Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can I get a brief summary of Chanos and MegaPack? Are we expecting some drastic change in Q4 report next week or is this all about future state?
Zerosumgame33 claiming the megapack will have over 50% margins. If true expected to start to show up in Q4 and obviously much more as we move forward with the tax credits etc.

Personally, I have a hard time believing they have taken margins from 0 to 50% in one design cycle and much of the analysis is bottom up assumptions on costs rather than the delta from where we are today.

I had a neighbor ready to get a Tesla. She now adamantly refuses and will wait and pay more for Mercedes to get their EQB to market.

I'd expect that's an example of a lifetime customer loss right there. And she's not gonna be the only one.
Is your neighbor aware that Mercedes was involved in the diesel emission cheating scandal? Is she ok with Mercedes making people sick? Is she a moron?

Last edited:
Great video. Lots of good info and very little fluff. I took some notes and thought I’d share here.

[snip]

$35k estimated cost of long range AWD 3 in 2018 (not inflation adjusted)

SR LFP 3 costs thousands less, maybe $31k

Front drive module costs well over $1500

Front motor is induction so cheaper because no magnets in rotor. Also rotor and stator are smaller

Cheaper power electronics bc silicon instead of silicon carbide and also depopulated (fewer components)

No front half-shaft

[snip]
Thanks for the summary.

I may need to go watch, but I don't understand this.

An AWD vehicle would need half shafts, unless:

1) It has a solid axle (no way Tesla is doing this)

2) It has 2 motors at that location, both Left and Right... as far as I know that's only on the rear for the Plaid

I wonder if he was referring to something in a different context...

Last edited:
Looks like something out of a cartoon movie. Do they have a tie in with a new Disney Cars movie?
That´s what I meant earlier with infantile. They lost their way. Full collision with Mini, plus the profits are toast.
Is BMW now a small boyracer brand? WTF

Guess the whole competition is effed besides Porschäää and Hyundai/KIA.
Catch 22 to the fullest.
You turn electric, You loose against the Gorilla.
You keep on, goes down even faster.

If just this 420 secured "suit" wouldn´t happen right now.....I see Elon in a corner here. And one knows what´s happening when he´s cornered:
full blown lashing out through other channels, insultings, extremes.

MV5BMTIzMjkyNTIyNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODI1MzY3._V1_.jpg

A quote from @Papafox daily chart analysis: Here.

“What is so strange about the options volumes on Wednesday is all the action in the 160s and higher puts. I have no idea why”

Does anyone have any insight on the implications of this? Thanks in advance.
If those are sold puts, anticipation of those expiring out of the money so rising SP above 160.
If bought puts...

Reactions: FSDtester#1
A quote from @Papafox daily chart analysis: Here.

“What is so strange about the options volumes on Wednesday is all the action in the 160s and higher puts. I have no idea why”

Does anyone have any insight on the implications of this? Thanks in advance.
I suspect that a lot of the 160 put action is from Uncle Leo, he was selling puts at 160 to try to support the stock. (At least I think that is what he said.)

CEO of Qualcomm explains the changes in the auto and other industries in supplier relationship to ensure chip shortages should never happen again for competent OEMs.

In short, my understanding of the auto industry chip shortage was caused when the pandemic hit and OEMs reduced their supplier orders, and those suppliers reduced their chip orders, which caused the chip manufacturers to divert their chip manufacturing schedule to other customers. But once diverted or for worse shutdown of legacy manufacturing capacity, it is not possible for chip makers to change their commitment to other customers and quickly restart the making of auto chips.

The change in auto OEM/chip supplier relationship is simply that auto OEMs are now forming direct relationship with the chip industry to ensure this never happens again.

He said that currently, for the most part, there is no chip shortage for the auto industry, and none with Qualcomm.

Other points discussed in the interview:
- Qualcomm makes chips in the 4nm through 100nm sizes for cellular through power applications
- China remains a important supplier of the legacy technology chips

Link to YouTube segment starting at 3m07s where he talks about chip supply process for auto OEMs

Last edited:
CEO of Qualcomm explains the changes in the auto and other industries in supplier relationship to ensure shortages should never happen again for competent OEMs.

In short, my understanding of the auto industry chip shortage was caused when the pandemic hit and OEMs reduced their supplier orders, and those suppliers reduced their chip orders, which caused the chip manufacturers to divert their chip manufacturing schedule to other customers. But once diverted or for worse shutdown of legacy manufacturing capacity, it is not possible for chip makers to change their commitment to other customers and quickly restart the making of auto chips.

The change in auto OEM/chip supplier relationship is simply that auto OEMs are now forming direct relationship with the chip industry to ensure this never happens again.

He said that currently, for the most part, there is no chip shortage for the auto industry, and none with Qualcomm.

Other points discussed in the interview:
- Qualcomm makes chips in the 4nm through 100nm sizes for cellular through power applications
- China remains a important supplier of the legacy technology chips

Link to YouTube segment starting at 3m07s where he talks about chip supply process for auto OEMs
"we leave 2022 with much better visibility of our future silicon supply chain than we entered with. As a result, we can say with confidence that, after a lean first quarter, we expect supply to recover to pre-pandemic levels in the second quarter of 2023, and to be unlimited in the second half of the year."

"we leave 2022 with much better visibility of our future silicon supply chain than we entered with. As a result, we can say with confidence that, after a lean first quarter, we expect supply to recover to pre-pandemic levels in the second quarter of 2023, and to be unlimited in the second half of the year."

Wasn't a large part of the problem that Auto OEMs wanted to continue using chips manuf on 35 and 45nm processes, and when orders dried up the fabs decommissioned those ancient lines in order to deploy more capacity at current nodes?

The 170 puts at 100,000 in volume is over 17 Billion in value if assigned. I think that's even out of Uncle Leo's wallet size.
You are off by an order of magnitude. It would only be $1.7 Billion. (And are you actually talking volume, which is meaningless for this, since it could be just one option traded 100k times.)

And I'm not seeing open interest anywhere near those levels. For what expiration are you seeing that level of open interest?

You are off by an order of magnitude. It would only be $1.7 Billion. (And are you actually talking volume, which is meaningless for this, since it could be just one option traded 100k times.)

And I'm not seeing open interest anywhere near those levels. For what expiration are you seeing that level of open interest?

My bad, I was looking at papafox's trade chart as the OI chart and did the calc from there.

Best guess based upon the actual OI chart was that someone was taking advantage yesterday of the dip in share price to close out those positions and reduce risk come Friday.

• Helpful
Reactions: capster