Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Woz can’t see the forest for the trees. He sells his Tesla for an inferior EV because Elon‘s predictions were BS. How that helps himself is a mystery. Presumably, being a minor celebrity, being able to publicly call out Elon is his reward. In Woz, I see an egotistical grandstander. Woz was damn lucky he knew Steve Jobs because otherwise he’d be an anonymous competent mid level engineer working for some random company.

The amount of hate spewed on Musk - dishonest, fraud, thief, swindler, narcissist, etc.. - just because FSD in all its glory is still not here, is just nauseating. These are the people who will not acknowledge how much FSD has progressed so far and how massively difficult the problem is

My friend who bought (back) my restored '63 Convertible a couple years ago just told me that he and his wife (her especially) plan on getting a Cybertruck. My head spun but then she's also retired in the construction industry and used to own a lot of heavy equipment for earth moving. **SNIP*** They BOTH like the look, especially the Stainless Steel which resonated with her because she used to be the proud owner of a Delorean.

CyberTruck is a Clean-Powerful statement that connects on several levels. I suspect we'll be seeing more women driving CyberTruck, a movement onto it's own, simple, easy to maintain, shiny clean. Get ready Southern Cal.
My feeling is the Cybertruck is going to quickly gain a reputation as a truck that gets sh_tuff done and the look will become synonymous with will being a tough non-nonsense vehicle. Much like the Wranglers awkward shape is synonymous with off-roading, Cybertruck’s shape will become the “Getting sh_tuff done” shape.

Back in the day, GM took advantage of the Hummer’s military background to make it into a brand based on that image, but it eventually fell apart because fundamentally Hummers were tremendously wasteful and impractical for civilian uses. The Cybertruck borrows a bit of that boxy look but it is ultimately a practical vehicle.

Practical people (there are a lot of us) will be drawn to the Cybertruck. People who worry over the appearance or what the wiper looks like will get tired and move on.

This really should not affect Tesla at all. They were already planning to open up the charging network. Sure the new policy may perhaps force Tesla to charge the same rate and open the entire network to non-Teslas, but once EVGo and EA inevitably go out of business and the funding runs out, Tesla can again dictate whatever the hell they want with the SC network.

Woz can’t see the forest for the trees. He sells his Tesla for an inferior EV because Elon‘s predictions were BS. How that helps himself is a mystery. Presumably, being a minor celebrity, being able to publicly call out Elon is his reward. In Woz, I see an egotistical grandstander. Woz was damn lucky he knew Steve Jobs because otherwise he’d be an anonymous competent mid level engineer working for some random company.
Woz was a top level engineer. It's not that Woz was lucky he knew Jobs. Woz and Jobs were lucky they knew each other.

Remember back in June Musk said Tesla was going to start opening up Superchargers to other brands and never did?

I think regulators were afraid Tesla was going to scoop up all of the government money for this and they piled on requirements until it was no longer profitable for Tesla to do it. Would not be surprised if Tesla shelved the whole effort. Now people buying non-Teslas are screwed. They can’t use Superchargers and the US government is paying out billions to companies which create unreliable, poorly maintained networks of chargers.

“Tesla will be forced to unlock Superchargers or forego Federal funding…”

Seems pretty clear to me what Tesla chose here. Musk/ Tesla have made it clear in the past that they won’t jump through hoops to get government handouts. I think the states and the federal administration ___ed around and found out. Telsa doesn’t need their money to build Superchargers. Other car brands need a reliable charging network a lot more than Tesla needs other brands at Superchargers. It’s not even close.

Maybe we’ll see CCS at Superchargers, but I’m starting to think that time has passed. Rather than even attempting to make CCS charging, Tesla quietly opened up their charging standard. I think it’s an invite to other automakers. Farley is the least moronic of them, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ford’s adopting NACS and being welcomed at Superchargers in the next couple years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine why Tesla wouldn't want to open the chargers to all. Doing so is on mission and generates more income. The only downside I can think of is potential inconvenience to Tesla owners. The only place I've ever seen a wait at super chargers is on the internet.
In some parts of Southern CA, there is def a wait. I do not supercharge often anymore due to installing the Tesla charger at home but sometimes the wait is pretty significant.

I can't imagine why Tesla wouldn't want to open the chargers to all. Doing so is on mission and generates more income. The only downside I can think of is potential inconvenience to Tesla owners. The only place I've ever seen a wait at super chargers is on the internet.
I depends on whether Tesla are allowed to charge a premium for those (i.e. non-Tesla owners) who did not help pay for the existing network. I could easily see the Government insist on consistent rates for everyone.

In that case, I might say screw the federal funding, continue to do it alone. If the calculus works out that federal funding really will speed the Tesla network expansion without degrading the current experience, maybe it’s worth it.

Everyone should watch this short presentation from JB on the $2b offer. They bring up the head construction and electrical managers to speak and if this doesn't give you the good ole "America is great, this is what we should be striving for" I don't know what will.

Elon's social media approach has been artificial from day one. THIS is the way to bring ALL Americans together.

My feeling is the Cybertruck is going to quickly gain a reputation as a truck that gets sh_tuff done and the look will become synonymous with will being a tough non-nonsense vehicle. Much like the Wranglers awkward shape is synonymous with off-roading, Cybertruck’s shape will become the “Getting sh_tuff done” shape.

Back in the day, GM took advantage of the Hummer’s military background to make it into a brand based on that image, but it eventually fell apart because fundamentally Hummers were tremendously wasteful and impractical for civilian uses. The Cybertruck borrows a bit of that boxy look but it is ultimately a practical vehicle.

Practical people (there are a lot of us) will be drawn to the Cybertruck. People who worry over the appearance or what the wiper looks like will get tired and move on.
I can't wait until we see a comparison between the CT and a Lightning, when they're driven sideways over a curb (or something similar off road) and you see the Lightning's cab and bed go different directions while the CT remains a solid one piece.

The Baja 1000 and Barstow to Vegas should be awesome in the near future!

Remember back in June Musk said Tesla was going to start opening up Superchargers to other brands and never did?

I think regulators were afraid Tesla was going to scoop up all of the government money for this and they piled on requirements until it was no longer profitable for Tesla to do it. Would not be surprised if Tesla shelved the whole effort. Now people buying non-Teslas are screwed. They can’t use Superchargers and the US government is paying out billions to companies which create unreliable, poorly maintained networks of chargers.

“Tesla will be forced to unlock Superchargers or forego Federal funding…”

Seems pretty clear to me what Tesla chose here. Musk/ Tesla have made it clear in the past that they won’t jump through hoops to get government handouts. I think the states and the federal administration ___ed around and found out. Telsa doesn’t need their money to build Superchargers. Other car brands need a reliable charging network a lot more than Tesla needs other brands at Superchargers. It’s not even close.

Maybe we’ll see CCS at Superchargers, but I’m starting to think that time has passed. Rather than even attempting to make CCS charging, Tesla quietly opened up their charging standard. I think it’s an invite to other automakers. Farley is the least moronic of them, I wouldn’t be surprised to see Ford’s adopting NACS and being welcomed at Superchargers in the next couple years.
Yeah, if Tesla has to add card readers, touch screens, additional software, protocols -yechhh. Offer NACS (edit: and add Tesla app support) and call it a day.

Last edited:

Depends on what the Federal requirements are. If the Feds want credit card readers / P.O.S. at every charger head, and require that each charger have a build-in status display, that would be a significant expense for Tesla to retrofit, and ultimately a waste of time and resources.

If the Fed's will PAY for the extras, that's okay. Otherwise, Tesla doesn't need the hassle, and the Gov't fails to serve the interests of other EV owners. Oh, wait...

No cell phone? Can't start a session? Go to the 7-Eleven across the parking lot and buy a pay-as-you-go burner phone. Works only on the Tesla SuperCharger Network (TSN) via RFID. See, Applista's? TeslaFone! Done'n'dusted. ;)

Last edited:
I depends on whether Tesla are allowed to charge a premium for those (i.e. non-Tesla owners) who did not help pay for the existing network. I could easily see the Government insist on consistent rates for everyone.

In that case, I might say screw the federal funding, continue to do it alone. If the calculus works out that federal funding really will speed the Tesla network expansion without degrading the current experience, maybe it’s worth it.

I think Tesla should get on it, drain the funding and wiping out competitors, and pull out once the money runs out. More money and more opportunities for non-Tesla owners to see the superiority of the SC network.

This really should not affect Tesla at all. They were already planning to open up the charging network. Sure the new policy may perhaps force Tesla to charge the same rate and open the entire network to non-Teslas, but once EVGo and EA inevitably go out of business and the funding runs out, Tesla can again dictate whatever the hell they want with the SC network.
I figure the Fed wants control of price at the "pump" + taxes they can add on to maintain the old grid that we messed up with our EVs /s.

Tesla created infrastructure, sorely needed. Fed needs to pay up, TSLA shareholders deserving. Reminds me of the Big Bang Theory when they came up with an efficient gyroscope and the Military took it over.

No. Because the federal funding will be so big and outrageous that Tesla with it's finely tuned supercharger building machine will be able to take the money and add these chargers at near zero cost, increasing the amount available to Tesla owners even with the other EV's factored in.

On second thought, this could plausibly be a reason for Elon to meet in Washington recently. If so, he looked comfortable with the outcome from the videos I saw. Could have been a deal of the century for the mission, followed by a mysterious increase to 80K for the Model Y rebate in the IRA. This all ties together nicely I think. With the added rebate revenue + a likely planned drop in price, pushes the "competition" even that much harder. It also levels the playing field on the EV experience. So whichever way it happens, I'm really glad there's a possible path so ALL BEVs can happily charge on long trips. Here's to that!