Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Edward Jones just changed their rating of TSLA to BUY from hold, adding to Focus List.

EJ started to cover TSLA in Jan 2021 with a hold rating.

They didn't cover TSLA prior to that due to:
"Count Kate Warne, an Investment Strategist at Edward Jones, among the skeptics, at least for now. “We don’t follow Tesla. But part of the reason is, their debt’s junk-rated. We wouldn’t look at it until it becomes an investment grade. In general with companies, we’d look at the credit rating before we even look at other characteristics." - Quote from Jan 2019

Once the Q4 filings are in, hope Tesla get a re-rating from Moody's.

Sources: 2023 2021 2019

Last edited:
Auntie Cathie or Uncle Leo?

View attachment 892642

FluXPRBWAA8-uc2

Zounds! That's 51M shares in a single dark pool trade? Bill Gates covering?

...because pictures of text AREN'T searchable on TMC. Even if they're really important. :p

#KEYWORDS

Last edited:
Interesting, I was just on the Tesla site and it showed the same price for 5 and 7 seat y’s. Glitch or?? Also it showed 32 y’s available for delivery in Florida. That’s the most I’ve seen.
Yeah Model Y inventory appears to be growing rapidly, it was near 0 vehicles available in the US at the end of the year IIRC and now EV-CPO is showing over 500 new

Model 3 inventory is staying low

• Informative
Reactions: NooB_cat
Interesting. I'm not rushing to read the manual .... does it "require" or "advise" ? If the latter then that would absolutely make sense and it is good practice - all the industry studies are showing that inverters are getting much better MTBF if they are mounted either inside or in sun-shaded/rainproof areas (i.e. simply being below an array of solar panels will do). The last set of data I saw came out of one of the US nationa labs and they discuss the causal issues.

Personally I prefer to install inverters in cool non-inhabited spaces such as garages, and batteries outside but in well-sheltered locations. Both ideally relatively fireproof or at least not on inhabited structures. So in my own case for the 30 kWh SolarEdge system we are putting in at present the inverter goes in a brick-built garage and the batteries go on the outside of the brick wall, but in an area that is well shaded/sheltered.

So .... if you want an easy pick for a non-Tesla alternative, go SolarEdge. How much of the contents comes out of China I can't be sure.

I would absolutely not be as prejudiced about Chinese product versus so-called "quality" Western products as you are. One needs to be a bit more selective than that imho.
The manual says “Install the battery in a sheltered place or install an awning over it to avoid direct sunlight or rain”. Followed with an image showing a cross over an unprotected battery and and check mark over battery under an awning.
I agree that it’s a good idea to install it in a sheltered place, I just don’t have such place available, hence my focus on outdoor features.
Before I read the manual I already questioned the appropriateness of the design for outdoor use: it‘s a set of modules placed on top of each other with a bunch of electrical connections from one module to another. Doesn’t look sealed against water leaks to me. Powerwall looks nicely sealed though.
I got into the habit of reading manuals before I buy anything after having bought too much things that turned out not to be able to do what I bought it for. People think I’m crazy that I do that, but it gives me peace of mind.
So I also found out that the product only supports a TOU mode with fixed time windows for each tariff, and not the hourly changing spot market electricity pricing that I want to take advantage of. Although all hardware to enable that is there, that feature could potentially come with a software upgrade. I’m confident that if it was a Tesla product it would get such an update, with Huawei I’m not so sure. (My wife had a Huawei phone once, suffice it to say that we never bought another one).
The manual also contains a warning that the battery should be placed outside of the reach of children, and that it shouldn’t be placed where it can be easily touched because it can get hot during operation. Contrast this with the Tesla Powerwall site that says that the powerwall is pet- and child friendly without visible cables or hot ventilation vents.
All this just to say that there’s more than price/kWh storage that counts. Some people will appreciate the low price/kWh of the Chinese product, others will value the design features of the powerwall beyond just the price/kWh. I wouldn’t count Tesla out in this market, not in residential nor in the utility market.

The manual says “Install the battery in a sheltered place or install an awning over it to avoid direct sunlight or rain”. Followed with an image showing a cross over an unprotected battery and and check mark over battery under an awning.
I agree that it’s a good idea to install it in a sheltered place, I just don’t have such place available, hence my focus on outdoor features.
Before I read the manual I already questioned the appropriateness of the design for outdoor use: it‘s a set of modules placed on top of each other with a bunch of electrical connections from one module to another. Doesn’t look sealed against water leaks to me. Powerwall looks nicely sealed though.
I got into the habit of reading manuals before I buy anything after having bought too much things that turned out not to be able to do what I bought it for. People think I’m crazy that I do that, but it gives me peace of mind.
So I also found out that the product only supports a TOU mode with fixed time windows for each tariff, and not the hourly changing spot market electricity pricing that I want to take advantage of. Although all hardware to enable that is there, that feature could potentially come with a software upgrade. I’m confident that if it was a Tesla product it would get such an update, with Huawei I’m not so sure. (My wife had a Huawei phone once, suffice it to say that we never bought another one).
The manual also contains a warning that the battery should be placed outside of the reach of children, and that it shouldn’t be placed where it can be easily touched because it can get hot during operation. Contrast this with the Tesla Powerwall site that says that the powerwall is pet- and child friendly without visible cables or hot ventilation vents.
All this just to say that there’s more than price/kWh storage that counts. Some people will appreciate the low price/kWh of the Chinese product, others will value the design features of the powerwall beyond just the price/kWh. I wouldn’t count Tesla out in this market, not in residential nor in the utility market.
Then go SolarEdge.

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: STUtoday and NicoV
One really wonders who's selling right now? Seems to me that most of the retail on margin already capitulated, likely most retail left are early investors who still see a strong return on their initial investment

Why did the manips allow or cause the alternative uptick rule to be triggered on Tuesday? Presumably the scary, scary drama is helpful to their ends. But maybe it also gives them a feel for how close the bottom might be.

How do they back out of their overall short positions ahead of retail shorts? Is it just that they have to move faster as in devil take the hindmost? Or, perhaps there are mechanisms that give them quicker access to the exits—perhaps that dark pool buy mentioned above was one such. Given such mechanisms, they might feel more comfortable tip toeing closer to the brink.

TBH, I think you need to be brave, or stupid, to short down here, the trade must be very crowded indeed. However, I think the primary mechanism recently has been the massive put selling every week, forcing the MM's to hedge and sell stock. Put selling is less risky than short-selling shares, so they can be bolder

But again, why sell short here? People and institutions primarily trade to make profits, the profit on the downside seems severely limited at this price-point, makes no sense. I do wonder if it's not covertly backed by some nefarious deep-pockets - not that the SP going low will necessarily hurt the company, but it froments anger with shareholderst. It's one of my pet theories that they keep forcing the price down to try to get Elon ousted from the company. I may be in cloud-cuckoo land, but it's one of the few reasons I can think for this continual selling, along with the barrage of FUD levelled at home (some of which he has Brough own himself, of course)
Seems like the main stream media (MSM) find Twitter under Elon a threat so they are going after him and Tesla with a vengeance. Folks have also long been admonished not to fight city hall. Elon is disrupting plenty of industries. The manips may have gotten more of a maelstrom of FUD than usual for their nickel and perhaps they’ve started believe it themselves.

But it also might just be the Hedgies - after all there were a lot of >2 years LEAPS sold during the spilt and S&P run-ups that would be worth a fortune over the last few months, huge motivation to kill the SP and wipe them all out
👍🏻
And now, with the puts piling-up, maybe it's time to harvest those...?
👍🏻
Also we must note that many shareholders have been converting shares to LEAPS recently, that will surely put upward price-pressure on the stock over time
Presumably that is not quite as effective as just buying shares or even, perhaps, just holding.

But until we get some kind of positive news, good earnings, new models, refreshes, CT order page at competitive prices, etc., it's hard to see a recovery... the silence from Tesla is quite deafening

People have complained for a long time that Elon should do something about the FUD. Seems to me he is doing just that in a first principles way. He is digging at the roots of one influential source and indirectly creating pressure on the MSM.

People are not all that excited to take delivery of a new car when they are sick with COVID, and infection rates are running rampant.
Except other OEMs don't have this issue. I'll post more details later ... But what is happening sees clear to me.

Like in any recession, Chinese consumers are switching to lower priced cars from BYD.

Tesla needs lower priced models / trims. Tesla is absolutely in a unique place in China - high volume &high price. See Tesla Daily from a few days ago where he showed the graph of volume vs price for various models.

The way the industry is going, EV chargers are going to be as stupid as consumer electronics chargers - pretty much every single product has its own charger that isn't compatible with other products.
Mostly it’s going to be like smartphones were 5 years ago where Apple had the plug that worked well and the rest of the industry had a standard (micro-USB) that sucked. USB-C seems to be bringing everything together nicely at this point on that side of the world (and most consumer electronics).

Since there isn’t a DC fast charger equivalent of USB-C, hopefully other vendors will get some sense and switch to Tesla’s standard because the idea of switching to CCS is kind of gross and CCS doesn’t seem to support a path to 500kW+ charging speeds we’ll need.

Sorry if already posted, but here are a couple articles about the Boring Company's Las Vegas tunnels. CES is taking place there now so it is in high use.

-Seems the Gizmodo writer was trying hard to knock the idea, but could not find much to complain about other than it was somewhat boring.

-Short article with nothing new; positive overall.