Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume they exported a lot of their production in Jan 22 and that their new "flatten the curve" approach is at least responsible for a part of this.
According to the ship-trackers, there are a record number of boats stuffed with Teslas en-route from China, so no, this isn't the main explanation. I guess they had quite some inventory, maybe a load of folks that could register in December due to zero-covid, etc.

All very pertinent points.

I don't think tiny roads for driving are the issue per se. However parking is a very real problem.

My house is in a typical European town/city street with on-street parking, specifically southern UK terraced townhouses. I note my house because it is precisely an average UK house. I've previously noted the parking constraint that affects many such locations around the world, and I've oft made the point that the Golf is an optimal size for daily usage in such parking situations whilst still being a perfectly adequate family car.

Tesla S : L x W x H: 4970 x 1964 x 1445 mm

Range Rover : L x W x H: 5252 x 1990 x 1870 mm

Golf 8: L x W x H: 4633 x 2073 x 1498

Tesla Model Y: L x W xH : 4775 x 2129 x 1624

Tesla Model 3: L x W x H: 4694 x 2088 x 1443

All including extended mirrors.

So? I don't understand this discussion.

Tesla sells 66,051 China-made vehicles in Jan, CPCA data show​

This represents a 10.37 percent increase over the 59,845 vehicles sold in the same month last year and an 18.38 percent increase over the 55,796 vehicles sold in December.

edit: I assume differences in Chinese New Year dates suppresses that YoY number significantly.
Like always what I am really interested in is the production number for January. Were the non New Year holiday weeks at record levels or down.

For street parking ordinarily the length is the pertinent question, and I think you are looking at the wrong model of Golf.

I think you are looking at the Golf estate of 4.6m, not the Golf hatchback of 4.2m . The Golf estate is a low seller, the hatch is the common seller.

(my opinion is that anyone who really wants a VW estate buys the Passat which is far better value in the VW models than the overpriced Golf estate; or the Skoda Octavia which although it is the Golf estate in disguise does manage to be cheaper and is noticeably larger)

============

For driving the width tends to be the question. But as another poster has already pointed out, in the lanes that does tend to depend on whether you are prepared to jam your car into the vegetation of the hedge. The townies and posh cars won't, the locals will. Since we drive the old wrecks they are normally scared of us dinging their nice stuff, and they end up reversing to a passing point. Us locals just jam ourselves in the hedges and can squish past each other.

I'd love a model 3, but one day in my dreams when I do get one, I am wondering quite how the paintwork - and resale value - is going to respond to that sort of behavior.

Last edited:

Im absolutely sure that the Range Rover and Model S figures are with folded mirrors

Tesla sells 66,051 China-made vehicles in Jan, CPCA data show​

This represents a 10.37 percent increase over the 59,845 vehicles sold in the same month last year and an 18.38 percent increase over the 55,796 vehicles sold in December.

edit: I assume differences in Chinese New Year dates suppresses that YoY number significantly.
Incorrect, 58,845 2022 number includes wholesale exports, 66,051 is just local CN sales, the wholesale number will come next week

How will WS react to Jobs Report? Headline number 517K jobs added and 3.4% unemployment.
If inflation is coming down and jobs are intact, sounds like marshmallow soft landing to me.

Honestly with the rise of globalization, interest rates has less to do with inflation vs the 1980s. It's all about global production where supply and competition keeps inflation in check.

reducing vehicle prices and making them more affordable is a deliberate Tesla strategy, not a reaction to decreasing demand
what most do not get is this: Tesla is going to price out everybody including BYD when it comes to quality
within next few years Tesla will be the last man standing
This shows a total lack of understanding of Tesla's mission, which is to move the world to sustainability. Tesla can't do that on it's own as Elon has often said, so no, their reason for pricing moves is most certainly not to make them the last man standing.

FYI, I've decided to mainly use Twitter for the foreseeable future vs using this thread and @adiggs "be the house" thread, largely due to trolls and other difficult posters. I've had to ignore so many that it hurts.

I'll come here from time to time, but it is just not the place that makes me feel more informed and well rounded moreso than my Twitter feed.

Thank you for so much discord over the years and I wish all well!
Dang it, I will miss your actual Tesla and FSD knowledge and your insightful demeanor. Perhaps see you in the Twittersphere. Thank you for your contributions.

This shows a total lack of understanding of Tesla's mission, which is to move the world to sustainability. Tesla can't do that on it's own as Elon has often said, so no, their reason for pricing moves is most certainly not to make them the last man standing.
I'm not sure Tesla's strategy is always aligned with its official mission (bitcoin, robots…). Remember Google's motto was "don't be evil" until it wasn't (profits > ethics), even though its co-founders still had full control over the company.

Lets not give GM more credit than they deserve here.

Their EVs are a joke. Calling them “Luxury” is being over-generous. You can put the most comfortable seats on the planet on top of a pile of junk and it’s still a pile of junk. That’s not luxury. The only reason they aren’t widely recognized as the joke they are is because GM hasn’t shipped enough of them for word to get out about exactly how bad they are. Once they are in the hands of more than a few owners, they will get ripped hard.

As it is, the Hummer EV is already getting a bit of a crap rep and there are only a handful out there.
:cool:
this was Googles response to my question
"How many EV has GM sold in 2022?"

I agree with you 100%

Spoiler response:
If all else fails, you can retreat to your (hopefully) fully charged MY buttoned up in your garage and stay warm in camp mode. Edit: Do NOT try this with ICE.
Just finished my second round of Covid, but with Paxlovid. Barely any symptoms.
We have 2 Model Ys, no garage so they are out in the cold but under a carport. The only ICE we own is weighing down our trees. ;)Both cars are around 60%. I suspect they would have carried us through two more nights if needed. Sun is up now and Powerwall being charged by solar, but yesterday solar stopped generating for no known reason. If it keeps generating today, Powerwall will be back at 100% by lunchtime. Neither the Tesla app nor the SolarEdge app showed any reason for stopping, so fingers crossed.

Glad you kicked this virus to the curb. Still got me in its clutches.