Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
CNBC is about to discuss the Model Y being the best-selling vehicle in California

EDIT: well that wasn't too bad! Almost like promotion! :D

Tesla Model Y becomes the best-selling vehicle in California | CNBC Television on Youtube

It's funny that Phil Labeau says that "1 out of every 10 vehicles sold in California is now a Tesla". Well, guess what Phil? 11.2% market share is better than 1 out of every 9 sold in CA.

BTW, this is at least the 3rd time CNBC TV has announced that Model Y has become the "Best in CA": :p

Tesla Model Y and Model 3 are California's best selling cars through September | CNBC TV (Nov 12, 2022)
Tesla Model Y & Model 3 Two Best Selling Vehicles In California | CNBC TV (Jan 9, 2023)

Maybe pretend this just happened? Surprise!

Cheers!

The ongoing deadline creep with FSD v11 doesn't help.
I wish everyone would be more cautious about wanting v11 before it's ready. LOTS of Tesla owners utilize autopilot on freeways/highways every day...including those who are not interested in FSD. As with all things FSD, there's likely to be a step backwards with the step forward. With v11 going to a single stack, I'm pretty sure that the old venerable autopilot that many are accustomed to will go away and replaced with the new, shiny, FSD stack to do its bidding. I hope this switch is transparent, or even an improvement...but experience tells me it may not all be better. I can promise you that I would not take the upgrade before a long road trip! Anyway, the fact that v11 is delayed is OK with me....take as much time as they need to get it right.

I wish everyone would be more cautious about wanting v11 before it's ready. LOTS of Tesla owners utilize autopilot on freeways/highways every day...including those who are not interested in FSD. As with all things FSD, there's likely to be a step backwards with the step forward. With v11 going to a single stack, I'm pretty sure that the old venerable autopilot that many are accustomed to will go away and replaced with the new, shiny, FSD stack to do its bidding. I hope this switch is transparent, or even an improvement...but experience tells me it may not all be better. I can promise you that I would not take the upgrade before a long road trip! Anyway, the fact that v11 is delayed is OK with me....take as much time as they need to get it right.

Yeah, for me, the last FSD build was a substantial step back. Too aggressive in places where it was doing well previously.

But the trend . . . I like the trend. I keep telling people that 6 months ago FSD drove like a 3 year old. Now, it drives like a drunken 13 year old. Neither I want in control, but the progress is undeniable.

I wish everyone would be more cautious about wanting v11 before it's ready. … Anyway, the fact that v11 is delayed is OK with me....take as much time as they need to get it right.
Likewise. My comment isn’t pointed at getting FSD released in an unprepared state. It is about messaging.

Musk keeps saying “It’ll be out in ?? weeks” and it doesn’t arrive. I get it, I code for a living and don’t do anything this complex. Estimates are hard. But if Tesla is ever going to shake the image of being the company that perpetually misses deadlines, they need to stop making arbitrary deadlines and missing them. FSD is particularly bad because Tesla has taken $1000s from people to deliver this feature.

How ‘bout a picture of the three cars lined up! In fact, line them up in the rain so we can see those amazing orange roofs on those early builds.

No pictures of the three white 3's lines up, yesterday I dropped my Performance Model 3 off at a body shop to repair the $5K in damage when my neighbor backed her F-150 into the rear quarter-panel of my Performance Model 3. It was so sad, and I couldn't bear the thought of driving a rental car for a month (no Tesla available).

I had to drive our gasoline F-150 the other day and it was a jarring experience. First, it took forever to start blowing warm air so the windows would clear, I got out to grab a jacket and got a big lungful of toxic gases. When the windshield had defogged, I had to use my entire arm just to select a gear with the column mounted selector that moves almost an entire foot, made me think I was driving a tractor from 1950, then, I noticed the stereo sounded like a bad dream, I checked the equalizer settings but could not improve the muffled sound. When I arrived, I had to turn the key off which resulted in the wipers stopping in the deployed position. Really? As I left the truck the obnoxious ding-dong sound let me know I had left the key in the ignition so I stashed them in my front pocket so I wouldn't lose them. As I was walking away, I realized I still had to lock the doors, so I fished my key fob out of my pocket and pushed the 'lock' button and the horn blared an obnoxious confirmation instead of the brief 'chirp" of the Tesla.

Driving ICE cars is so complicated!

When I had completed my business, I had to turn into traffic from a stop sign which required me to spin the steering wheel around multiple times just to make a decent 90 degree turn from the stop. The gas pedal needed to pushed most of the way to the floor to prevent impeding approaching traffic but there was a big, sluggish time delay and, right when it felt like it was picking up, it had to shift which jolted my reality. The gas pedal seemed so disconnected from the speed of the vehicle, almost like it had a mind of its own. The V-8 made a big roar and whooshing sound of air sucking into the intake that completely overwhelmed the lethargic acceleration. The steering wheel seemed more like a device to make course suggestions, not a device worthy of steering a vehicle with any precision or haste. I feel more vulnerable to other traffic in our tall F-150 4x4 than in our low slung and much lighter but more maneuverable Model 3's.

This is why I couldn't get a rental car.

No pictures of the three white 3's lines up, yesterday I dropped my Performance Model 3 off at a body shop to repair the $5K in damage when my neighbor backed her F-150 into the rear quarter-panel of my Performance Model 3. It was so sad, and I couldn't bear the thought of driving a rental car for a month (no Tesla available).

I had to drive our gasoline F-150 the other day and it was a jarring experience. First, it took forever to start blowing warm air so the windows would clear, I got out to grab a jacket and got a big lungful of toxic gases. When the windshield had defogged, I had to use my entire arm just to select a gear with the column mounted selector that moves almost an entire foot, made me think I was driving a tractor from 1950, then, I noticed the stereo sounded like a bad dream, I checked the equalizer settings but could not improve the muffled sound. When I arrived, I had to turn the key off which resulted in the wipers stopping in the deployed position. Really? As I left the truck the obnoxious ding-dong sound let me know I had left the key in the ignition so I stashed them in my front pocket so I wouldn't lose them. As I was walking away, I realized I still had to lock the doors, so I fished my key fob out of my pocket and pushed the 'lock' button and the horn blared an obnoxious confirmation instead of the brief 'chirp" of the Tesla.

When I had completed my business, I had to turn into traffic from a stop sign which required me to spin the steering wheel around multiple times just to make a decent 90 degree turn from the stop. The gas pedal needed to pushed most of the way to the floor to prevent impeding approaching traffic but there was a big, sluggish time delay and, right when it felt like it was picking up, it had to shift which jolted my reality. The gas pedal seemed so disconnected from the speed of the vehicle, almost like it had a mind of its own. The V-8 made a big roar and whooshing sound of air sucking into the intake that completely overwhelmed the lethargic acceleration. The steering wheel seemed more like a device to make course suggestions, not a device worthy of steering a vehicle with any precision or haste. I feel more vulnerable to other traffic in our tall F-150 4x4 than in our low slung and much lighter but more maneuverable Model 3's.

This is why I couldn't get a rental car.
This story reads like a novelette 'Period Piece' ;-)

How ‘bout a picture of the three cars lined up! In fact, line them up in the rain so we can see those amazing orange roofs on those early builds.
That would be a nice picture. Oh I really miss my first Tesla, an early Model 3 build with the greatest orange roof whenever it rained. People would often comment on it.

I go out into the back country a lot and don’t want to take my Model Y up into the chunky/ muddy roads so I end up driving the Subaru and end up dealing with those same things. More than once I’ve gotten out of a running car and started to walk away.

Younger people raised on Teslas are going to be completely baffled with the rituals of driving an ICE vehicle.

Nobody wants V11 before it's ready. In fact, nobody wants V11 (well, except for techies like me who are curious about single stack). What people want is FSD that works much better than it does now. Elon has sold V11 as that thing, but of course it won't be -- whenever it comes.

I will be very surprised if it is noticeably better than the FSD that's out there now. And I will be shocked if Autopilot on highways is noticeable better.

Likewise. My comment isn’t pointed at getting FSD released in an unprepared state. It is about messaging.

Musk keeps saying “It’ll be out in ?? weeks” and it doesn’t arrive. I get it, I code for a living and don’t do anything this complex. Estimates are hard. But if Tesla is ever going to shake the image of being the company that perpetually misses deadlines, they need to stop making arbitrary deadlines and missing them. FSD is particularly bad because Tesla has taken $1000s from people to deliver this feature.
When I programmed I would always guesstimate a conservative time frame assuming lots of last minute "can you change this?" and then add 50% so I'd come in early and people would either appreciate what I did or tell me that even though it was what they asked for it wasn't what they really needed. Musk appears to always assume no hurdles and then subtracts 50% so everyone is disappointed. And still he can't make enough cars to meet demand.

Tesla is this close to Toyota without:
  • Large SUV that can actually go off road
  • Pickup truck
  • Minivan
  • Sport coupe

Toyota gross total 2022 sales: 289
Less segments unserved by Tesla: 201​
Tesla gross total: 187
I'd argue that Tesla has made the distinctions between vehicle size-segments blurry with a lot of holes.
Two recent anecdotes: A friend of mine was considering both the Model Y and the Acura MDX to replace old minivan. He ended up choosing the MDX (a full-sized SUV) because the Model Y, at $69,000 (with 7 seats), was a bit too expensive. Another friend recently sold his minivan and purchased a Model Y. I myself replaced my compact hatchback with a Model 3, a mid-sized car.

The limited size options offered by Tesla are causing customers to reconsider their priorities in a vehicle.

Here's California data to support my claim:
1675894320823.png

"Compact SUV" sales have declined by 17% since 2019, but overall vehicle sales have declined by 20% in the same period. This indicates that the "Compact SUV" segment has slightly increased in proportion, despite Model Y drawing a lot of customers away to "Luxury Compact SUV" segment. A large portion of 84% growth in "Luxury Compact SUV" (driven by Model Y) must have come from other size segments.
The addressable market of Model 3 and Y is much larger than most people realize.

Nobody wants V11 before it's ready. In fact, nobody wants V11 (well, except for techies like me who are curious about single stack). What people want is FSD that works much better than it does now. Elon has sold V11 as that thing, but of course it won't be -- whenever it comes.

I will be very surprised if it is noticeably better than the FSD that's out there now. And I will be shocked if Autopilot on highways is noticeable better.
Elon is def not selling V11 as something better than V10. Seems to be the opposite this time around. No fire emojis and how it will blow your mind. I am bracing for it to be worst since it's a year late.

Also had this last July, but who knows how things have evolved since then