last 10:150,792,414
Avg High - Low:14.17
Avg H - L of Last 10:10.15

If Tesla turned on all of those spigots and were selling their vehicles in anything like the fashion the rest of the industry, does anybody doubt the reckless unit growth we'd see? (not a typo :p)

My concern if Tesla turned on all of those spigots is how it would be a benefit only as long as the max output of the product spigot is not exceed.

If that happens, Tesla is back to raising prices to shorten wait time.

This price action is compounded by Shorts knowing that selling will continue through early this week for tax reasons, etc. @AudubonB mentioned this a couple weeks ago regarding the potential of Elon and others selling for their charitable contributions. These accounts must sell 5% of the value of their holdings (that is the value of the account on January 1st of this year). On a microscopic level we are in the same boat. We started a foundation a couple years ago with the concept of tithing to the community instead of to a church with a portion of our TSLA sales for living expenses on the way up. We have primarily given environmental & science scholarships and to the Food Banks, and local community support organizations. This year will be no different with our gifting, however this year we will take an Off the Top Rope - Elbow to the Head from Wall Street Randy Savage because I waited until the end of the year to sell, and the account is 100% TSLA. So we are unfortunately selling about 20% of the value of the account now to meet the criteria of 5% at the beginning of the year. This is tough, because it will effect the sustainability of giving many future scholarships. And because the Foundation was a very sincere effort for us, one that took much more effort and time than we would have ever imagined to give away a comparatively small amount of money. Wall Street doesn't care who gets crushed to get what they want. In the near term they will be crushing kids from a lower income community that might not have the chance to go to college otherwise. And they will be reducing the capacity for Food Bank donations when people need it more than any time in recent history.

But we don't make the rules of the game, we just try to figure out how to do our best and stay on the field as long as possible. Wise or not, this year's strategy is to sell and give accordingly, and then leverage our personal brokerage accounts buying power at today's prices to add enough shares on margin to supplement the lost 15% in the Foundation as the TSLA tide turns. It will cost us the interest out of our own pocket to get there, but the look on the students faces at the scholarship banquet, and the excitement from the Food Bank manager for the continued gifting makes it all worth while. And per @Ogre question regarding TA/Gap/etc..........I have previously posted that my personal opinion is that if we can hold this key point through the end of the year that we will be on the positive side of 200 again relatively quickly IMO. The last time we saw all stocks trading like this was of course 2008/2009, and it took about 1-2 months to get a similarly proportional rebound on the DJI that would take TSLA over 200. And it took about 2 years to return to previous highs, but that was the entire weighted DOW. Not TSLA with the IRA and other catalysts behind it. I am willing to eat a couple months of interest to refill the Foundation coffers,

Have all sofa been cleared of change? On these kind of days I usually see posts of people buying. Today nobody.
I would reply with my .02 cents, but I already found that $ last week in the sofa.
Good news, we had to take care of a friend's dog last week, who peed all over one of the sofas. We can't get rid of the smell, so new sofa coming.

Not a great year. What started out so promising has turned into a disaster. Longest losing streak of the year, and the most games (9) below 0.500 all year. Yikes. Not a lot of time to turn things around, but on the bright side, it is setting up 2023 to be a good year (hard to get worse!). Volume has been insane the last 10 sessions, almost 50% higher than the average. It's also trading in a much lower band each day, mostly because the price is lower and it has been just been going down and none of the wild swings from a nice positive gain to crummy negative one.

Today
Close:109.10
Margin of W/L:-14.05
Volume:198,600,018
High - Low:10.91
Close/52 week high:27.1%
Season
Record:119-1280.482
Total margin of wins:915.57
Total margin of losses:-1,158.73
YTD gain/loss:-243.16-90.6%
Best Win:47.67Jan 3
Worst Loss:-40.53Apr 26
Last 10:1-9
Streak:L7
Avg margin of victory:7.69
Avg margin of defeat:-9.05
Avg Volume:108,561,192
Avg Volume of Last 10:150,792,414
Avg High - Low:14.17
Avg H - L of Last 10:10.15
119-128 record?

That's unbelievable. It feels like it should be 50-197.

This price action is compounded by Shorts knowing that selling will continue through early this week for tax reasons, etc. @AudubonB mentioned this a couple weeks ago regarding the potential of Elon and others selling for their charitable contributions. These accounts must sell 5% of the value of their holdings (that is the value of the account on January 1st of this year). On a microscopic level we are in the same boat. We started a foundation a couple years ago with the concept of tithing to the community instead of to a church with a portion of our TSLA sales for living expenses on the way up. We have primarily given environmental & science scholarships and to the Food Banks, and local community support organizations. This year will be no different with our gifting, however this year we will take an Off the Top Rope - Elbow to the Head from Wall Street Randy Savage because I waited until the end of the year to sell, and the account is 100% TSLA. So we are unfortunately selling about 20% of the value of the account now to meet the criteria of 5% at the beginning of the year. This is tough, because it will effect the sustainability of giving many future scholarships. And because the Foundation was a very sincere effort for us, one that took much more effort and time than we would have ever imagined to give away a comparatively small amount of money. Wall Street doesn't care who gets crushed to get what they want. In the near term they will be crushing kids from a lower income community that might not have the chance to go to college otherwise. And they will be reducing the capacity for Food Bank donations when people need it more than any time in recent history.

But we don't make the rules of the game, we just try to figure out how to do our best and stay on the field as long as possible. Wise or not, this year's strategy is to sell and give accordingly, and then leverage our personal brokerage accounts buying power at today's prices to add enough shares on margin to supplement the lost 15% in the Foundation as the TSLA tide turns. It will cost us the interest out of our own pocket to get there, but the look on the students faces at the scholarship banquet, and the excitement from the Food Bank manager for the continued gifting makes it all worth while. And per @Ogre question regarding TA/Gap/etc..........I have previously posted that my personal opinion is that if we can hold this key point through the end of the year that we will be on the positive side of 200 again relatively quickly IMO. The last time we saw all stocks trading like this was of course 2008/2009, and it took about 1-2 months to get a similarly proportional rebound on the DJI that would take TSLA over 200. And it took about 2 years to return to previous highs, but that was the entire weighted DOW. Not TSLA with the IRA and other catalysts behind it. I am willing to eat a couple months of interest to refill the Foundation coffers,
Yes. I feel your pain. Ultimately, I decided to gift shares to my scholarship and charities (rather than the cash alternative). I really dislike rewarding bad behavior, but the cause is good. Next year I will not wait for the end of the year.

The tax loss harvesting applies to almost the ENTIRE market, with few exceptions. But then this, how do we explain this:

20221227 vOLUMES.jpg

Is ugly across the board. Even high flying Solar stocks that have been winners for the year got trashed today. NVDA big percentage loser. And yet all of these are below average in volume! Most around 60%. Slow holiday week.

Except for, of course...

This is painful. Day after day of falling share price, it's relentless.
If Tesla hits 420,000 deliveries for Q4, that will mean a 42% increase for 2022 over 2021.
How can a profitable business growing 42% have it's share price reduce 70% in the same year? It makes no sense. The stock is under attack.
To quote Jeff Bezos, the stock is not the company. Small consolation.

But all the financials point to a profitable company growing like no other, so I'm not selling because this nonsense will reverse at some point. It's inevitable.
It requires a strong nerve to see the light in such dark times. And this is not at all pleasant. I'm trying to be patient and so I'm doing nothing but wait. And the odd buy every so often.

Worst Xmas ever!

Did one of your family members fall ill? Did you become homeless? Did you lose a limb?

If not, then count your blessings. Remember that it’s just money and that you lose nothing if you don’t sell.

And the stock will go back to ATH again. It may take a while, but it will.

Or he did enough damage to the
Think he is talking about himself. Others tell him not to be the clown on the clown car, clown car being twitter. And he said it's too late.
Or the analogy that he did enough damage to the brand that it became a joke and it´s irreversible they have to separate him.
"The clown car" the obvious choice is Tesla, do we agree here?

Last edited: